Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Error in measurement with Tektronix Probe 1000:1 ??

Hello!
I tried to measure a short high Voltage peak with a little older
Tektronix Probe, Part No. 010-025 on a Tektronix TDS 460 Memory-Scope.
Concretely I wanted to define the ignition voltage of a fluorescent
tube. I guess the voltage is about 1-2 kV (1m length of the tube). I
measured between 7 and 8 kV with the Tektronix Probe (!) and disagreed
with that, because the C_res on the Ballast-Board has a voltage
strength of 1,6 kV and the expected voltage that I got from a gas
discharge graph is about 1 kV/m.

I quantified the divider of the probe with 979:1 on 50 Hz sinus AC,
linear with different voltages between 100 and 400 V which I could set
up on the isolating transformer.

Now the question:
Can somebody help to affirm this variation?
Is there overshoot common because of the short voltage spike?

Thanks for all consideration!

greetings,
Christian
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3ÔÂ9ÈÕ, ÏÂÎç11ʱ17·Ö, wrote:
[...]

Do you want access to China's massive pool of electronic
manufacturers... but lack the time to contact suppliers, negotiate
contracts, arrange shipping or monitor product quality? Don't worry -
Let seriouswholesale deal with all that for you.

*Check out the huge range of Gadgets, MP3 / MP4 Players, Car DVD /
Audio, and Computer Accessories now by visiting the online wholesale
catalog at seriouswholesale. com You'll have peace of mind thanks to
the seriouswholesale Quality Control, 12-month Warranty on all
products, and easy secure payment by credit card through Paypal.

Selling on eBay or your own online store? Send products direct from
our warehouse to your customers using our unique drop-shipping
service. You can profit by selling hundreds of different products,
without holding any of your own inventory! Any questions you have will
be answered by the seriouswholesale English-speaking customer support
team... Their aim is to make your China electronics importing business
easier to run than ever before.

Welcome to http://www.seriouswholesale.com.

seriouswholesale - Buy from the source, profit without the hassle.

- 12 Months Warranty - No minimum order restrictions - Drop-shipping
with no additional fee - Pay by safely by PayPal seriouswholesale
Wholesale Co., Ltd.: Chinas original and best online electronics
wholesaler & drop-shipper: seriouswholesale. com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 9, 10:59*am, joesmith wrote:
Hi,Christian
The tube is a capacator.
j.

Mar 9, 10:17*am, wrote:

[...]

Christian- Hide quoted text -

Is it possible that the actual voltage was that high for a short
instant before the arc actually struck? I am guessing that for a 1
meter long fluorescent tube it would be no more than 2 kV at the
most, if the voltage were applied in a slow steadily increasing ramp
up of voltage over a period of several seconds. But, if the striking
voltage was from a step-up transformer, it might be much higher for a
few milliseconds until the arc was fully established.

I am assuming that you used the word "quantified" in the meaning here
in the USA as calibrated or checked or verified the accuracy of the
probe.

H. R.(Bb) Hofmann
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in news:66d93545-28fb-
:

Mar 9, 10:17*am, wrote:

[...]

the voltage across the tube is going to increase until the arc establishes
itself and then the voltage will decrease to operating V.

If the probe is a P6015,then the divider should be adjustable.
(and may be adjusted far out on response,too.)

I don't recognize the older TEK p/n.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik