Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Cyber Home ADL5 DVD player, 2001

or model AD-L528, 2 labels
from cold , a part second, partial feint display on the fluorescent, then
nothing.
All voltages agree with legends of 3.3,5,12,-20V dc and 4.4V ac to the
display. Standby voltage of 2.1V on switching power on.
Anyone know what the RAT of designator RAT5V stands for as it is only 1.4V
on one of the lines to/from? the ps

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:52:51 -0000, "N Cook" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

or model AD-L528, 2 labels
from cold , a part second, partial feint display on the fluorescent, then
nothing.
All voltages agree with legends of 3.3,5,12,-20V dc and 4.4V ac to the
display. Standby voltage of 2.1V on switching power on.
Anyone know what the RAT of designator RAT5V stands for as it is only 1.4V
on one of the lines to/from? the ps

Which chipset does it use?

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:52:51 -0000, "N Cook" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

or model AD-L528, 2 labels
from cold , a part second, partial feint display on the fluorescent, then
nothing.
All voltages agree with legends of 3.3,5,12,-20V dc and 4.4V ac to the
display. Standby voltage of 2.1V on switching power on.
Anyone know what the RAT of designator RAT5V stands for as it is only

1.4V
on one of the lines to/from? the ps

Which chipset does it use?

- Franc Zabkar

My measurement at fault RAT5V has 5V to the display/front controls board
with a PT6311 but no bus signals to it from the main board.
Main board main chip has a bonded heatsink over it,
Winbond 130 WG , CS4955 etc, but no activity on the board.
About 60 electrolytics and no IC protectors spied and likes of basic LM1458
have correct DC.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geo Geo is offline

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:52:51 -0000, "N Cook" wrote:

or model AD-L528, 2 labels
from cold , a part second, partial feint display on the fluorescent, then
nothing.
All voltages agree with legends of 3.3,5,12,-20V dc and 4.4V ac to the
display. Standby voltage of 2.1V on switching power on.
Anyone know what the RAT of designator RAT5V stands for as it is only 1.4V
on one of the lines to/from? the ps

There is a blcok diagram and a hand-drawn psu circuit (a bit too blurry) at:-
http://www.adl528.com/cyberhome/AD-L...ALD5/index.htm

Geo
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote in message
[...]

The heatsink will twist off the main chip quite easily.
Crystal CS98010CMEP
all electros check out
27MHz oscillation at the crystal oscillator and 5V is passed through the
gatekeeper KIA70 31AP and 3.3V rail is continuous to the Crystal chip

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Geo wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:52:51 -0000, "N Cook" wrote:

or model AD-L528, 2 labels
from cold , a part second, partial feint display on the fluorescent, then
nothing.
All voltages agree with legends of 3.3,5,12,-20V dc and 4.4V ac to the
display. Standby voltage of 2.1V on switching power on.
Anyone know what the RAT of designator RAT5V stands for as it is only

1.4V
on one of the lines to/from? the ps

There is a blcok diagram and a hand-drawn psu circuit (a bit too blurry)

at:-
http://www.adl528.com/cyberhome/AD-L...ALD5/index.htm

Geo

I tried googling but you must be more expert, quite a bit of useful data
there.
Seems quite charming to see a hand-drawn circuit diagram for a high tec
piece of kit

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Geo wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:52:51 -0000, "N Cook" wrote:

or model AD-L528, 2 labels
from cold , a part second, partial feint display on the fluorescent, then
nothing.
All voltages agree with legends of 3.3,5,12,-20V dc and 4.4V ac to the
display. Standby voltage of 2.1V on switching power on.
Anyone know what the RAT of designator RAT5V stands for as it is only

1.4V
on one of the lines to/from? the ps

There is a blcok diagram and a hand-drawn psu circuit (a bit too blurry)

at:-
http://www.adl528.com/cyberhome/AD-L...ALD5/index.htm

Geo

I wonder if it can be a software bug
That site mentions

"On occasion unit will power on with no life at all - no standby LED"

with no mention of a reason/solution.
If it means dead without even the unit's display lit and no Standby LED
then that is what is here but permanently.

I've tried the factory reset sequence mentioned there.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:11:21 GMT, Geo
put finger to keyboard and
composed:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:52:51 -0000, "N Cook" wrote:

or model AD-L528, 2 labels
from cold , a part second, partial feint display on the fluorescent, then
nothing.
All voltages agree with legends of 3.3,5,12,-20V dc and 4.4V ac to the
display. Standby voltage of 2.1V on switching power on.
Anyone know what the RAT of designator RAT5V stands for as it is only 1.4V
on one of the lines to/from? the ps

There is a blcok diagram and a hand-drawn psu circuit (a bit too blurry) at:-
http://www.adl528.com/cyberhome/AD-L...ALD5/index.htm

Geo

It appears that PQ30RV21 (2A LDO regulator) provides the RAT5V rail:
http://sharp-world.com/products/devi.../pq30rv1_e.pdf

AFAICT, the PC5V rail is derived from RAT5V by switching it via Q8
(2SB772) which is in turn controlled by Q7 and the standby signal
(from the decoder board?). So if RAT5V is only 1.4V, then where is the
OP's PC5V coming from? BTW, D15 seems to be drawn with the wrong
polarity.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

http://sharp-world.com/products/devi...et/pq30rv1_e.p
df

AFAICT, the PC5V rail is derived from RAT5V by switching it via Q8
(2SB772) which is in turn controlled by Q7 and the standby signal
(from the decoder board?). So if RAT5V is only 1.4V, then where is the
OP's PC5V coming from? BTW, D15 seems to be drawn with the wrong
polarity.

- Franc Zabkar
--
Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email

It was my error reading, 5V was there.
Further onto the main board I thought I'd found a SM inductor on a power
rail, blown as a fuse.
Legend L on the overlay but measured 1.2K ohm, but numbers over the
"inductor" itself said 122.

..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:26:46 -0000, "N Cook" put

N Cook wrote in message
[...]

Maybe I'm confused, but I think you'll find that's Cirrus Logic. In
1991 Cirrus Logic acquired Crystal Semiconductor.

all electros check out
27MHz oscillation at the crystal oscillator and 5V is passed through the
gatekeeper KIA70 31AP and 3.3V rail is continuous to the Crystal chip

Sorry, I don't have a reference design circuit for that chip. All I
can suggest is to disconnect the IDE cable from the DVD drive to see
if that is hanging up the machine.

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote in message
Franc Zabkar wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:52:51 -0000, "N Cook" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Maybe I'm confused, but I think you'll find that's Cirrus Logic. In
1991 Cirrus Logic acquired Crystal Semiconductor.

all electros check out
27MHz oscillation at the crystal oscillator and 5V is passed through the
gatekeeper KIA70 31AP and 3.3V rail is continuous to the Crystal chip

Sorry, I don't have a reference design circuit for that chip. All I
can suggest is to disconnect the IDE cable from the DVD drive to see
if that is hanging up the machine.

- Franc Zabkar

Standard linearised graphic logo of Crystal on the main chip

Yes, already tried disconnecting the deck. The owner seemed cagey , when I
asked about any precepitatory events. I don't know anything about DVDs , I
have no personal use for the things either.
I get the impression it is possible to download software fudges to disable
regionalisation etc. If the owner did this with some corrupted source could
that action have caused a hardware latch-up, or do manufacturer's
deliberately put a close-down function in there. ?
I can see there is a disc in the drive, but I've not dismantled to remove
it, (no mechanical functions, switch responses or display).
If I dismantle it and find a home-blown disc , what could I infer from that?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 07:50:37 -0000, "N Cook" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

.. .

N Cook wrote in message
[...]

Most region free procedures involve a key sequence on the remote
control. Others require a disc.

If the owner botched a firmware upgrade, then I don't know how you
would recover from it, unless the machine had a removeable EEPROM or
EPROM, in which case you could reprogram it in a device programmer.
Otherwise, if your chipset is anything like my Sunplus chipset, then
you would force the CPU into "boot trap mode" (by means of a jumper)
and then use an RS232C serial dongle to upload the correct firmware.

I can see there is a disc in the drive, but I've not dismantled to remove
it, (no mechanical functions, switch responses or display).
If I dismantle it and find a home-blown disc , what could I infer from that?

You should be able to test the IDE DVD loader in a PC. If faulty, then
try replacing it with a standard IDE DVD-ROM drive, if you can make it
fit. BTDT.

- Franc Zabkar