Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Source of 5 pins potentiometers?

Hi,

The place I was buying my 5 pin potentiometers has run out. I phoned
a couple of places, but they need part numbers (which I don't have and
can't get from the store - they must know that I am outsourcing and
there is nothing listed on the part). When I asked for a 1K
potentiometer with 5 pints on the phone to Mouser and http://www.potentiometers.com
, it was like asking if they had seen a unicorn, so I am wondering if
these are rare. They told me they have lots of 3 pin, but not 5 pin.

Any ideas or places to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Here is what is the potentiometer looks like:

http://davidd.250free.com/resistor.gif

I know it might not be enough to go on, but maybe someone can point me
in the right direction.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/7/08 11:17 AM, in article
, "Victory"
wrote:

Hi,

The place I was buying my 5 pin potentiometers has run out. I phoned
a couple of places, but they need part numbers (which I don't have and
can't get from the store - they must know that I am outsourcing and
there is nothing listed on the part). When I asked for a 1K
potentiometer with 5 pints on the phone to Mouser and
http://www.potentiometers.com
, it was like asking if they had seen a unicorn, so I am wondering if
these are rare. They told me they have lots of 3 pin, but not 5 pin.

Any ideas or places to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Here is what is the potentiometer looks like:

http://davidd.250free.com/resistor.gif

I know it might not be enough to go on, but maybe someone can point me
in the right direction.

It might help if you could post what is the distribution of the resistance
among the pins. Are two of the pins a switch by any chance?

You can't simply ask for a "5-pin" potentiometer as there are gobs and
gazillions of different types, configurations, and resistance values and
taps.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Victory wrote:

Hi,

The place I was buying my 5 pin potentiometers has run out. I phoned
a couple of places, but they need part numbers (which I don't have and
can't get from the store - they must know that I am outsourcing and
there is nothing listed on the part). When I asked for a 1K
potentiometer with 5 pints on the phone to Mouser and http://www.potentiometers.com
, it was like asking if they had seen a unicorn, so I am wondering if
these are rare. They told me they have lots of 3 pin, but not 5 pin.

Any ideas or places to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Here is what is the potentiometer looks like:

http://davidd.250free.com/resistor.gif

So what do the extra 2 pins do ?

Are they taps ? How do you use them in your circuit ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Victory wrote:

Hi,

The place I was buying my 5 pin potentiometers has run out. I phoned
a couple of places, but they need part numbers (which I don't have and
can't get from the store - they must know that I am outsourcing and
there is nothing listed on the part). When I asked for a 1K
potentiometer with 5 pints on the phone to Mouser and
http://www.potentiometers.com , it was like asking if they had seen a
unicorn, so I am wondering if
these are rare. They told me they have lots of 3 pin, but not 5 pin.

Any ideas or places to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Here is what is the potentiometer looks like:

http://davidd.250free.com/resistor.gif

I know it might not be enough to go on, but maybe someone can point me
in the right direction.

I had a look at your picture. I can't see any threads on the collar
below the shaft. Are those two lugs at either side used for mounting ?

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:17:21 -0800 (PST), Victory
wrote:

Hi,

The place I was buying my 5 pin potentiometers has run out. I phoned
a couple of places, but they need part numbers (which I don't have and
can't get from the store - they must know that I am outsourcing and
there is nothing listed on the part). When I asked for a 1K
potentiometer with 5 pints on the phone to Mouser and http://www.potentiometers.com
, it was like asking if they had seen a unicorn, so I am wondering if
these are rare. They told me they have lots of 3 pin, but not 5 pin.

Any ideas or places to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Here is what is the potentiometer looks like:

http://davidd.250free.com/resistor.gif

I know it might not be enough to go on, but maybe someone can point me
in the right direction.

Egad's! a unicorn!

It would help to know what the pins do? That looks like an
inexpensive pot so it probably rules out fancy stuff like sin/cos -
that leaves taps or mounting ears or grounding lugs.

Flip it over?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Victory wrote:

Hi,

The place I was buying my 5 pin potentiometers has run out. I phoned
a couple of places, but they need part numbers (which I don't have and
can't get from the store - they must know that I am outsourcing and
there is nothing listed on the part). When I asked for a 1K
potentiometer with 5 pints on the phone to Mouser and http://www.potentiometers.com
, it was like asking if they had seen a unicorn, so I am wondering if
these are rare. They told me they have lots of 3 pin, but not 5 pin.

Any ideas or places to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Here is what is the potentiometer looks like:

http://davidd.250free.com/resistor.gif

I know it might not be enough to go on, but maybe someone can point me
in the right direction.

Brand, part number, resistance, physical size, wattage, taper? that
looks like a transistor radio volume control with a switch from the
front, but you haven't given us ANYTHING to work with.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I am in the same boat - I know it is 1K as I stated earlier. The two
pins on the sides are for an OFF/ON switch. As I said, they aren't
giving me any indication besides this that I read on the baggie at the
store :

P1K - SW
6222-20 5 Pin

Not much help, I don't think...

On Feb 7, 4:18 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Victory wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Victory wrote:

I am in the same boat - I know it is 1K as I stated earlier. The two
pins on the sides are for an OFF/ON switch.

It's not a 'five pin pot' then.

It's a single pot with on/off switch. These are quite routine and widely available.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Victory" wrote in message
Hi,

The place I was buying my 5 pin potentiometers has run out. I phoned
a couple of places, but they need part numbers (which I don't have and
can't get from the store - they must know that I am outsourcing and
there is nothing listed on the part). When I asked for a 1K
potentiometer with 5 pints on the phone to Mouser and
http://www.potentiometers.com
, it was like asking if they had seen a unicorn, so I am wondering if
these are rare. They told me they have lots of 3 pin, but not 5 pin.

Any ideas or places to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Here is what is the potentiometer looks like:

http://davidd.250free.com/resistor.gif

I know it might not be enough to go on, but maybe someone can point me
in the right direction.

This is the pot you are using with your LED dimmer project, right ? It's a
1k rotary pot with single pole switch, and a linear taper. You could also
use a similar pot with double pole switch (total 7 pins). Both are readily
available items. Can you not search say Mouser's website using "pot with
switch" as the search string ? I would have thought that would have turned
up whatever range they have.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Victory" wrote in message
[...]

In fact, I just went and did this. Mouser have 311-1600-1k at $0.97 which
fits the bill, and Digikey have CT2224-ND at $3.48. Rather more expensive,
but rather a better (constructed and rated) pot ...

I'm sure a few minutes spent making friends with Google, would turn up many
more examples.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Victory wrote:

[...]

Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214
to prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Just found a "Sharp" transistor radio with what looks like an identical
pot! No threads on the bush, with a split, 5mm dia splined shaft. Its
soldered through a cut out in the circuit board using all five tabs.
However its value is 10K log, stamped in the side. Physically its body
is 15mm dia x 4 or 5mm thick. There is no part No: that I can see.

HTH
--
Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I wonder why the guy on the phone didn't seem to be able to help me
out at Mouser? Oh well, this is a start. How can I tell if they are
threaded? I wish I could send the picture that I have to Mouser and
see if they have something that matches up closely. The thread and
post is important too now that I think about it.

In fact, I just went and did this. Mouser have 311-1600-1k at $0.97 which
fits the bill, and Digikey have CT2224-ND at $3.48. Rather more expensive,
but rather a better (constructed and rated) pot ...

I'm sure a few minutes spent making friends with Google, would turn up many
more examples.

I'm too introverted to have friends...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Victory" wrote in message
I wonder why the guy on the phone didn't seem to be able to help me
out at Mouser? Oh well, this is a start. How can I tell if they are
threaded? I wish I could send the picture that I have to Mouser and
see if they have something that matches up closely. The thread and
post is important too now that I think about it.

In fact, I just went and did this. Mouser have 311-1600-1k at $0.97 which
fits the bill, and Digikey have CT2224-ND at $3.48. Rather more expensive,
but rather a better (constructed and rated) pot ...

I'm sure a few minutes spent making friends with Google, would turn up
many
more examples.

I'm too introverted to have friends...

Possibly, the words that you were using to describe what you wanted, just
didn't 'resonate' with the guy. Or he was just a kid hired to field phone
calls. Are you familiar at all with speccing and buying electronic
components ? From the original thread, and now this new one, I rather
suspect not.

You need to learn to use an online catalogue. Both of those parts that I
pointed you to, have internal links attached to their basic catalogue entry,
which take you to the manufacturer's spec sheets for them. These tell you
everything, both electrically and mechanically, that characterise the
device. This is common with electronic component catalogues.

I don't mean to be rude, but the amount of help that you have received so
far on this project from many people on this group, has been staggering,
considering that it was more of a basic electronics design question
originally, than a "repair" one (check the name of this group ... ) If you
genuinely don't understand about speccing and ordering components, then i'm
sure most of us don't mind helping you out a little, but be careful that you
don't get us to thinking that you just can't be bothered to work it out for
yourself ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa,

I did look at the PDF and it didn't look like it had threads on the
pot. I will phone the company again today. I don't want you to think
that I am not actually doing any of the work myself though. I do get
frustrated when talking to these guys on the phone and they say 'sorry
can't help you' especially after the people on the form say the parts
are easy to come by and common-place. Must be my way of saying things
I guess. The electronic store that I buy from won't be of any help
because they won't tell me the part number and the baggie it comes in
is of little help. And yes I do appreciate the help. I guess I will
look for another forum that might be able to help with a parts list
since I don't want to outstay my welcome (if I haven't already).

You need to learn to use an online catalogue. Both of those parts that I
pointed you to, have internal links attached to their basic catalogue entry,
which take you to the manufacturer's spec sheets for them. These tell you
everything, both electrically and mechanically, that characterise the
device. This is common with electronic component catalogues.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article
,
Victory wrote:

Arfa,

I did look at the PDF and it didn't look like it had threads on the
pot. I will phone the company again today. I don't want you to think
that I am not actually doing any of the work myself though. I do get
frustrated when talking to these guys on the phone and they say 'sorry
can't help you' especially after the people on the form say the parts
are easy to come by and common-place. Must be my way of saying things
I guess. The electronic store that I buy from won't be of any help
because they won't tell me the part number and the baggie it comes in
is of little help. And yes I do appreciate the help. I guess I will
look for another forum that might be able to help with a parts list
since I don't want to outstay my welcome (if I haven't already).

Mouser and Digikey and the like are parts distributors. They sell parts
made by many different companies. It is not their business to specify
which part you need for your application. They are not there to offer
technical support. They expect you to know what you want, and to ask for
it using correct terminology.

As others have pointed out, "five-pin pot" is not the correct
terminology. No one would have any idea what you're talking about. The
pot you have could be called a pot with an integral on-off switch.
Actually, it isn't integral at all - it's merely two separate
components; a rotary pot and a rotary SPST switch, fastened together
mechanically for your convenience.

In order to acquire a suitable component for your application, be
prepared to provide at least the following:

Resistance (e.g. 1k ohm)
Power rating (e.g. 2 watts)
Taper style (linear or logarithmic)
Mounting style (the threads you want mean that it is a "chassis mount"
pot, i.e., meant to be fastened to the front panel of an enclosure -- as
opposed to a "board mount" which would be soldered to the circuit board
but not to the chassis.)

You're going to get strange looks if you walk into a restaurant and ask
for some "mixed up unborn chickens" instead of asking for "scrambled
eggs."

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thank you so much for the humorous and enlightening email. You are
right, I have to get the names right before I order. This has gone a
long way in helping me. The guys at the store don't seem to have time
to tell me, they said 'it is a pot with 5 pins', so that is where I
got the name from. Thanks again, at least you are giving me
specifics.

Maloof pins Jeff Woodworking 10 June 20th 07 02:56 PM
Need source for these pcb edge pins KenT Electronics Repair 0 June 14th 06 02:04 PM
acrow pins. [email protected] UK diy 8 November 30th 05 12:00 AM
Back Hoe pins tm_wilhelm Metalworking 2 February 23rd 05 08:10 PM
Thin Potentiometers Sources Chook Electronics 1 January 22nd 05 08:40 AM