Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What is Dexion / Handy Angle called in America?

I was writing up tip for working on large desk top , mixer amps
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/mixer.jpg
The perforated angle metal marked D and the other one between D1 and D2
supporting the edge.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

"N Cook" wrote in message
I was writing up tip for working on large desk top , mixer amps
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/mixer.jpg
The perforated angle metal marked D and the other one between D1 and D2
supporting the edge.

I don't think we have it over here, but the people on
rec.crafts.metalworking will know for certain.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 08:23:14 -0000, "N Cook" wrote:

:I was writing up tip for working on large desk top , mixer amps
:http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/mixer.jpg
:The perforated angle metal marked D and the other one between D1 and D2
:supporting the edge.

Dexion is simply a brand name. I think US citizens usually identify products by
function rather than by brand name alone, unlike Brits, Aussies or Kiwis, who
always refer to it simply as 'Dexion'.

Slotted angle is the product manufactured by Dexion and they do have a US
manufacturer/distributor http://www.stodec.com/solutions/dexionamerica.html
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Ross Herbert wrote:

I think US citizens usually identify products
by
function rather than by brand name alone

Not always though. If one brand has a predominant market share, their
name often becomes a substitute for the generic term. Scotch tape and
post-it notes come to mind. I've never in my life heard anyone say, "do
you have any clear cellophane tape?" And Lazy-Boy to mean any recliner
chair. Non-pilots tend to think that all small airplanes are "Piper
Cubs." A lot of people call any soda "Coke" as in "I'll have a Coke."
(Actually I like Coke, and make damn sure I get it in a restaurant,
rather than Pepsi or any of the other inferior imitations.)

But, it is true that some companies go to great lengths to preserve the
real or imagined integrity of their brands. When photocopiers first came
out, people started saying "here, xerox this for me." The company ran
full page ads in national magazines that said "Xerox is not a verb." And
they won, because people started saying "photocopy" and later "copy."
Damn that must have been an expensive campaign.

Rolls Royce did something similar, after other companies started saying
"Our brand is the Rolls-Royce of televisions" or whatever. Again they
won, with enough financial clout to back their legal threats.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Smitty Two wrote in message
news
In article ,
Ross Herbert wrote:

[...]

We've always hoovered over here .
We've always referred to molegrips and stanley knives etc. Come 11/9 or even
9/11, if you must, we all had to find out what on earth box cutters were.
You would think that RollsRoyce would be pleased that their name was being
used as a synonym for quality design/manufacture. Failed campaign

100,000 references to the phrase "is the rolls royce of" on Google
"The Humax PVR-9200T is the Rolls Royce of Freeview recording" coming top.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
N Cook wrote:
Rolls Royce did something similar, after other companies started saying
"Our brand is the Rolls-Royce of televisions" or whatever. Again they
won, with enough financial clout to back their legal threats.

We've always hoovered over here . We've always referred to molegrips and
stanley knives etc. Come 11/9 or even 9/11, if you must, we all had to
find out what on earth box cutters were. You would think that RollsRoyce
would be pleased that their name was being used as a synonym for quality
design/manufacture. Failed campaign

It might be if indeed that appliance was of the best quality. But if it's
just adspeak, as much is, and it's poor or just average, R-R might not
want to be associated with it.

--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:
Smitty Two wrote in message
news
In article ,
Ross Herbert wrote:

[...]

Personally, I wouldn't think that dexion was the 'Rolls Royce' of
materials to prop open the cases of electronic equipment, what if it
slipped? - onto live circuitry!
That`s what long handled screwdrivers were invented for.

Shirley it would be preferable to use a suitable length of light timber,
or if you wanted to get really clever, you could make various lengths of
pvc pipe or maybe even some telescopic devices.

Ron(UK)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron(UK) wrote in message
N Cook wrote:
Smitty Two wrote in message
news
In article ,
Ross Herbert wrote:

[...]

I disagree.
Not too clear , camera shake - i'll redo, there are white cable ties at all
ends so the top panel is not vaguely propped up sideways. It is held
vertically quite sturdily, so its possible to move or tilt the whole ,18
inch sort of cube, arrangement quite securely.
I would rather rely on steel dexion and nylon cable ties than bits of wood
and string for moving awkward lumps weighing 24Kg.
Case in point I could weigh myself on bathroom scales and then me + mixer
amp , quite safely , to determine that 24Kg

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Ross Herbert wrote:

I think US citizens usually identify products
by
function rather than by brand name alone

Not always though. If one brand has a predominant market share, their
name often becomes a substitute for the generic term. Scotch tape and
post-it notes come to mind. I've never in my life heard anyone say, "do
you have any clear cellophane tape?" And Lazy-Boy to mean any recliner
chair. Non-pilots tend to think that all small airplanes are "Piper
Cubs." A lot of people call any soda "Coke" as in "I'll have a Coke."
(Actually I like Coke, and make damn sure I get it in a restaurant,
rather than Pepsi or any of the other inferior imitations.)

Even regional differences creep in. Here in the South (U.S.), people
refer to all sorts of carbonated soft drinks as 'Coke', as you say.
However, here in Nashville--and immediate surroundings--I kept hearing
natives referring to 'Brico Blocks'. Context supplied the answer (to
the question in my mind) that they were talking about your basic
'concrete block'.

Years later, I heard that there was, at one time, a company here that
manufactured concrete blocks, by the name of Brico. I can find no
reference to it using google; but if I google "brico block" "nashville",
I get a few references to the term.

Rather obscure if you don't live here, but the natives almost all say
'brico block' to describe any kind of concrete or cinder type construction.

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"N Cook" wrote:

Come 11/9 or even
9/11, if you must, we all had to find out what on earth box cutters were.

That one baffles me. I had never, ever heard those things referred to as
box cutters. Everyone I know calls them "skil knives," "Skil" being a
brand name. I bet Skil raised a fit and invented the term "box cutter"
that very day.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Ross Herbert wrote:

[...]

Kleenex comes to mind as well, and Windex, there's a whole load of brands
that have become household names.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Ross Herbert wrote:

[...]

I can't udnerstand why xerox wouldn't want that though. So many brands
struggle to achieve a name like that. For instance in the south east US
people here say I want a coke. Not a soda, and it builds brand loyalty.
Xerox's stragegy seems somewhat counter intuitive.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I can't udnerstand why xerox wouldn't want that though. So many brands
struggle to achieve a name like that. For instance in the south east US
people here say I want a coke. Not a soda, and it builds brand loyalty.
Xerox's stragegy seems somewhat counter intuitive.

It keeps their brand from becoming generic. If everyone starts referring to
any photocopy machine as a "Xerox machine" then pretty soon they don't stand
out anymore. Of course this is virtually irrelevant these days when well
known brands are slapped on whatever the 3rd party junk of the week is but
at the time there was far more brand relevance.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

"Xerox is not a verb." And they won, because people started
saying "photocopy" and later "copy." Damn that must have been
an expensive campaign.

They did? There are some words that despite being trademarked, are well
accepted ways to describe a process or piece of equipment, whether or not it
was made by the trademark owner. The last I knew "xerox" was one such word.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/xerox

If anything, I think the term might have fallen out of favor because of all
the competition in copying machines. It is rather unusual around these parts
to see a genuine Xerox piece of equipment.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:

We've always hoovered over here .
We've always referred to molegrips and stanley knives etc. Come 11/9 or even
9/11, if you must, we all had to find out what on earth box cutters were.

I didn't know what they were talking about either. We called them a
'Utility Knife', and the cheap ones were called 'Razor Knives' because
they used a single eedge razor blade.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:

I can't udnerstand why xerox wouldn't want that though. So many brands
struggle to achieve a name like that. For instance in the south east US
people here say I want a coke. Not a soda, and it builds brand loyalty.
Xerox's stragegy seems somewhat counter intuitive.

Think about it. Someone hands you an unreadable copy of a document,
and the other person replies, "Don't blame me! Blame the Xerox machine!"

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I was writing up tip for working on large desk top , mixer amps
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/mixer.jpg
The perforated angle metal marked D and the other one between D1 and D2
supporting the edge.

We've always called it Dexion and use it a lot for quick lab
construction projects.

Kal

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote in message
N Cook wrote:

We've always hoovered over here .
We've always referred to molegrips and stanley knives etc. Come 11/9 or

even
9/11, if you must, we all had to find out what on earth box cutters

were.

I didn't know what they were talking about either. We called them a
'Utility Knife', and the cheap ones were called 'Razor Knives' because
they used a single eedge razor blade.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

It was all over the UK media at the time that the crews of the planes were
overpowered by people armed only with box-cutters. As that is not , until
then, a recognised UK term , I assumed it must be a USA term.
A UK generic , ie not trade name, is a craft knife or retractable blade
craft knife.

Our dates are the other way around. We would never refer to 9/11 or even
11/9 for that matter, it would be 11th of the 9th if contracted

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:

It was all over the UK media at the time that the crews of the planes were
overpowered by people armed only with box-cutters. As that is not , until
then, a recognised UK term , I assumed it must be a USA term.
A UK generic , ie not trade name, is a craft knife or retractable blade
craft knife.

Probably caused by a 'talking head' (Idiot newscaster) who shopped at
a 'Dollar Store' quite often, where you find Chinese made junk with
weird names. Things like "60 inch Cat-5 Cable" which measure 32 inches.

it appears that a box cutter is a plastic Chinese knockoff of the all
metal 'Razor knife'. the blades are so poor that they are scored to
break off the bad tips. The first time I saw one of those was about 25
years ago, and it was US packaged as a "Disposable Utility Knife".
Those cheap knives are used to open shipping cartons, simply because
they are cheap, and so poor quality it's hard to cut yourself, when
compared to a good utility knife.

Our dates are the other way around. We would never refer to 9/11 or even
11/9 for that matter, it would be 11th of the 9th if contracted

Being a US Army Veteran, I'm used to YYYY-MM-DD or YY-MM-DD
formatting. i still use it in file names, so they will sort in
chronological order.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:

I was writing up tip for working on large desk top , mixer amps
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/mixer.jpg
The perforated angle metal marked D and the other one between D1 and D2
supporting the edge.

Are you familiar with Unistrut?

http://images.google.com/images?q=unistrut&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GWYA&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 03:38:34 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

:N Cook wrote:
:
: I was writing up tip for working on large desk top , mixer amps
: http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/mixer.jpg
: The perforated angle metal marked D and the other one between D1 and D2
: supporting the edge.
:
:
: Are you familiar with Unistrut?
:
:http://images.google.com/images?q=unistrut&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GWYA&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Yep..

Since it first appeared out here in the early 60's it was used to build overhead
ironwork in some telephone exchanges. It was sufficiently strong enough and
easier to handle than the heavy rolled steel U channel previously used.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
me me is offline

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

N Cook wrote:

It was all over the UK media at the time that the crews of the planes
were overpowered by people armed only with box-cutters. As that is
not , until then, a recognised UK term , I assumed it must be a USA
term. A UK generic , ie not trade name, is a craft knife or
retractable blade craft knife.

snip

it appears that a box cutter is a plastic Chinese knockoff of the
all
metal 'Razor knife'. the blades are so poor that they are scored to
break off the bad tips. The first time I saw one of those was about 25
years ago, and it was US packaged as a "Disposable Utility Knife".
Those cheap knives are used to open shipping cartons, simply because
they are cheap, and so poor quality it's hard to cut yourself, when
compared to a good utility knife.

A box cutter is a flat hollow rectangle of metal with a flat rectangel of
metal that slides inside. The inner rectangle has notch where the top of a
single edged razor blade sits and a triangular section removed at the front
so that a small part of the blade is exposed. You push on the back end of
the device to expose the bit of blade and push it back in to cover the
blade when not in use. It has been used in stores for decades for
unpacking boxes...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

it appears that a box cutter is a plastic Chinese knockoff of the all
metal 'Razor knife'. the blades are so poor that they are scored to
break off the bad tips. The first time I saw one of those was about 25
years ago, and it was US packaged as a "Disposable Utility Knife".
Those cheap knives are used to open shipping cartons, simply because
they are cheap, and so poor quality it's hard to cut yourself, when
compared to a good utility knife.

The place I worked back in the late 90s had metal box cutters, I don't
remember what they were officially named, but we always called them box
cutters. It made sense since all they were ever used for was opening boxes
of supplies.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:

it appears that a box cutter is a plastic Chinese knockoff of the all
metal 'Razor knife'. the blades are so poor that they are scored to
break off the bad tips. The first time I saw one of those was about 25
years ago, and it was US packaged as a "Disposable Utility Knife".
Those cheap knives are used to open shipping cartons, simply because
they are cheap, and so poor quality it's hard to cut yourself, when
compared to a good utility knife.

The place I worked back in the late 90s had metal box cutters, I don't
remember what they were officially named, but we always called them box
cutters. It made sense since all they were ever used for was opening boxes
of supplies.

I went to the local "Dollar Tree" store today, and they have changed
their labels. Now they call their cheap plastic knives "Utility Knives"
so maybe they are finally learning the proper names.

I had a case of 1000 of those metal knives with single edge razor
blades, but left them in a warehouse I lost. They were painted with a
company name on the body, and used standard single edge razor blades.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

:N Cook wrote:
:
: I was writing up tip for working on large desk top , mixer amps
: http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/mixer.jpg
: The perforated angle metal marked D and the other one between D1 and D2
: supporting the edge.
:
:
: Are you familiar with Unistrut?
:
:http://images.google.com/images?q=unistrut&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GWYA&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Yep..

Since it first appeared out here in the early 60's it was used to build overhead
ironwork in some telephone exchanges. It was sufficiently strong enough and
easier to handle than the heavy rolled steel U channel previously used.

I've also used the aluminum, and fiberglass versions. Another good
use is inside a truck or trailer to strap down your load where ever you
need to. I even made a spare tire holder out of some for the inside of
my 79 Dodge pickup truck, because you couldn't get the spare out of the
under body hanger if you had a flat on the back of the truck.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

:N Cook wrote:
:
: I was writing up tip for working on large desk top , mixer amps
: http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/mixer.jpg
: The perforated angle metal marked D and the other one between D1 and D2
: supporting the edge.
:
:
: Are you familiar with Unistrut?
SNIP

I did some research on Unistrut and it appears it was invented sometime in the
1930's and released to the world in 1940.
http://www.unistrut.com/literature/i...doc=NO_1D&pg=1

They have an archive of old stuff to reminisce about...
http://www.unistrut.com/literature/index.php?archive=1

It's a pity everything you touch these days seems to be part of the
multi-national Tyco.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

:N Cook wrote:
:
: I was writing up tip for working on large desk top , mixer amps
: http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/mixer.jpg
: The perforated angle metal marked D and the other one between D1 and D2
: supporting the edge.
:
:
: Are you familiar with Unistrut?
SNIP

I did some research on Unistrut and it appears it was invented sometime in the
1930's and released to the world in 1940.
http://www.unistrut.com/literature/i...doc=NO_1D&pg=1

They have an archive of old stuff to reminisce about...
http://www.unistrut.com/literature/index.php?archive=1

It's a pity everything you touch these days seems to be part of the
multi-national Tyco.

At least I got it for free, for a couple years. A large, local
electrical contractor 'Let me' haul off the scrap conduit and hardware
so he didn't have to pay to send it to the landfill. I used a lot of the
scrap in projects, and wads of cash by selling the used 3" & 4" rigid
conduit to a small welding shop. I still have some new aluminum conduit
in my pipe rack. If it was heavier, I'd make a cool, polished aluminum
ladder rack for my pickup truck. With a few modifications, I could use
it to lift my power chair into the bed, too.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I went to the local "Dollar Tree" store today, and they have changed
their labels. Now they call their cheap plastic knives "Utility Knives"
so maybe they are finally learning the proper names.

To me "utility knife" is the reusable metal handle with the often
retractible, and replaceable blade. "Box cutter" is the disposable type made
for cutting boxes. I'd never heard any other term for them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:

I went to the local "Dollar Tree" store today, and they have changed
their labels. Now they call their cheap plastic knives "Utility Knives"
so maybe they are finally learning the proper names.

To me "utility knife" is the reusable metal handle with the often
retractible, and replaceable blade. "Box cutter" is the disposable type made
for cutting boxes. I'd never heard any other term for them.

I guess that you want me to buy one and take a picture for you?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" wrote in message

I went to the local "Dollar Tree" store today, and they have changed
their labels. Now they call their cheap plastic knives "Utility Knives"
so maybe they are finally learning the proper names.

To me "utility knife" is the reusable metal handle with the often
retractible, and replaceable blade. "Box cutter" is the disposable type
made for cutting boxes. I'd never heard any other term for them.

If you ever work in retail everyone calls "utility knives" "box cutters" in
fact in Florida I believe that "box cutter" is the common name for them. You
know how things have different regional names. i.e. Soda Pop vs Cola vs
Coke. Water fountain vs bubbler. Although, I do have a utility knife the is
specifcally designed for opening boxes. It has a small metal tab for
breaking the tape on top to use instead of the kife blade so that you don't
cut the product inside.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:

[...]

I just use a key to a padlock that's on my key chain to cut taped
boxes. I did work retail, almost 40 years ago, when fiber reinforced
paper tape was used, and you needed a very sharp knife, unless you
wanted to crush the box.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"N Cook" wrote:

Come 11/9 or even
9/11, if you must, we all had to find out what on earth box cutters were.

That one baffles me. I had never, ever heard those things referred to as
box cutters. Everyone I know calls them "skil knives," "Skil" being a
brand name. I bet Skil raised a fit and invented the term "box cutter"
that very day.

Thats interestnig.. I've never heard them called a "skil kinfe" Just box
cutter, razor knife, utility knife.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:

[...]

Well. I speak from my own expirences, everyone's expirences differ. Its just
a name anyhow. Whatever you want to call them its all the same thing.

Mike

Nancy Loves George: The Elites-Driven 'White Trashing of America' to Degrade, Demoralize & Replace White America fred Home Repair 0 November 5th 06 01:54 PM
Dexion substitute ironer UK diy 7 October 19th 06 10:47 AM
ya never know what's going to come in handy .. Grant Erwin Metalworking 0 April 12th 06 05:06 PM
A handy tip (probably not new) foggytown Woodworking 2 March 10th 05 07:47 PM