Old February 7th 08, 08:17 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Source of 5 pins potentiometers?

Hi,

The place I was buying my 5 pin potentiometers has run out. I phoned
a couple of places, but they need part numbers (which I don't have and
can't get from the store - they must know that I am outsourcing and
there is nothing listed on the part). When I asked for a 1K
potentiometer with 5 pints on the phone to Mouser and http://www.potentiometers.com
, it was like asking if they had seen a unicorn, so I am wondering if
these are rare. They told me they have lots of 3 pin, but not 5 pin.

Any ideas or places to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Here is what is the potentiometer looks like:

http://davidd.250free.com/resistor.gif

I know it might not be enough to go on, but maybe someone can point me
in the right direction.

Old February 7th 08, 08:25 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/7/08 11:17 AM, in article
, "Victory"
wrote:

Hi,

The place I was buying my 5 pin potentiometers has run out. I phoned
a couple of places, but they need part numbers (which I don't have and
can't get from the store - they must know that I am outsourcing and
there is nothing listed on the part). When I asked for a 1K
potentiometer with 5 pints on the phone to Mouser and
http://www.potentiometers.com
, it was like asking if they had seen a unicorn, so I am wondering if
these are rare. They told me they have lots of 3 pin, but not 5 pin.

Any ideas or places to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Here is what is the potentiometer looks like:

http://davidd.250free.com/resistor.gif

I know it might not be enough to go on, but maybe someone can point me
in the right direction.

It might help if you could post what is the distribution of the resistance
among the pins. Are two of the pins a switch by any chance?

You can't simply ask for a "5-pin" potentiometer as there are gobs and
gazillions of different types, configurations, and resistance values and
taps.

Old February 7th 08, 08:47 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Victory wrote:

Hi,

The place I was buying my 5 pin potentiometers has run out. I phoned
a couple of places, but they need part numbers (which I don't have and
can't get from the store - they must know that I am outsourcing and
there is nothing listed on the part). When I asked for a 1K
potentiometer with 5 pints on the phone to Mouser and http://www.potentiometers.com
, it was like asking if they had seen a unicorn, so I am wondering if
these are rare. They told me they have lots of 3 pin, but not 5 pin.

Any ideas or places to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Here is what is the potentiometer looks like:

http://davidd.250free.com/resistor.gif

So what do the extra 2 pins do ?

Are they taps ? How do you use them in your circuit ?

Graham

Old February 7th 08, 09:18 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Victory wrote:

Hi,

The place I was buying my 5 pin potentiometers has run out. I phoned
a couple of places, but they need part numbers (which I don't have and
can't get from the store - they must know that I am outsourcing and
there is nothing listed on the part). When I asked for a 1K
potentiometer with 5 pints on the phone to Mouser and
http://www.potentiometers.com , it was like asking if they had seen a
unicorn, so I am wondering if
these are rare. They told me they have lots of 3 pin, but not 5 pin.

Any ideas or places to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Here is what is the potentiometer looks like:

http://davidd.250free.com/resistor.gif

I know it might not be enough to go on, but maybe someone can point me
in the right direction.

I had a look at your picture. I can't see any threads on the collar
below the shaft. Are those two lugs at either side used for mounting ?

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Old February 7th 08, 09:47 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:17:21 -0800 (PST), Victory
wrote:

Hi,

The place I was buying my 5 pin potentiometers has run out. I phoned
a couple of places, but they need part numbers (which I don't have and
can't get from the store - they must know that I am outsourcing and
there is nothing listed on the part). When I asked for a 1K
potentiometer with 5 pints on the phone to Mouser and http://www.potentiometers.com
, it was like asking if they had seen a unicorn, so I am wondering if
these are rare. They told me they have lots of 3 pin, but not 5 pin.

Any ideas or places to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Here is what is the potentiometer looks like:

http://davidd.250free.com/resistor.gif

I know it might not be enough to go on, but maybe someone can point me
in the right direction.

Egad's! a unicorn!

It would help to know what the pins do? That looks like an
inexpensive pot so it probably rules out fancy stuff like sin/cos -
that leaves taps or mounting ears or grounding lugs.

Flip it over?

Old February 7th 08, 10:18 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Victory wrote:

Hi,

The place I was buying my 5 pin potentiometers has run out. I phoned
a couple of places, but they need part numbers (which I don't have and
can't get from the store - they must know that I am outsourcing and
there is nothing listed on the part). When I asked for a 1K
potentiometer with 5 pints on the phone to Mouser and http://www.potentiometers.com
, it was like asking if they had seen a unicorn, so I am wondering if
these are rare. They told me they have lots of 3 pin, but not 5 pin.

Any ideas or places to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Here is what is the potentiometer looks like:

http://davidd.250free.com/resistor.gif

I know it might not be enough to go on, but maybe someone can point me
in the right direction.

Brand, part number, resistance, physical size, wattage, taper? that
looks like a transistor radio volume control with a switch from the
front, but you haven't given us ANYTHING to work with.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old February 7th 08, 11:02 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

I am in the same boat - I know it is 1K as I stated earlier. The two
pins on the sides are for an OFF/ON switch. As I said, they aren't
giving me any indication besides this that I read on the baggie at the
store :

P1K - SW
6222-20 5 Pin

Not much help, I don't think...

Old February 8th 08, 12:26 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Victory wrote:

I am in the same boat - I know it is 1K as I stated earlier. The two
pins on the sides are for an OFF/ON switch.

It's not a 'five pin pot' then.

It's a single pot with on/off switch. These are quite routine and widely available.

Graham

Old February 8th 08, 12:40 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Victory" wrote in message
Hi,

The place I was buying my 5 pin potentiometers has run out. I phoned
a couple of places, but they need part numbers (which I don't have and
can't get from the store - they must know that I am outsourcing and
there is nothing listed on the part). When I asked for a 1K
potentiometer with 5 pints on the phone to Mouser and
http://www.potentiometers.com
, it was like asking if they had seen a unicorn, so I am wondering if
these are rare. They told me they have lots of 3 pin, but not 5 pin.

Any ideas or places to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Here is what is the potentiometer looks like:

http://davidd.250free.com/resistor.gif

I know it might not be enough to go on, but maybe someone can point me
in the right direction.

This is the pot you are using with your LED dimmer project, right ? It's a
1k rotary pot with single pole switch, and a linear taper. You could also
use a similar pot with double pole switch (total 7 pins). Both are readily
available items. Can you not search say Mouser's website using "pot with
switch" as the search string ? I would have thought that would have turned
up whatever range they have.

Arfa

Old February 8th 08, 02:01 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Victory" wrote in message
[...]

In fact, I just went and did this. Mouser have 311-1600-1k at $0.97 which
fits the bill, and Digikey have CT2224-ND at $3.48. Rather more expensive,
but rather a better (constructed and rated) pot ...

I'm sure a few minutes spent making friends with Google, would turn up many
more examples.

Arfa

Maloof pins Jeff Woodworking 10 June 20th 07 02:56 PM
Need source for these pcb edge pins KenT Electronics Repair 0 June 14th 06 02:04 PM
acrow pins. [email protected] UK diy 8 November 30th 05 12:00 AM
Back Hoe pins tm_wilhelm Metalworking 2 February 23rd 05 08:10 PM
Thin Potentiometers Sources Chook Electronics 1 January 22nd 05 08:40 AM