Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Philips CD960 transport belts?

I have a Philips CD960 CD player which has been in storage for a while
(okay, eight years). The rubber belts in the transport have hardened
and stretched and need to be replaced. Does anyone know of a source
for these parts? Philips service here in the U.S. doesn't seem to
even know that such a piece of equipment ever existed. Any help
appreciated!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Paul wrote:
I have a Philips CD960 CD player which has been in storage for a while
(okay, eight years). The rubber belts in the transport have hardened
and stretched and need to be replaced. Does anyone know of a source
for these parts? Philips service here in the U.S. doesn't seem to
even know that such a piece of equipment ever existed. Any help
appreciated!

Projector-Recorder Belt Co.

www.prbline.com/

or

If the belt is round or square, it can be replaced with a rubber O-ring.
Take the old one with you and get something about 10-20% smaller in
circumference. When I was doing AV repairs years ago, we'd get most of
our round "belts" as o-rings for diesel engines from the Caterpillar
dealer down the road. They were about half the price of belts from PRB.

Flat belts however are best done thru PRB.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Phase (active) and neutral were reversed on electric drill plug.

An old Hitachi electric drill as part of a set with many attachments had
a wrongly wired plug.

This is in New Zealand where the phase is the slanting pin socket on the
left. The sealed Hitachi plug attached to this faulty drill had the red
wire connected to the right hand pin as it is pushed in.

(Fault was less than tight brush scews)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
An old Hitachi electric drill as part of a set with many attachments had a
wrongly wired plug.

This is in New Zealand where the phase is the slanting pin socket on the
left. The sealed Hitachi plug attached to this faulty drill had the red
wire connected to the right hand pin as it is pushed in.

(Fault was less than tight brush scews)

As far as I've always understood it, 'polarity' on two-wire double insulated
equipment, is more a matter of convention than safety, from a punter point
of view. Not quite the same for the service engineer who has to get inside
the equipment, where he will quite reasonably expect any power line fuses,
or single pole switches, to be in the live (phase) wire, rather than the
neutral.

There may be other issues - all my electrical theory was learnt at college a
long time ago, and by experience over the years - but I don't think that
there is a lot of (electrically practical) difference between a drill motor,
a light bulb, and a piece of kit with a transformer based power supply.

Inexcusable really of the manufacturer to wire it wrongly, but I have seen
many times, the two pin non-polarised europlug (thinking about it, there you
go - two pin, non-polarised) fitted to Aiwa hifis, inserted theoretically
backwards into the UK 13A permanent adaptor head, that they fit before
shipping the item out to the UK, so clearly, they don't think it's an issue.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Brian Sandle wrote:
An old Hitachi electric drill as part of a set with many attachments had
a wrongly wired plug.

This is in New Zealand where the phase is the slanting pin socket on the
left. The sealed Hitachi plug attached to this faulty drill had the red
wire connected to the right hand pin as it is pushed in.

(Fault was less than tight brush scews)

Reversing line and neutral won't stop a drill working.

--
*Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:59:32 +1200, Brian Sandle
wrote:

An old Hitachi electric drill as part of a set with many attachments had
a wrongly wired plug.

This is in New Zealand where the phase is the slanting pin socket on the
left. The sealed Hitachi plug attached to this faulty drill had the red
wire connected to the right hand pin as it is pushed in.

(Fault was less than tight brush scews)

That's good, thanks for telling the whole world.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:16:12 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Brian Sandle wrote:
An old Hitachi electric drill as part of a set with many attachments had
a wrongly wired plug.

This is in New Zealand where the phase is the slanting pin socket on the
left. The sealed Hitachi plug attached to this faulty drill had the red
wire connected to the right hand pin as it is pushed in.

(Fault was less than tight brush scews)

Reversing line and neutral won't stop a drill working.

No, but it will make Brian post to SER about it. That's a powerful
effect in its own!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Sandle wrote:
An old Hitachi electric drill as part of a set with many attachments had
a wrongly wired plug.

This is in New Zealand where the phase is the slanting pin socket on the
left. The sealed Hitachi plug attached to this faulty drill had the red
wire connected to the right hand pin as it is pushed in.

(Fault was less than tight brush scews)

Reversing line and neutral won't stop a drill working.

And all (AFAIK) recent power tools, especially drills have double
insulation.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Brian Sandle wrote:
An old Hitachi electric drill as part of a set with many attachments had
a wrongly wired plug.

This is in New Zealand where the phase is the slanting pin socket on the
left. The sealed Hitachi plug attached to this faulty drill had the red
wire connected to the right hand pin as it is pushed in.

(Fault was less than tight brush scews)

Reversing line and neutral won't stop a drill working.

--
*Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Reversing line and neutral also won't stop Nicole Bischoff from screaming
when you take the wires out of the drill and hook them up to her sloppy
****.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 09:18:02 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
An old Hitachi electric drill as part of a set with many attachments had a
wrongly wired plug.

This is in New Zealand where the phase is the slanting pin socket on the
left. The sealed Hitachi plug attached to this faulty drill had the red
wire connected to the right hand pin as it is pushed in.

(Fault was less than tight brush scews)

As far as I've always understood it, 'polarity' on two-wire double insulated
equipment, is more a matter of convention than safety, from a punter point
of view. Not quite the same for the service engineer who has to get inside
the equipment, where he will quite reasonably expect any power line fuses,
or single pole switches, to be in the live (phase) wire, rather than the
neutral.

I'm seeing a lot of this kind of PSU wiring in DVD players these days:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/DVD...Photos/PSU.jpg

One 2-pin plug connects to the mains, the other to a single pole power
switch. By interchanging the plugs you can either switch and fuse the
active lead, or switch and fuse the neutral lead. If you switch the
active lead, then the case potential drops to 0V. If you switch the
neutral, then the RF suppression caps elevate the case to full mains
potential, albeit harmlessly. However, the resultant tingle can cause
some consternation among consumers, and consequently some PR problems
for manufacturers.

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Brian Sandle" wrote

[...]

For Class II (double insulated) it should not be.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Brian Sandle" wrote

[...]

As I said I believed to be the case, also. But with the reservations
regarding engineer safety, when the covers are off ( although it should be
on a bench isolation transformer for open-case work, of course ... )

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Paul" wrote in message
I have a Philips CD960 CD player which has been in storage for a while
(okay, eight years). The rubber belts in the transport have hardened
and stretched and need to be replaced. Does anyone know of a source
for these parts? Philips service here in the U.S. doesn't seem to
even know that such a piece of equipment ever existed. Any help
appreciated!

Throw it in the trash. It probably doesn't even play MP3s.

Problem connecting Philips TV to Philips Sound System via HDMI Uncle Dave Electronics Repair 4 November 8th 06 02:58 AM
Repair help for philips cd960 René Electronics Repair 2 October 30th 06 05:53 PM
What will you say with Service Manuals provided by Philips for Philips DVD and Recorders Myauk Electronics Repair 1 October 19th 06 01:53 PM
OT - Boat Transport Mike Metalworking 4 March 23rd 06 01:06 AM
Marantz CD94 /Philips CD960 need repair help ! gasper Electronics Repair 1 October 12th 04 02:13 AM