Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Ashdown ABM EVO-II 500, 2002, bass amp head

2 temp sensing things , one vaguely touching , the other bent away from the
heatsink.
Perhaps every roadie should be put in a flight case and dropped down some
stairs as a lesson.
Anyway both heatsinks must have bent relative to the pa pcb, bending the
leads.
How to anchor back more firmly than just white paste? The main TOP66 power
devices etc have those slide on spring steel clips but the loosened TO92
tranny and fan thermistor are a long way down from the mounting slots, for
anything like that. Any ideas ? - live heatsink btw, hence not rigidly held
to body.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:09:24 +0000, N Cook wrote:

2 temp sensing things , one vaguely touching , the other bent away from

the
heatsink.
Perhaps every roadie should be put in a flight case and dropped down

some
stairs as a lesson.
Anyway both heatsinks must have bent relative to the pa pcb, bending the
leads.
How to anchor back more firmly than just white paste? The main TOP66

power
devices etc have those slide on spring steel clips but the loosened TO92
tranny and fan thermistor are a long way down from the mounting slots,

for
anything like that. Any ideas ? - live heatsink btw, hence not rigidly

held
to body.

Could you drill into the heatsink and make some sort of spring clip mount?
How about some duct tape Those sensors don't have to be driven into
the heatsink, just held against along with a little compound.

The band is off touring abroad from the end of the week. All I can think is
to secure bits of nylon cable tie to the pa pcb and bend up against the 2
errant items. Too crowded to drill/tap the heatsinks and the assembly of
these sort of hook-clip arrangements is realy make once,
dissamble/reassemble at your peril.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" wrote in message
Meat Plow wrote in message
[...]

How about sticking them to the heatsink, with thermal glue such as is used
to stick heatsinks to chips ?

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Mechanical...sp?sku=1211723

or better yet

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...urce=15& SD=Y

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N Cook" wrote in message
Meat Plow wrote in message
[...]

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Mechanical...ives,+Tapes,+S
ealants+&+Service+Aids/FISCHER+ELEKTRONIK/WLK+5/displayProduct.jsp?sku=12117
23

or better yet

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...source=15& SD
=Y

Arfa

Would need good cleaning off I suspect, before applying. I'm not sure it
would cure a repeat drop. This is a likely generic fault scenario for all
such "live heatsink" amps that are only fixed to flexible polyester pcb
board
Something similar to the tape was supposed to be keeping a duaghter board
marked EB SUB ? (not on the Ashdown supplied schema, 4013 and 3 x 072) fixed
to the preamp but dislodged in the same drop presumably, failed solder
joint/s leading to crackles.

I removed 2 nearby caps , 2 small holes ,to match cap pin spacing, in cut
down lengths of cable-tie , and soldered back in, regooing and positioning
the 2 shiftees. Volume was fading down after half hour of use, presumably
because the NTC fan thermistor was staying at room temp and fan speed not
upping with increasing heatsink temp.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

How about sticking them to the heatsink, with thermal glue such as is
used
to stick heatsinks to chips ?

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Mechanical...ives,+Tapes,+S
ealants+&+Service+Aids/FISCHER+ELEKTRONIK/WLK+5/displayProduct.jsp?sku=12117
23

or better yet

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...source=15& SD
=Y

Arfa

Would need good cleaning off I suspect, before applying. I'm not sure it
would cure a repeat drop.

Well yes, I'm sure it would need a good cleaning off - that's a given. But
once you had stuck the device on there, I'm not at all sure that any amount
of dropping would get it back off. Have you ever tried getting a heatsink
thats glued, off a chip ? Do you fly to go on holiday ? Half that aeroplane
is glued together ... We are not talking Evo Stik here. This is industrial
spec glue, which is why it's eight quid a bottle ...

This is a likely generic fault scenario for all
such "live heatsink" amps that are only fixed to flexible polyester pcb
board

so over a few years, you'd get full use out of your eight quid ...

Something similar to the tape was supposed to be keeping a duaghter board
marked EB SUB ? (not on the Ashdown supplied schema, 4013 and 3 x 072)
fixed
to the preamp but dislodged in the same drop presumably, failed solder
joint/s leading to crackles.

I removed 2 nearby caps , 2 small holes ,to match cap pin spacing, in cut
down lengths of cable-tie , and soldered back in, regooing and positioning
the 2 shiftees. Volume was fading down after half hour of use, presumably
because the NTC fan thermistor was staying at room temp and fan speed not
upping with increasing heatsink temp.

So just live with the way it's designed, explain to the owner what garbage
Trashdown gear is in the first place, explain that they mustn't drop it, and
rub your hands when they come trailing back with it in six months' time ...
d;~}

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote in message

[...]

At least Ashdown releases schema.
And bottle of expensive Snibbo has gone solid in sixth months, when next
required, is the usual outcome.

According to band manager it is a pointless exercise moaning at roadies.
There is also no point in sacking them as its a case of better the devil you
know - any replacement/s will be the usual grunts plus the unknown
quantities.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote in message

[...]

Working with road crew all the time I know that most of them are pretty
careful with bands equipment but decent gear can stand a fair amount of
bashing about. Trashdown gear just isn't built for life on the road, it
might sound good, but construction wise it`s barely MI quality. Maybe
they should invest in some decent road cases, tho probably the cases
would be worth more than the gear that`s inside them.

Ron(UK)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron(UK) wrote in message
N Cook wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote in message

[...]

This band's other Ashdown faired even worse, they managed to bend the 5/16
inch coach bolt that holds the big mains torrroid to the chassis, when they
dropped/threw that one.
At least the emitter resistors were not suspended off the board to rock
apart and the ps reservoir caps are locked together. But that unsupported
daughterboard is inexcusable, now braced back to 2 chassis anchors.

Going back to cleaning. I saw a documentary on the Boeing plane plant and
cleaning for those glues is a lot more than wiping with some meths.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" wrote in message
Ron(UK) wrote in message
N Cook wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote in message

[...]

Respectfully then, I would suggest that no matter what you do to improve the
situation, including recommending better built gear, you are not going to
make one iota of difference. If this band are stupid enough to employ
so-called 'roadies' that have so little respect for the kit that's
effectively paying their wages by being in undamaged working order, then
they deserve all that they get. Far from it being a case of "better the
devil you know", if I were them, I would fire these inconsiderate
unprofessional grunts immediately, and get some better ones, no matter what
it took. Most of the shifters that I know also, are pretty respectful of the
kit, because it is their job to set it up when it arrives at the venue, so
they know if they are causing damage by poor handling. When push comes to
shove, it's a lot more work to have to go back to the truck with the bad
amp, and lug a replacement spare back in, if there even is one ...

At least the emitter resistors were not suspended off the board to rock
apart and the ps reservoir caps are locked together. But that unsupported
daughterboard is inexcusable, now braced back to 2 chassis anchors.

Going back to cleaning. I saw a documentary on the Boeing plane plant and
cleaning for those glues is a lot more than wiping with some meths.

As is the case with heatsink glue.

Arfa