Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to reduce IR sensitivity

I have an IR operated garbage can, trouble is the sensor is too
sensitive and it opens whenever you walk by. How can I reduce the
sensitivity of the IR receiver so I have to put my hand very close to
the sensor before the lid opens?

tia
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Father Guido wrote in message
I have an IR operated garbage can, trouble is the sensor is too
sensitive and it opens whenever you walk by. How can I reduce the
sensitivity of the IR receiver so I have to put my hand very close to
the sensor before the lid opens?

tia

Try various thicknesses of different plastics , clear or opaque, but not
polythene, over the sensor

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Father Guido wrote in message
I have an IR operated garbage can, trouble is the sensor is too
sensitive and it opens whenever you walk by. How can I reduce the
sensitivity of the IR receiver so I have to put my hand very close to
the sensor before the lid opens?

tia

Try various thicknesses of different plastics , clear or opaque, but not
polythene, over the sensor

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Or different colours of electricians' self-adhesive PVC tape.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
"N_Cook"

Try various thicknesses of different plastics , clear or opaque, but not
polythene, over the sensor

Or different colours of electricians' self-adhesive PVC tape.

Or drink loads of chilled beer to lower ye body temperature....

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In message , Adrian C
writes
Arfa Daily wrote:
"N_Cook"

Try various thicknesses of different plastics , clear or opaque, but not
polythene, over the sensor

Or different colours of electricians' self-adhesive PVC tape.

Or drink loads of chilled beer to lower ye body temperature....

That type of Selotape which is translucent milky white on the reel, but
almost invisible when used, is pretty good. Just use as many layers as
are required to obtain the required sensitivity. It also works well for
annoyingly high-intensity LED indicators on the front of STBs and the
like.
--
Ian

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Father Guido wrote:
I have an IR operated garbage can, trouble is the sensor is too
sensitive and it opens whenever you walk by. How can I reduce the
sensitivity of the IR receiver so I have to put my hand very close to
the sensor before the lid opens?

tia

Partly cover the pickup?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi, thanks for the tips, they all make some
sense to me. I'll try them out as I get materials!

Thanks again,

Norm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have used black electrical tape. I start by partialy covering the
sensor window, and increasing how much it is covered to reduce the
sensitivity.

Jerry G.

On Jul 15, 12:43*am, Father Guido wrote:
I have an IR operated garbage can, trouble is the sensor is too
sensitive and it opens whenever you walk by. How can I reduce the
sensitivity of the IR receiver so I have to put my hand very close to
the sensor before the lid opens?

tia

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 15, 12:43=A0am, Father Guido wrote:
I have an IR operated garbage can, trouble is the sensor is too
sensitive and it opens whenever you walk by. How can I reduce the
sensitivity of the IR receiver so I have to put my hand very close to
the sensor before the lid opens?

We used to use exposed Kodachrome. Got any bad old slides ??

greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

GregS wrote:

In article , "Jerry G." wrote:
I have used black electrical tape. I start by partialy covering the
sensor window, and increasing how much it is covered to reduce the
sensitivity.

Jerry G.

On Jul 15, 12:43=A0am, Father Guido wrote:
I have an IR operated garbage can, trouble is the sensor is too
sensitive and it opens whenever you walk by. How can I reduce the
sensitivity of the IR receiver so I have to put my hand very close to
the sensor before the lid opens?

We used to use exposed Kodachrome. Got any bad old slides ??

greg

How about 20 pounds of scrap, undeveloped Lithographic film?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I've tried various amounts of scotch tape, but just putting the tape
over the sensor activates it, and it never resets. I.e. I turned the
device off, placed tape over sensor in varying levels and positions
but when I turn the device on, it opens and refuses to close. Sigh.

I look at some of the other suggestions, thanks for your help!

Norm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Father Guido wrote:
I have an IR operated garbage can, trouble is the sensor is too
sensitive and it opens whenever you walk by. How can I reduce the
sensitivity of the IR receiver so I have to put my hand very close to
the sensor before the lid opens?

tia

do you know how it works?
I'd expect it to be passive, but the tape keeping it on
suggests active?
If it's passive, there needs to be some means to track
ambient conditions and react to change.
Attenuation will decrease SNR but probably not
do what you want.
I'd look at baffles/reflective surfaces to point the
detection
zone away from where you are.

The low-tech solution might be to rotate the can.

Or fill it with cold beer. Then you'd want it to open
when you go by. If the tool don't fit the job,
change the job...

Better yet, take out the batteries. Some things just
don't benefit from automation. ;-)
mike