Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default RCA F27732SB TV Blows Fuse

Hi everyone,

I have recently encountered a problem with my RCA 27" TV. The TV blows
the fuse every time it is plugged in. I am unable to do voltage tests
as there is NO power. I believe the problem is within the first few
components (filter capacitor, diodes, chopper transistor, etc). I have
not really taken a very good look at the set, but would like some sort
of direction before I go ahead and start.

Can someone direct me to the right direction of which are the most
likely failed components?

Thank you

P.S. THE CHASSIS IS: CTC169CK5
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I have recently encountered a problem with my RCA 27" TV. The TV blows
the fuse every time it is plugged in. I am unable to do voltage tests
as there is NO power. I believe the problem is within the first few
components (filter capacitor, diodes, chopper transistor, etc). I have
not really taken a very good look at the set, but would like some sort
of direction before I go ahead and start.

Can someone direct me to the right direction of which are the most
likely failed components?

Thank you

P.S. THE CHASSIS IS: CTC169CK5

Sounds like you pretty well nailed it. Check the chopper transistor and
rectifier diodes on the input first, and keep in mind that if one of those
checks bad, other parts in the area may be bad as well.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have tested the 4 rectifier diodes and they all seem to be opened
(VOLTAGE DROP IN BOTH DIRECTIONS). Do you thing that these shorted
diodes could have shorted the IC regulator and the chopper transistor?
Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Feb 12, 10:58 pm, wrote:
I have tested the 4 rectifier diodes and they all seem to be opened
(VOLTAGE DROP IN BOTH DIRECTIONS). Do you thing that these shorted
diodes could have shorted the IC regulator and the chopper transistor?
Thanks

replace the diodes, remove the chopper transistor AND the PTC, and
power the set up with 100w bulb in series int he mains line. be wary
if it glows brightly. if it is dim or fades, you will know your
rectifier is probably ok now.
-B
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
I have tested the 4 rectifier diodes and they all seem to be opened
(VOLTAGE DROP IN BOTH DIRECTIONS). Do you thing that these shorted
diodes could have shorted the IC regulator and the chopper transistor?
Thanks

Are the diodes shorted or are they open? Did you test them out of circuit?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I believe the diodes are shorted as the voltage drop appears in both
directions. I tested them in the circuit. Do I get false readings if
they are in the circuit? Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

Do I get false readings if
they are in the circuit?

Very often - depends on the other components in the circuit. Only way to
know for sure is to test them out of circuit.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 13, 12:24*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:24:24 -0800, media3d wrote:
I believe the diodes are shorted as the voltage drop appears in both
directions. I tested them in the circuit. Do I get false readings if
they are in the circuit? Thanks.

Unsolder one leg of each device and retest using your meter's diode check
function. Often, in circuit tests can deceive.

In or out of circuit, bridges, if not short usually good, also take a
look at the output transistor next to the flyback on a heatsink, and
cold solders on the horiz. drive transformer. also older rca's have a
lot of bizarre problems due to their "on board" tuner, if you do
manage to get it on just go over the tuner to avoid future problems.
Shane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks
I will retest the diodes and I will try to replace them. I will also
test the chopper transistor along with HOT.
Also I have found 1 other diode shorted right near the chopper
transformer. Hmmmmm
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi
I will try to test some HV components to determine how bad the short
really is and I will post again.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi again,
I was wondering, what could have caused all 4 rectifier diodes to
short?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi
I am still working on the set. I have not gotten around to check it
out. At the moment I have removed all 4 rectifiers. I will test the
HOT and chopper today.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Feb 17, 2:00 am, wrote:
Hi again,
I was wondering, what could have caused all 4 rectifier diodes to
short?

could be several things - mains surge, bad ptc, bad chopper, shorted
mains capacitor... being common reasons in my experience. usually,
however, a fusible resistor opens first in the case of problems
further into the power supply .
-b

tv blows fuse Steve45 Electronics Repair 6 March 29th 07 09:05 PM
Mower fuse blows donh Home Repair 3 June 17th 06 04:23 PM
Fuse Blows Ish Electronics Repair 1 October 10th 04 05:57 AM
fuse blows RubbishRat Electronics Repair 1 July 25th 04 12:03 AM
25" Sharp TV blows fuse Randy Electronics Repair 1 December 5th 03 01:34 AM