DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Current on PSU Fan (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/233121-current-psu-fan.html)

[email protected] February 9th 08 07:10 AM

Current on PSU Fan

Hi,
I need to replace the 80mm DC Fan in the PSU of my computer. The
label on the broken fan show 0.25A. Do I need to replace it with a
fan that has the same spec? I notice that many similar fans seem to
be 0.08A or similar. I'm also curious to know what the 0.25A means?
Is that the power that it will draw when it's spinning or the amount
of power that it can handle? What would happen if I replaced it with
a 0.08A fan?

UCLAN February 9th 08 07:30 AM

Current on PSU Fan

wrote:

I need to replace the 80mm DC Fan in the PSU of my computer. The
label on the broken fan show 0.25A. Do I need to replace it with a
fan that has the same spec? I notice that many similar fans seem to
be 0.08A or similar. I'm also curious to know what the 0.25A means?
Is that the power that it will draw when it's spinning or the amount
of power that it can handle? What would happen if I replaced it with
a 0.08A fan?

The 0.25a is the current that the fans draws when in operation. The 0.08a
fan will likely spin slower, move less air, and be quieter.

Make sure both fans are 12vdc fans.

--
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.

jakdedert February 9th 08 08:25 AM

Current on PSU Fan

UCLAN wrote:
wrote:

I need to replace the 80mm DC Fan in the PSU of my computer. The
label on the broken fan show 0.25A. Do I need to replace it with a
fan that has the same spec? I notice that many similar fans seem to
be 0.08A or similar. I'm also curious to know what the 0.25A means?
Is that the power that it will draw when it's spinning or the amount
of power that it can handle? What would happen if I replaced it with
a 0.08A fan?

The 0.25a is the current that the fans draws when in operation. The 0.08a
fan will likely spin slower, move less air, and be quieter.

Make sure both fans are 12vdc fans.

The 'move less air' above is important. Insufficient air flow is often
the death of computer supplies. It's always safe to use a bigger, more
powerful fan, and unless you're equipped to analyze how well it's
working, it's best to replace with at least an equivalent unit.

BTW, the .25A rating is the current that the fan draws (at 12 volts).
Fan efficiency may vary, but unless a spec is given for air flow (CFM),
To be safe, I'd match or exceed that rating, as it is all you have to go by.

jak

James Sweet February 9th 08 07:53 PM

Current on PSU Fan

wrote in message
Hi,
I need to replace the 80mm DC Fan in the PSU of my computer. The
label on the broken fan show 0.25A. Do I need to replace it with a
fan that has the same spec? I notice that many similar fans seem to
be 0.08A or similar. I'm also curious to know what the 0.25A means?
Is that the power that it will draw when it's spinning or the amount
of power that it can handle? What would happen if I replaced it with
a 0.08A fan?

That's the power it will draw, and is usually somewhat proportional to the
amount of air it will move.