Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Gateway GM5066E help

I am trying to add a 2nd hard drive to this computer. I have installed the
drive but the BIOS doesn't recognise it.
any suggestions. ( I tried the add hardware in Windows too)

TIA

W.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

SXMWendell wrote:

I am trying to add a 2nd hard drive to this computer. I have installed the
drive but the BIOS doesn't recognise it.

Not enough information. Your computer uses SATA drives what kind of
drive are you trying to use?

any suggestions. ( I tried the add hardware in Windows too)

That doesn't apply to hard drives. You have to look at the CMOS
settings to see if the motherboard recognizes it.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I am adding another Hitachi HDT722525DLA380 that I want to Ghost to this
drive since the origional is flaky.

I looked in BIOS and it is set to automaticly look for the drives but
doesn't show anything for this drive.

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

SXMWendell wrote:

I am trying to add a 2nd hard drive to this computer. I have installed
the
drive but the BIOS doesn't recognise it.

Not enough information. Your computer uses SATA drives what kind of
drive are you trying to use?

any suggestions. ( I tried the add hardware in Windows too)

That doesn't apply to hard drives. You have to look at the CMOS
settings to see if the motherboard recognizes it.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

SXMWendell wrote:

I am adding another Hitachi HDT722525DLA380 that I want to Ghost to this
drive since the origional is flakey.

I looked in BIOS and it is set to automaticly look for the drives but
doesn't show anything for this drive.

Do you have both cables (power & data) connected? Have you tried to see
if the motherboard sees it as the primary drive? Does the bios let you
turn off the second SATA port?

I can't find anything on the Hitachi website, but Seagate/Maxtor
gives these instructions:

Configuring the BIOS

Close your computer case and restart your computer. Your computer may
automatically detect your new drive. If your computer does not
automatically detect your new drive, follow the steps below.

Restart your computer. While the computer restarts, run the system setup
program (sometimes called BIOS or CMOS setup). This is usually done by
pressing a special key, such as DELETE, ESC, or F1 during the startup
process.

Within the system setup program, instruct the system to auto detect your
new drive.

Save the settings and exit the setup program. When your computer
restarts, it should recognize your new drive. If your system still
doesn't recognize your new drive, see the troubleshooting section on the
back of this sheet.

Note: Serial ATA is a new interface type. Some older systems may see the
drive and classify it as a SCSI device if you are using a Serial ATA
host adapter. This is normal even though this is not a SCSI disc drive.
Many systems’ BIOS will not identify a Serial ATA drive connected to a
PCI SATA host adapter. This is because a PCI SATA Host Adapter has its
own BIOS which is used to identify hard drives connected to it which is
separate from the BIOS of the computer. To determine whether or not the
SATA Host Adapter is detecting the Serial ATA hard drive, please consult
the documentation provided by the Serial ATA Host Adapter’s
manufacturer. This does not affect drive performance or capacity.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I am adding another Hitachi HDT722525DLA380 that I want to Ghost to this
drive since the origional is flaky.

I looked in BIOS and it is set to automaticly look for the drives but
doesn't show anything for this drive.

BIOS setups often have two sets of controls. One set controls how the
BIOS handles the setup for drives on the controllers it finds (e.g.
whether it asks the drive for its configuration, or uses a manually-
entered configuration). The other set controls which of the
hard-drive controller ports on the motherboard are enabled.

It is possible that the latter setting in your BIOS is set to "Primary
only" rather than "Both".

If this is the case, then the BIOS may very well be disabling the
secondary port completely when it configures the chipset. The port
wouldn't be active in the I/O register space, wouldn't connect to an
interrupt, and wouldn't show up during the enumeration (scanning) of
the PCI configuration space. The port (and any drive connected to it)
simply "wouldn't exist" to the rest of the BIOS, or to the operating
system.

Check the "Onboard peripherals" or "PCI peripherals" section of your
BIOS configuration, and make sure that the onboard IDE/SATA
configuration is set to "both".

If this is a dual-style (parallel-ATA and serial-ATA) motherboard, you
*might* have to disable the parallel-ATA port(s) in order to use both
SATA ports... or, load a specialized driver to allow you to use three
or more ports.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The primary drive is at SATA port 0 in the bios. The cursor just jumps over
SATA port 1 to 3 and master and slave settings. Trued changing all the
settings in the drive setup Bios , no difference . All the settings in Bios
are enable or automatic detect. There was no setting that could be changed
to both.

W.

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:00:45 -0500, SXMWendell wrote:

I am trying to add a 2nd hard drive to this computer. I have installed the
drive but the BIOS doesn't recognise it. any suggestions. ( I tried the
add hardware in Windows too)

TIA

W.

I can't say I'm familar with that machine.

Here a few SATA controller basics to look at.

Be shure it is not set up as a raid controller but rather as Ide or
compatable.

check your boot sequence settings because that sata port may be set to be
ignored.

check each sata port's settings they usually are independent of each other
so one setting isn't for all except raid which may include two or more
ports.

Try booting with just the new drive connected to the working port and
above all check and re-seat all drive cables in case one may not be fully
inserted into the socket.

I hope this may help
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 04:00:02 -0500, redd wrote:

Looks like the bios automaticly reads what drives are connected and where.
I put the cable from the C: drive to the different SATA ports and bios
showed the drives on the port connected. Changing from Raid to IDE had no
effect. Looks like I have a bad new drive or cable. I saw a jumper on the
mother bd. close to the cable connectors but have no documentation so I
left it alone.

Quoted Snipped

Generally unlabled jumpers are dangerous, I really hate makers that go to
such lengths just to be difficult and avoid proper documentation.

If the drive refused to be recognised using the working drive's cable and
power connectors it's a safe bet it is in trouble. That's why substituting
a non working unit for the working unit is a very important step in
troubleshooting this.

Wanderer ( think I prevously forgot to include a sig sorry)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I haven't been able to enable the drive in BIOS. The SATA ports are just
read by the Bios, the cursor jumps past them when paging to the next line to
configure. But the c:hard drive drive is listed at SATA port 0

W.

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:46:00 -0500, SXMWendell wrote:

I am adding another Hitachi HDT722525DLA380 that I want to Ghost to

this
drive since the origional is flaky.

I looked in BIOS and it is set to automaticly look for the drives but
doesn't show anything for this drive.

Ok here is what you do.

Make sure the SATA port you're trying to attach the drive to is enabled in
BIOS.

If it is enabled and the drive is not seen by the BIOS, swap cables and
attach the boot drive to the port. Is the boot drive seen?

If yes, swap cables only. Is the new drive seen now?

Yes - replace cable
No - replace drive.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

No - replace drive.

Why should he ****can a perfectly good drive, stupid?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:05:40 -0700, Curtis Brown wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

No - replace drive.

Why should he ****can a perfectly good drive, stupid?

Ah poor ProngTard does your buttz still hurt from the ass-whoopin I gave
you?

heh

heh. you ****ed ProngTard Ashleigh Cope in the ass?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 04:00:02 -0500, "redd" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Looks like the bios automaticly reads what drives are connected and where. I
put the cable from the C: drive to the different SATA ports and bios showed
the drives on the port connected. Changing from Raid to IDE had no effect.
Looks like I have a bad new drive or cable. I saw a jumper on the mother
bd. close to the cable connectors but have no documentation so I left it
alone.

AFAICT this is your motherboard manual (Intel D945GTP, NT94510J
Cortez):
http://download.intel.com/support/mo...d1407001us.pdf

The 3-pin jumper is documented on page 65. It doesn't appear to be
relevant to your problem.

I was wondering whether your motherboard had the earlier SATA
interface, so I checked out the following documents and found some
conflicting data, probably errors. For example, Intel's datasheet
states that your motherboard supports SATA 2 (3G/s transfer rate), but
Gateway's HDD spec refers to the SATA2 HD (3G/s) as having a Serial
ATA-150 (1.5 G/s) interface. FWIW, Seagate and Maxtor drives have a
1.5GB/3GB jumper for backward compatibility with slower SATA
interfaces, but I don't believe your Hitachi drive is so equipped.

http://support.intel.com/support/mot.../CS-029368.htm
http://support.intel.com/support/mot.../TP_manual.htm
http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/10...08881sp2.shtml
http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/10...08881cl3.shtml