Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Seagate 320GB External HDD

This was plugged in with incorrect A/C adapter (19v instead of 12v)
and since then won't turn on.

Anyone know if its worth getting the HDD itself out of the case - will
it work in a regular SATA2 enclosure?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
This was plugged in with incorrect A/C adapter (19v instead of 12v)
and since then won't turn on.

Anyone know if its worth getting the HDD itself out of the case - will
it work in a regular SATA2 enclosure?

Depends if it's a SATA or PATA drive, but those external units use standard
hard drives inside.

It may be the drive itself that was fried by the excess voltage, but it
won't hurt anything to try it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cheers people.

Now I have to find my way past these Security Torx (5 point torx star)
screws that hold the case together.

Might have to go down the hack saw route but not a lot of room to play
with.

Any ideas?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Cheers people.

Now I have to find my way past these Security Torx (5 point torx star)
screws that hold the case together.

Might have to go down the hack saw route but not a lot of room to play
with.

Any ideas?

Buy a security torx driver, they're easy to get and cheap. I've got a whole
set of them I picked up for a few dollars.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 27, 11:29 pm, "James Sweet" wrote:
wrote in message

Cheers people.

Now I have to find my way past these Security Torx (5 point torx star)
screws that hold the case together.

Might have to go down the hack saw route but not a lot of room to play
with.

Any ideas?

Buy a security torx driver, they're easy to get and cheap. I've got a whole
set of them I picked up for a few dollars.

The 6 point drivers are easy to get but the 5 point star ones are
protected and can cost quite a bit i think.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Cheers people.

Now I have to find my way past these Security Torx (5 point torx star)
screws that hold the case together.

Might have to go down the hack saw route but not a lot of room to play
with.

Any ideas?

There's always eBay. Identifying the size you need may be a problem.

Try this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-Poi... m310027430517

They may all be too big.

Charlie