DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Prob with CRT Replacement (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/233677-prob-crt-replacement.html)

JR North February 14th 08 04:36 AM

Prob with CRT Replacement

OK, I have 2 Toshiba 9" TV/DVDs. One (brand new, ebay, $20)had a gassed
CRT, so I took the tube out of the other one (ebay, $1, scratched up
case) which worked perfectly. The first one works fine with the replaced
tube. Now 1 1/2 years later, I buy a "new" CRT, (ebay) same part#, to
get the second one up and running. After installing the tube, just a
bright dot in the center of the screen on power-up. All the connections
went normally. Is this indicative of a defective tube? The set worked
fine before removing the old CRT.
JR

hr(bob) [email protected] February 14th 08 06:02 AM

Prob with CRT Replacement

JR North wrote:
OK, I have 2 Toshiba 9" TV/DVDs. One (brand new, ebay, $20)had a gassed
CRT, so I took the tube out of the other one (ebay, $1, scratched up
case) which worked perfectly. The first one works fine with the replaced
tube. Now 1 1/2 years later, I buy a "new" CRT, (ebay) same part#, to
get the second one up and running. After installing the tube, just a
bright dot in the center of the screen on power-up. *All the connections
went normally. Is this indicative of a defective tube? The set worked
fine before removing the old CRT.
JR

* * * * Home Page:http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

That was almost too obvious.

John Tserkezis February 14th 08 06:26 AM

Prob with CRT Replacement

hr(bob) wrote:

That was almost too obvious.

I missed it because he said "all the connections went normally".

I really can't see how anyone could just "miss" the deflection cables, let
alone the coils...
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org

James Sweet February 14th 08 07:31 AM

Prob with CRT Replacement

"JR North" wrote in message
.. .
Never mind. The deflection coils weren't on the replacement CRT.....
JR

How did you miss that? Normally the yoke is swapped over from the bad tube
to the new one.

Michael Kennedy February 14th 08 09:48 AM

Prob with CRT Replacement

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"JR North" wrote in message
.. .
Never mind. The deflection coils weren't on the replacement CRT.....
JR

How did you miss that? Normally the yoke is swapped over from the bad tube
to the new one.

Guess he pitched the bad tube with the yoke.

Arfa Daily February 14th 08 10:03 AM

Prob with CRT Replacement

"JR North" wrote in message
.. .
Never mind. The deflection coils weren't on the replacement CRT.....
JR

That'd do it ... !! :-)

Arfa

bz February 14th 08 03:37 PM

Prob with CRT Replacement

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in
:

Guess he pitched the bad tube with the yoke.

Sounds eggzactly like the yoke was on him.

--
bz

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

JR North February 15th 08 05:20 AM

Prob with CRT Replacement

Well, it was a year and a half later, and I'm not a TV tech. I knew
immediately on power up it was a deflection problem, but too groggy to
figure it out until after posting. And yup...pitched the old tube with
the yoke on. My thinking at the time was I would just get another $1
beater that some kid stuck a PBJ into the DVD drawer, and would get
another CRT out of the deal. But never ran into another deal like that.
I didn't know new tubes did not come with the yoke. I have this mental
image of seeing the old tube arc into the recycle bin....groan.
Still need help finding a yoke...gave y'all a good laugh, how about a
bone here?
JR

James Sweet February 15th 08 06:33 AM

Prob with CRT Replacement

"JR North" wrote in message
.. .
Well, it was a year and a half later, and I'm not a TV tech. I knew
immediately on power up it was a deflection problem, but too groggy to
figure it out until after posting. And yup...pitched the old tube with the
yoke on. My thinking at the time was I would just get another $1 beater
that some kid stuck a PBJ into the DVD drawer, and would get another CRT
out of the deal. But never ran into another deal like that.
I didn't know new tubes did not come with the yoke. I have this mental
image of seeing the old tube arc into the recycle bin....groan.
Still need help finding a yoke...gave y'all a good laugh, how about a bone
here?
JR

Good luck. It's unlikely that the yoke is available anymore, and it's a
critical component specific to the chassis it's designed to work with. Best
bet is to find another identical unit with another problem and salvage the
yoke. Some tubes have bonded yokes, the rest will not include a yoke.

JR North February 15th 08 07:57 AM

Prob with CRT Replacement

I swapped in a yoke/ring set from a '94 Magnavox 9" TV (took the better
part of an hour to remove them). Same connections/wire color, but the
chassis didn't like it. Wouldn't power on with the yoke connected. I
successfully re-installed them in the Mag-works fine.
JR

James Sweet wrote:
.. .

Arfa Daily February 15th 08 10:06 AM

Prob with CRT Replacement

"JR North" wrote in message
.. .
I swapped in a yoke/ring set from a '94 Magnavox 9" TV (took the better
part of an hour to remove them). Same connections/wire color, but the
chassis didn't like it. Wouldn't power on with the yoke connected. I
successfully re-installed them in the Mag-works fine.
JR

As James said, they tend to be chassis-specific, and it's unlikely that a
'transplant' from a different one will be successful in terms of geometry
etc, even if you persuade the set to start up after fitting them ...

Arfa

Bob Urz February 15th 08 03:40 PM

Prob with CRT Replacement

Arfa Daily wrote:
"JR North" wrote in message
.. .

I swapped in a yoke/ring set from a '94 Magnavox 9" TV (took the better
part of an hour to remove them). Same connections/wire color, but the
chassis didn't like it. Wouldn't power on with the yoke connected. I
successfully re-installed them in the Mag-works fine.
JR

As James said, they tend to be chassis-specific, and it's unlikely that a
'transplant' from a different one will be successful in terms of geometry
etc, even if you persuade the set to start up after fitting them ...

Arfa

Sounds like its time for Ebay #4........... ;)

Bob