DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Help with my speakers!!! (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/240683-help-my-speakers.html)

rAgAv March 30th 08 06:51 AM

Help with my speakers!!!

Hello,

I've got a sub-woofer. It consists of a box with the controls in it
and two speakers.

Here - http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1206856195

The "box with the controls" has four ports in the rear. Two for input
and two for output.

The problem I'm facing is this - when I increase the volume, one of
the speakers starts giving some noise and there's very little music
from it. So, I get crisp music from one speaker and dead music and
some noise from the other. When I try to shake the wires that the box
is connected to, it sometimes solves the problem and other times, it
doesn't work. So, I think that the problem is with those wires.

I also tried swapping the speakers. The speakers are fine but the
problem is with the wires or the box. I don't know what to do...

Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

William Sommerwerck March 30th 08 11:22 AM

Help with my speakers!!!

I don't know what to do...

What did the manufacturer suggest when you contacted them?

DaveM March 30th 08 01:26 PM

Help with my speakers!!!

"rAgAv" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like the external cables or the connectors in the box are the problem.
To identify which it is, swap the cables around and see if the problem follows
one of the cables . If so, replace that cables and solve your problem.
If not, the RCA connectors in the box probably have a bad solder connection with
the internal wiring. In that case, you'll have to open the box and inspect the
connectors.
One other possibility is that the connector's center connection has lost its
grip. Get a small pair of needle-nosed pliers and squeeze the center connection
so that it grips the plug from the external cable better.

From experience, my bet is on the external cables.

Good luck on your repair.
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

Lance Dyer March 30th 08 02:16 PM

Help with my speakers!!!

This unit is a powered sub woofer. It has an amp build into it and the most
likely cause is that the amp that drives one of the speakers has a shorted
or leaky output transistor. It will need professional help to troubleshoot
the amp.