DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Repair Electro Industries 3002A PSU after reverse polarity (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/234876-repair-electro-industries-3002a-psu-after-reverse-polarity.html)

[email protected] February 23rd 08 08:49 PM

Repair Electro Industries 3002A PSU after reverse polarity

I carelessly attached a battery with reverse polarity to my Electro
Industries 3002A PSU. I didn't realise until I saw a wisp of smoke
after maybe 10 seconds. Needless to say it now does not work
correctly. Looking inside the circuit board is populated with easily
accessible discrete components that I could probably replace. So
question is what is likely to need renewing? I assume active devices
such as 2N3055, TIP31C, L7805CV. What about passives eg capacitors,
resistors? Appreciate any advice before I condemn to the bin.

Michael Kennedy February 25th 08 05:41 AM

wrote in message
I carelessly attached a battery with reverse polarity to my Electro
Industries 3002A PSU. I didn't realise until I saw a wisp of smoke
after maybe 10 seconds. Needless to say it now does not work
correctly. Looking inside the circuit board is populated with easily
accessible discrete components that I could probably replace. So
question is what is likely to need renewing? I assume active devices
such as 2N3055, TIP31C, L7805CV. What about passives eg capacitors,
resistors? Appreciate any advice before I condemn to the bin.

Check to see if you just smoked a diode on the input.

Mike

Gareth Magennis February 25th 08 12:48 PM

wrote in message
I carelessly attached a battery with reverse polarity to my Electro
Industries 3002A PSU. I didn't realise until I saw a wisp of smoke
after maybe 10 seconds. Needless to say it now does not work
correctly. Looking inside the circuit board is populated with easily
accessible discrete components that I could probably replace. So
question is what is likely to need renewing? I assume active devices
such as 2N3055, TIP31C, L7805CV. What about passives eg capacitors,
resistors? Appreciate any advice before I condemn to the bin.

Get your nose right on the circuit board - you should be able to sniff out
the burnt component.

Gareth.

[email protected] February 26th 08 07:08 PM

Repair Electro Industries 3002A PSU after reverse polarity

On 25 Feb, 12:48, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:
wrote in message

I carelessly attached a battery with reverse polarity to my Electro
Industries 3002A PSU. I didn't realise until I saw a wisp of smoke
after maybe 10 seconds. Needless to say it now does not work
correctly. Looking inside the circuit board is populated with easily
accessible discrete components that I could probably replace. So
question is what is likely to need renewing? I assume active devices
such as 2N3055, TIP31C, L7805CV. What about passives eg capacitors,
resistors? Appreciate any advice before I condemn to the bin.

Get your nose right on the circuit board - you should be able to sniff out
the burnt component.

Gareth.

thanks. Will apply olfactory analysis. Hope repair is a simple as that.