DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Alkaline batteries in parallel with lithium cell? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/248559-alkaline-batteries-parallel-lithium-cell.html)

[email protected] May 3rd 08 12:12 PM

Alkaline batteries in parallel with lithium cell?

Can I use 2 alkaline batteries (3V) in parallel with a (non-
rechargable) lithium cell (3V) as a back up without problem?

Thanks

William Sommerwerck May 3rd 08 02:38 PM

Alkaline batteries in parallel with lithium cell?

Any difference in voltage between the batteries will cause current to flow
from the higher-voltage battery to the lower-voltage one.

If this makes you feel uncomfortable, it should. It's not a good idea to run
batteries in parallel, unless there is some mechanism (such as a series
diode) to block this flow.

Lithium coin cells aren't horribly expensive, especially if you buy from a
mail-order supplier. You can use the opportunity to stock up on batteries
you need for other stuff you own.

mike May 5th 08 03:48 PM

wrote:
Can I use 2 alkaline batteries (3V) in parallel with a (non-
rechargable) lithium cell (3V) as a back up without problem?

Thanks

Short answer is NO!
Since you give ZERO clues as to what size batteries, or what voltages
your unspecificied system can tolerate, or what
you consider a problem, you can't expect even an approximate answer.
But a careful person would still say, NO!
Take out the lithium cell.

--
Return address is VALID!
Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale He

James Sweet May 5th 08 06:01 PM

"mike" wrote in message
wrote:
Can I use 2 alkaline batteries (3V) in parallel with a (non-
rechargable) lithium cell (3V) as a back up without problem?

Thanks

Short answer is NO!
Since you give ZERO clues as to what size batteries, or what voltages
your unspecificied system can tolerate, or what
you consider a problem, you can't expect even an approximate answer.
But a careful person would still say, NO!
Take out the lithium cell.

--

Or isolate it with a diode.