Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default "Heat Sink Putty" ?

Any such thing?

I'll have a little bridge rectifier and voltage regulator serving
a bicycle hub alternator (6v 4w) and want to use the bike frame
as the heat sink.

My thought was that, if there's such a thing as heat-conductive
putty, I'd just embed the two components in some of it and stick
it to a frame tube.
--
PeteCresswell
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I've never heard of putty. Silicone grease is common, of course.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Any such thing?

I'll have a little bridge rectifier and voltage regulator serving
a bicycle hub alternator (6v 4w) and want to use the bike frame
as the heat sink.

My thought was that, if there's such a thing as heat-conductive
putty, I'd just embed the two components in some of it and stick
it to a frame tube.

Aluminium powder mixed with epoxy might work.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Any such thing?

I'll have a little bridge rectifier and voltage regulator serving
a bicycle hub alternator (6v 4w) and want to use the bike frame
as the heat sink.

My thought was that, if there's such a thing as heat-conductive
putty, I'd just embed the two components in some of it and stick
it to a frame tube.

**Do you need heat sinking? 4 Watts is not much power. You could use a 6 Amp
bridge, which can dissipate quite a bit of power, before requiring any heat
sink. If you do need it, then use silicon glue (the stuff used for
guttering, kitchens, bathrooms, etc). It remains flexible and will transfer
reasonable heat to the frame. I seriously doubt that you need it though.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Any such thing?

I'll have a little bridge rectifier and voltage regulator serving
a bicycle hub alternator (6v 4w) and want to use the bike frame
as the heat sink.

My thought was that, if there's such a thing as heat-conductive
putty, I'd just embed the two components in some of it and stick
it to a frame tube.

Aluminium powder mixed with epoxy might work.

Graham

Don't they make thermally conductive epoxy? OP might not want anything
electrically conductive.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Any such thing?

I'll have a little bridge rectifier and voltage regulator serving
a bicycle hub alternator (6v 4w) and want to use the bike frame
as the heat sink.

My thought was that, if there's such a thing as heat-conductive
putty, I'd just embed the two components in some of it and stick
it to a frame tube.

Thermal epoxy is better than regular epoxy but the conductivity
is very poor compared to copper, and copper is poor compared to diamond.
Might try the suggestion of adding metal filings to regular epoxy putty.
Thermal epoxy is not really putty.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 18:36:38 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Any such thing?

I'll have a little bridge rectifier and voltage regulator serving
a bicycle hub alternator (6v 4w) and want to use the bike frame
as the heat sink.

My thought was that, if there's such a thing as heat-conductive
putty, I'd just embed the two components in some of it and stick
it to a frame tube.

Aluminium powder mixed with epoxy might work.

Graham

Don't they make thermally conductive epoxy? OP might not want anything
electrically conductive.

Then use zinc oxide with epoxy, that should not be conductive... But
regardless, nothing will work very well, IMHO...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , PeterD wrote:
On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 18:36:38 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Any such thing?

I'll have a little bridge rectifier and voltage regulator serving
a bicycle hub alternator (6v 4w) and want to use the bike frame
as the heat sink.

My thought was that, if there's such a thing as heat-conductive
putty, I'd just embed the two components in some of it and stick
it to a frame tube.

Aluminium powder mixed with epoxy might work.

Graham

Don't they make thermally conductive epoxy? OP might not want anything
electrically conductive.

Then use zinc oxide with epoxy, that should not be conductive... But
regardless, nothing will work very well, IMHO...

Seems like there are atachments to the frame for accesories, and if they
are aluminum, it will make a great way to do it. Curved surface aluminum
block.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 2, 3:46*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

I'll have a little bridge rectifier and voltage regulator serving
a bicycle hub alternator (6v 4w) and want to use the bike frame
as the heat sink. * *

If there's a brazed boss in some convenient spot, you can screw a
block of aluminum to that (or even a 1" square plate). The rectifier
won't need conduction cooling at these power levels, so it's just
the (three terminal TO-220?) regulator or pass transistor that gets
warm.

Generator mount bracket or headlamp bracket are good candidates.
If they get warm, it sinks to the frame quick enough.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 2, 6:46 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Any such thing?

Loctite makes a number of thermally conductive paste adhesives,
and even a thermally conductive RTV. I've used 383 to fill small
holes, its consistency is similar to acrylic latex caulk.
http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/lo..._ThermMgmt.pdf

TM
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Any such thing?

I'll have a little bridge rectifier and voltage regulator serving
a bicycle hub alternator (6v 4w) and want to use the bike frame
as the heat sink.

My thought was that, if there's such a thing as heat-conductive
putty, I'd just embed the two components in some of it and stick
it to a frame tube.

Aluminium powder mixed with epoxy might work.

Don't they make thermally conductive epoxy? OP might not want anything
electrically conductive.

Bridge tectifiers usually have isolated cases anyway.

Trevor's idea is good though. Use a larger bridge than actually needed
(they're not expensive) and it'll happilly dissipate the heat without
additional cooling.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

Or use a switcher-type regulator for lower heat dissipation.

That's a particularly good idea.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Per Trevor Wilson:
**Do you need heat sinking? 4 Watts is not much power. You could use a 6 Amp
bridge, which can dissipate quite a bit of power, before requiring any heat
sink.

I just checked the specs on the one I ordered. 25 amps/50v.

Sounds like my dinky little hub alternator will barely warm it
up. So much for the heat sink requirement....
--
PeteCresswell
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Heat sink putty is old hat.It's been around for many years.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Per Jimmie D:
Just get a really big rectifier. I have a 5 amp power supply that uses a 20
amp bridge and its bolted to a piece of wood.

That's what I (inadvertently) did. 25 amp/50 volt to handle
about 1 amp/20 volts max.
--
PeteCresswell