Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt

Default Jelly beans on my screen

Hi,

I have a problem that I think has to do with the DDR 128 ATI Radeon
9800 Pro card in my 5 year old system (Dell Dimension 8200, XP Pro
SP2, 1.25 GB RAM).

When playing DVDs or video files there are vertical lines spaced about
1/2" apart of what look like alternating 1/4" wide red and green jelly
beans. If I reduce the viewing area to about 1" h x 2" w they
accordingly shrink and then eventually disappear; not an optimal
solution.

Any other program displays fine across the whole viewing screen of a
22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070 at 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz. I have
reinstalled the drivers, tied different resolutions and refresh rates,
taken the card out and cleaned the contacts and slot. Physically the
card looks fine, the fan works, etc.

After putting the card back in for a short while the viewing of movies
was fine but I suppose as the card warmed the same problem came back.
My guess is that one of its chips dedicated to processing video has
bit the dust and I need to get a replacement card. Other than video
related programs the display is fine.

Thanks for your help everyone, Steve.
Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 21:13:45 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

The "chip" that processes video is the same chip that is
used for everything, it is odd you have no other anomolies
except in video unless it's an overlay problem. Try running
a 3d game or a benchmark like 3DMark2003 or newer.

If it's heat, it might respond to opening case and pointing
a fan at it. Try a different video card driver, and
different video codecs. Try some other videos that use
different codecs to see if certain ones have problems but
not others. Also try another video playback software.

Did this problem suddenly start one day with no other
changes to the system or ??