Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default optocoupler CNY17G-2

Can anyone help with this component, it is used in a commercial cordless
battery charger and I can't locate any anywhere, I did try the internet but
they don't want to know me as I only want 1 or poss 2 as they not replying
to additional emails even after quoting me $5 each because of such a small
quantity. I need this version as the later version seems to use a floating
base on the output side and in the charger that I have here for repair it is
used. I am in Sydney aus.
If anyone can help it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Only Just" ifixit2@hotmail(dot)com wrote in message
Can anyone help with this component, it is used in a commercial cordless
battery charger and I can't locate any anywhere, I did try the internet
but they don't want to know me as I only want 1 or poss 2 as they not
replying to additional emails even after quoting me $5 each because of
such a small quantity. I need this version as the later version seems to
use a floating base on the output side and in the charger that I have here
for repair it is used. I am in Sydney aus.
If anyone can help it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I'd try something common like a 4N35, there's loads of similar parts that
should work fine. Is the base pin of the transistor connected to anything?
Many optocouplers don't extend that out, if you don't need that, any of
dozens of standard transistor output optocouplers should work.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" wrote in message

[...]

That is the problem, The base is used which makes it harder to substitute. I
was also told to be careful as this one is "vde" rated to specs and if it
goes arse about I could be liable. I am also fairly new to the electronics
industry after completing courses.
Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:49:04 +1100, "Only Just" ifixit2@hotmail(dot)com wrote:

:Can anyone help with this component, it is used in a commercial cordless
:battery charger and I can't locate any anywhere, I did try the internet but
:they don't want to know me as I only want 1 or poss 2 as they not replying
:to additional emails even after quoting me $5 each because of such a small
:quantity. I need this version as the later version seems to use a floating
:base on the output side and in the charger that I have here for repair it is
:used. I am in Sydney aus.
:If anyone can help it would be appreciated.
:Thanks.
:

I don't think there is anything special about the old or new version of the
CNY17 - they all have the base connection brought out to pin 6. The 'G' suffix
means that pins 1-3 are separated from pins 4-6 by 10.16mm rather than the
normal 7.62mm. The '2' indicates the CTR which is 0.63 - 1.25 @ 10mA Ic.
http://www.vishay.com/docs/83886/83886.pdf

There are other devices with the same pin spacing and isolation which would do
the job, ie. CNX82A
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe...ILD/CNX82.html

Note that the Isocom version of the CNX82A does not connect the base lead to pin
6.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:49:04 +1100, "Only Just" ifixit2@hotmail(dot)com wrote:

:Can anyone help with this component, it is used in a commercial cordless
:battery charger and I can't locate any anywhere, I did try the internet but
:they don't want to know me as I only want 1 or poss 2 as they not replying
:to additional emails even after quoting me $5 each because of such a small
:quantity. I need this version as the later version seems to use a floating
:base on the output side and in the charger that I have here for repair it is
:used. I am in Sydney aus.
:If anyone can help it would be appreciated.
:Thanks.
:

A search of the Farnell Australia site shows they have the Fairchild CNY17-2-M
in stock at $0.55 + GST.
http://au.farnell.com/jsp/Optoelectr...sp?sku=1021355

Note that the description gives the row pitch as 9mm which is close to the to
nominal 0.4" (10.16mm) shown for the Vishay 'G' suffix.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 06:21:24 GMT, Ross Herbert wrote:

:On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:49:04 +1100, "Only Just" ifixit2@hotmail(dot)com wrote:
:
::Can anyone help with this component, it is used in a commercial cordless
::battery charger and I can't locate any anywhere, I did try the internet but
::they don't want to know me as I only want 1 or poss 2 as they not replying
::to additional emails even after quoting me $5 each because of such a small
::quantity. I need this version as the later version seems to use a floating
::base on the output side and in the charger that I have here for repair it is
::used. I am in Sydney aus.
::If anyone can help it would be appreciated.
::Thanks.
::
:
:A search of the Farnell Australia site shows they have the Fairchild CNY17-2-M
:in stock at $0.55 + GST.
:http://au.farnell.com/jsp/Optoelectr...sp?sku=1021355
:
:Note that the description gives the row pitch as 9mm which is close to the to
:nominal 0.4" (10.16mm) shown for the Vishay 'G' suffix.

Forget that. The 'M' suffix does NOT have the base lead brought to pin 6.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Only Just wrote:

Can anyone help with this component, it is used in a commercial cordless
battery charger and I can't locate any anywhere, I did try the internet but
they don't want to know me

Who don't ?

It's an opto-isolator. Nothing unusual Simply substitute one with similar
parameters.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 06:56:11 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

:
:
:Only Just wrote:
:
: Can anyone help with this component, it is used in a commercial cordless
: battery charger and I can't locate any anywhere, I did try the internet but
: they don't want to know me
:
:Who don't ?
:
:It's an opto-isolator. Nothing unusual Simply substitute one with similar
arameters.
:
:
:Graham

Well, naturally,,, but it isn't quite that simple to find a suitable alternative
to the CNY17-2G off-the-shelf. The main problem is nobody here stocks 6 pin DIP
transistor output optocouplers with base connection having a 0.4" row pitch.
Believe me, I have done a lot of searching.

I did find one possibility at WES Components. Their catalog shows the CNX82A
which would be suitable provided that it is not manufactured by Isocom. The OP
requires the base connection brought out and the Isocom version doesn't have
that.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Looking at the specs I think the cnx83a will do the job, It does have the
base pin connected as well, It is used in the circuit which made it more
difficult. Also WES has the 83 there so will be easy to obtain, Thanks for
the help.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 09:19:54 GMT, Ross Herbert wrote:

:On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 06:56:11 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:
:
::
::
::Only Just wrote:
::
:: Can anyone help with this component, it is used in a commercial cordless
:: battery charger and I can't locate any anywhere, I did try the internet but
:: they don't want to know me
::
::Who don't ?
::
::It's an opto-isolator. Nothing unusual Simply substitute one with similar
:arameters.
::
::
::Graham
:
:
:Well, naturally,,, but it isn't quite that simple to find a suitable
alternative
:to the CNY17-2G off-the-shelf. The main problem is nobody here stocks 6 pin DIP
:transistor output optocouplers with base connection having a 0.4" row pitch.
:Believe me, I have done a lot of searching.
:
:I did find one possibility at WES Components. Their catalog shows the CNX82A
:which would be suitable provided that it is not manufactured by Isocom. The OP
:requires the base connection brought out and the Isocom version doesn't have
:that.

Good. I hope WES have what you want. I also checked the Speedy Spares catalog
and they list a CNX82 (no suffix thogh) so if WES can't help, try them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ross Herbert wrote:

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 06:56:11 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

:
:
:Only Just wrote:
:
[...]

Either of these close enough ?

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Optoelectr...sp?sku=1244524

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Optoelectr...sp?sku=1244523

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 13:05:39 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

:
:
:Ross Herbert wrote:
:
: On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 06:56:11 +0000, Eeyore
: wrote:
:
: :
: :
: :Only Just wrote:
: :
: : Can anyone help with this component, it is used in a commercial cordless
: : battery charger and I can't locate any anywhere, I did try the internet
but
: : they don't want to know me
: :
: :Who don't ?
: :
: :It's an opto-isolator. Nothing unusual Simply substitute one with similar
: arameters.
: :
: :
: :Graham
:
[...]

I appreciate the trouble you have gone to to find these items, and yes, they
would do the job. However, the Farnell Australia website (where the OP lives)
doesn't have the same stock items as in the UK, and these 2 are not included.
The Australian branch would probably order them in, but usually there is some
requirement such as MOQ or shipping added.

I spent some considerable time on the Farnell AU website tring to determine
whether or not any listed item was suitable and I have to say that their
description and part numbering and the parameter selection table leaves a lot to
be desired in trying to find a suitable item - I have complained to them on
that.

For example, I challenge you to find from the complete CNY17 listing on the
Farnell AU site
http://au.farnell.com/jsp/search/res...t=cny17& Ntx=
a simple and quick method of finding a locally available substitute for the OP's
problem. Now if every DIL opto stock item had a suffix saying 300W or 400W this
would help a lot, but they don't - only some do. And it is not stated in the
stock item description either.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ross Herbert" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 13:05:39 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

:
:
:Ross Herbert wrote:
:
: On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 06:56:11 +0000, Eeyore
: wrote:
:
: :
: :
: :Only Just wrote:
: :
[...]

Thanks for the support about the farnell website, I thought it was just me
or my inexperience that I had problems trying to understand it, even a phone
call to their tech support gave no results, now armed with either those
farnel items or the wes component I will have to get there to get the part
and try it.
Thanks again.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 18:58:40 +1100, "Only Just" ifixit2@hotmail(dot)com wrote:

:
:Thanks for the support about the farnell website, I thought it was just me
r my inexperience that I had problems trying to understand it, even a phone
:call to their tech support gave no results, now armed with either those
:farnel items or the wes component I will have to get there to get the part
:and try it.
:Thanks again.
:

You can try Farnell to see if they can order in from the UK without additional
expense. I confirmed that WES do have the CNX82A and it is QTC brand
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe.../CNX82A.W.html

QTC is now part of Fairchild but their latest opto catalogue doesn't show the
CNX82A (or 83A) which I think were discontinued in 2004.