Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default VCR damaged by AC overvoltage surge

I have a Panasonic model PV-V4522 that has power supply damage -- screen
indicates there's some AC in the unit where there should be DC. A power
supply 82Mfd/200V capacitor has a swelled end and I suspect that part but
before I disassemble the unit to possibly replace that I'd like to look
for other possible problems by checking some voltages if I knew what they
should be and where to measure. Help would be appreciated. Tnx Jim

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipm...ronics.repair/
More information at http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com/faq.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jimhigh66" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
I have a Panasonic model PV-V4522 that has power supply damage -- screen
indicates there's some AC in the unit where there should be DC. A power
supply 82Mfd/200V capacitor has a swelled end and I suspect that part but
before I disassemble the unit to possibly replace that I'd like to look
for other possible problems by checking some voltages if I knew what they
should be and where to measure. Help would be appreciated. Tnx Jim

If a capacitor has swelled then it's bad. When was the unit made? There was
a huge batch of defective capacitors made back around 2000-2003 that found
their way into all sorts of stuff over the next few years. They often fail
like this for no apparent reason.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tnx James. I'm thinking made about 2002 -- I bought it late 2002. I KNOW
when the unit was subject to a power surge and that's when it failed.
However there might be other parts damaged as well and that's why I like
to know correct voltages and where to look for them.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipm...ronics.repair/
More information at http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com/faq.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" writes:

"jimhigh66" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
I have a Panasonic model PV-V4522 that has power supply damage -- screen
indicates there's some AC in the unit where there should be DC. A power
supply 82Mfd/200V capacitor has a swelled end and I suspect that part but
before I disassemble the unit to possibly replace that I'd like to look
for other possible problems by checking some voltages if I knew what they
should be and where to measure. Help would be appreciated. Tnx Jim

If a capacitor has swelled then it's bad. When was the unit made? There was
a huge batch of defective capacitors made back around 2000-2003 that found
their way into all sorts of stuff over the next few years. They often fail
like this for no apparent reason.

Failed electrolytics are common in Panasonic VCR power supplies. There are
capacitor kits to replace them all and they aren't expensive. That's
the first thing to do. Just replacing that one cap may fix it but
doing them all isn't that much work and others are probably going to
fail soon.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jimhigh66" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
Tnx James. I'm thinking made about 2002 -- I bought it late 2002. I KNOW
when the unit was subject to a power surge and that's when it failed.
However there might be other parts damaged as well and that's why I like
to know correct voltages and where to look for them.

Was it a surge, or was it a sag? Momentary losses and brownouts often
trigger an apparent failure once capacitors get worn out like this. The
power supply can run, barely, but then if the voltage dips down to the point
it shuts down, it can't start up again.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"James Sweet" writes:

"jimhigh66" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
I have a Panasonic model PV-V4522 that has power supply damage -- screen
indicates there's some AC in the unit where there should be DC. A
power
supply 82Mfd/200V capacitor has a swelled end and I suspect that part
but
before I disassemble the unit to possibly replace that I'd like to look
for other possible problems by checking some voltages if I knew what
they
should be and where to measure. Help would be appreciated. Tnx Jim

If you don't know where to measure, and what voltages to expect in a switch
mode power supply such as this, then I honestly don't recommend that you
try. I don't say this out of any desire to berate your skills or experience,
but trust me when I tell you that this type of power supply is EXTREMELY
dangerous to people not very experienced in how they work, and very savvy as
to what goes wrong with them. Apart from the fact that it has the ability to
kill you - literally - one slip of the meter probe can spell instant death
to many components on the primary side of the supply. The cap that is
bulging is likely, by its value and voltage rating, to be on the primary
side of the supply, and any voltage measurements here have to be taken with
the negative side of the line power rectifier bridge, as the 'ground'
reference for your meter, so you're on dangerous territory right from the
off. To begin to be anything like safe when working on switchers, you need
at least a bench isolation transformer.

As James said, if the cap is bulging, it's bad, and it was likely a sag
rather than a surge that led to the supply stopping for exactly the reasons
given. The advice to just change this cap is well given, and will most
likely result in a fix. As Sam suggested also, a repair kit is a good route
to go down, but if you do finish up changing multiple caps from a kit, do
them one at a time, and double check the value and polarity of each
replacement before soldering it in. The slightest error will at best result
in the supply just not working, and at worst, a cascade failure with
fireworks that Disney would be proud of ... !!

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tnx all. The surge was a overvoltage surge (I had several wall
transformers burn-out on other equipment). Tnx for the warnings -- I do
have a bench isolation transformer. I may just try replacing the 82 ufd
capacitor and see if that fixes it. If not it can be added to the pile of
defective VCRs (I've never had one that lasted even with limited use! ) and
I'll try to find a like-new replacement (I'd really like to advoid the
combination units). Jim H.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipm...ronics.repair/
More information at http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com/faq.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3ÔÂ26ÈÕ, ÉÏÎç1ʱ35·Ö, "jimhigh66" wrote:
I have a Panasonic model PV-V4522 that has power supply damage -- screen
indicates there's some AC in the unit where there should be DC. A power
supply 82Mfd/200V capacitor has a swelled end and I suspect that part but
before I disassemble the unit to possibly replace that I'd like to look
for other possible problems by checking some voltages if I knew what they
should be and where to measure. Help would be appreciated. Tnx Jim

--
Message posted usinghttp://www.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com/group/sci.electronics.rep...
More information athttp://www.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com/faq.html

Do you want access to China's massive pool of electronic
manufacturers... but lack the time to contact suppliers, negotiate
contracts, arrange shipping or monitor product quality? Don't worry -
Let seriouswholesale deal with all that for you.

*Check out the huge range of Gadgets, MP3 / MP4 Players, Car DVD /
Audio, and Computer Accessories now by visiting the online wholesale
catalog at seriouswholesale. com You'll have peace of mind thanks to
the seriouswholesale Quality Control, 12-month Warranty on all
products, and easy secure payment by credit card through Paypal.

Selling on eBay or your own online store? Send products direct from
our warehouse to your customers using our unique drop-shipping
service. You can profit by selling hundreds of different products,
without holding any of your own inventory! Any questions you have will
be answered by the seriouswholesale English-speaking customer support
team... Their aim is to make your China electronics importing business
easier to run than ever before.

Welcome to http://www.seriouswholesale.com.

seriouswholesale - Buy from the source, profit without the hassle.

- 12 Months Warranty - No minimum order restrictions - Drop-shipping
with no additional fee - Pay by safely by PayPal seriouswholesale
Wholesale Co., Ltd.: Chinas original and best online electronics
wholesaler & drop-shipper: seriouswholesale. com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

"jimhigh66" wrote in
lkaboutelectronicequipmen
t.com:

Tnx all. The surge was a overvoltage surge (I had several wall
transformers burn-out on other equipment). Tnx for the warnings -- I do
have a bench isolation transformer. I may just try replacing the 82 ufd
capacitor and see if that fixes it. If not it can be added to the pile
of defective VCRs (I've never had one that lasted even with limited use!
) and I'll try to find a like-new replacement (I'd really like to advoid
the combination units). Jim H.

The power company should pay for replacements or your homeowner's insurance.

--
bz

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:45:42 +0000 (UTC), bz
wrote:

"jimhigh66" wrote in
alkaboutelectronicequipmen
t.com:

Tnx all. The surge was a overvoltage surge (I had several wall
transformers burn-out on other equipment). Tnx for the warnings -- I do
have a bench isolation transformer. I may just try replacing the 82 ufd
capacitor and see if that fixes it. If not it can be added to the pile
of defective VCRs (I've never had one that lasted even with limited use!
) and I'll try to find a like-new replacement (I'd really like to advoid
the combination units). Jim H.

The power company should pay for replacements or your homeowner's insurance.

Power company possibly, if they were at fault (i.e. not lightning, act
of god, car crashing into a pole, etc.) Homeowner's insurance is
useless because of deductables.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jimhigh66" wrote:

Tnx all. The surge was a overvoltage surge (I had several wall
transformers burn-out on other equipment).

The power company should pay for replacements or your homeowner's insurance.

Power company possibly, if they were at fault (i.e. not lightning, act
of god, car crashing into a pole, etc.) Homeowner's insurance is
useless because of deductables.

File a claim on your HO policy and get cancelled. What a racket!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

PeterD wrote in
:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:45:42 +0000 (UTC), bz
wrote:

"jimhigh66" wrote in
news:2d20286a258432980ba6be3d2a215801@localhost. talkaboutelectronicequipm
en t.com:

Tnx all. The surge was a overvoltage surge (I had several wall
transformers burn-out on other equipment). Tnx for the warnings -- I
do have a bench isolation transformer. I may just try replacing the
82 ufd capacitor and see if that fixes it. If not it can be added to
the pile of defective VCRs (I've never had one that lasted even with
limited use! ) and I'll try to find a like-new replacement (I'd really
like to advoid the combination units). Jim H.

The power company should pay for replacements or your homeowner's
insurance.

Power company possibly, if they were at fault (i.e. not lightning, act
of god, car crashing into a pole, etc.) Homeowner's insurance is
useless because of deductables.

If it came in on the power line, the power companies insurance may still
cover it.

Check the policy. The deductable may not apply to Personal property damaged
by lightning or a power surge. You need to read your policy carefully.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The damage was my fault when, as a result of an ice storm, I connected a
240V generator to the house system and the unequal 120V loads see-sawed
one side low and the other side high (live and learn) + the damage never
equaled my insurance deductable.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipm...ronics.repair/
More information at http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com/faq.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

"jimhigh66" wrote in
lkaboutelectronicequipmen
t.com:

The damage was my fault when, as a result of an ice storm, I connected a
240V generator to the house system and the unequal 120V loads see-sawed
one side low and the other side high (live and learn)

Thanks. That will serve to remind me of what NOT to do next time our power
is out.
Hurrican Andrew had me without power for a week and Katrina ... well the
power was out at our house for over a week but we were out of town.

+ the damage never
equaled my insurance deductable.

If you have checked your policy carefully or with your agent, then you have
my sympathy.

If you are just assuming that the deductable would apply in this case, it
won't cost you a thing to check and you might be pleasantly surprised.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jimhigh66" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
The damage was my fault when, as a result of an ice storm, I connected a
240V generator to the house system and the unequal 120V loads see-sawed
one side low and the other side high (live and learn) + the damage never
equaled my insurance deductable.

That explains why the capacitor failed then.

You need to connect the neutral when you wire up a generator, the loads will
never perfectly balance out.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James / others

The neutral WAS connected. Some generators will work fine -- mine didn't.
(As a precaution I first did a test with a high-wattage bulb on one 120 and
low-wattage on the other an it appeared to be OK. The test wasn't
adequate.) Now I strap both 120V circuits together. I can't use anything
240V of course, but I can do without that for the limited time required.
Regards Jim H.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipm...ronics.repair/
More information at http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com/faq.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jimhigh66" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
James / others

The neutral WAS connected. Some generators will work fine -- mine didn't.
(As a precaution I first did a test with a high-wattage bulb on one 120
and
low-wattage on the other an it appeared to be OK. The test wasn't
adequate.) Now I strap both 120V circuits together. I can't use anything
240V of course, but I can do without that for the limited time required.
Regards Jim H.

That sounds like something is screwy in the generator itself, are you sure
the neutral didn't break off internally from the 240V socket? I've only
dealt with a few of them, but every 240V generator I've used works just fine
powering both sides of the panel.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jerry G." writes:

Most likely the power supply is blown and possibly other sections of
the VCR. I would be shopping for a new VCR rather than spending.

Why do you think other sections of the VCR are blown? It's usually
hard for a surge to get past a switchmode power supply. I had one where
someone plugged it into 230 VAC by mistake somehow and the only problem was a
blown fuse.

One also shouldn't discount the possibility that despite the fact that it
seemed to happen due to a problem with the Neutral, that the real reason
was that it had power off for awhile and was on the verge of dying from
bad caps. Seen that. Works fine until power is removed for a short time.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jerry G." writes:

Most likely the power supply is blown and possibly other sections of
the VCR. I would be shopping for a new VCR rather than spending.

Why do you think other sections of the VCR are blown? It's usually
hard for a surge to get past a switchmode power supply. I had one where
someone plugged it into 230 VAC by mistake somehow and the only problem
was a
blown fuse.

Nothing against him personally, but I don't recall Jerry *ever* saying
anything besides "take it to a tech", or "throw it away and buy a new one"
in the years that I've been on here.

My own experience coincides with yours, power surges very rarely get past
the first or second stage of the power supply in any piece of equipment.
Unless it took a lightning strike, it's usually pretty simple to fix.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jerry G." writes:

Most likely the power supply is blown and possibly other sections of
the VCR. I would be shopping for a new VCR rather than spending.

Why do you think other sections of the VCR are blown? It's usually
hard for a surge to get past a switchmode power supply. I had one where
someone plugged it into 230 VAC by mistake somehow and the only problem
was a
blown fuse.

Nothing against him personally, but I don't recall Jerry *ever* saying
anything besides "take it to a tech", or "throw it away and buy a new one"
in the years that I've been on here.

My own experience coincides with yours, power surges very rarely get past
the first or second stage of the power supply in any piece of equipment.
Unless it took a lightning strike, it's usually pretty simple to fix.

I repair many switchers in the course of my working life, and I would also
concur. The 'failure to restart after a power outage' syndrome is in my
experience, most often caused by either the small cap which decouples the
supply to the switch mode controller IC, or the high value startup
resistor(s). The one place where I have had a faulty switcher cause
additional damage, is in el cheapo supermarket DVD players, where failure of
under-rated secondary side filter electrolytics, can lead to the supply
being unable to regulate itself. This can result in the 5v or 12v rails
doubling, with the inevitable consequences to the LSIs dotted around on the
main board. This is a 'just out of interest' comment, and not to do with
power surges finding their way through switchers, of course ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jerry G." writes:

[...]

Another out of interest comment is that I had one of these cheap DVD
players with exactly those symptoms and replacing caps restored it to
perfect working condition despite 19 V on the 12 V line, or was it the
5 V line? Chips are tough.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Another out of interest comment is that I had one of these cheap DVD
players with exactly those symptoms and replacing caps restored it to
perfect working condition despite 19 V on the 12 V line, or was it the
5 V line? Chips are tough.

Years ago I had a TTL logic board in a video game that would only run if the
5V supply was cranked up to around 7.5V. Ran it like that for years, never
did find the marginal part(s).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jerry G." writes:

[...]

Except when it's important for them to be !! I reckon that you fell into the
"lucky 50%" with that one, Sam. The next one you have like it, might well
put you into the unlucky 50% ... Boy, can those fried chips take the skin
off your fingertips :-(

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Mar 29, 7:21 pm, "Jerry G." wrote:
Most likely the power supply is blown and possibly other sections of
the VCR. I would be shopping for a new VCR rather than spending.

Jerry G.

quite apart from the fact that you're limited pretty much to second
hand vcrs these days, so 'shopping for a new one' isn't really an
option, I find this sort of comment unhelpful. This is supposed to be
a repair newsgroup. As others have said, you seem to be very quick to
make such comments Jerry. This is sad really, as it reflects a
consumer /throwaway mentality which is against the spirit of this
group. In this case, we're talking about a commonly-seen psu failure
with a relatively straightforward repair procedure . At least lets see
what happens after the cap is changed before condemning an otherwise
good unit!

B.

overvoltage Jack Home Repair 29 June 8th 07 02:26 AM
Power Surge: TV Damaged? aether Electronics Repair 15 August 15th 05 11:05 AM
overvoltage in plasma - fujitsu Dave.au Electronics Repair 5 May 15th 05 08:55 AM
Overvoltage [email protected] Home Repair 13 February 10th 05 12:32 AM
Difference between whole-house surge supressor and secondary surge arrestor Vinnie Murdico Home Repair 4 September 2nd 03 12:52 PM