Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Funai ciwp4206 plasma TV

This TV worked normally...was shut off for the night....next morning it
would not power on. The red power light is on. Pressing the power button
turns it green for about 3 seconds then goes back to sleep mode, with no
picture of course. Power supply makes some quiet squeaks before going
back to sleep.
Is this a common falure and if so, where do I look???
Does anybody have the service manual for it?
I've repaired hundreds of CRT based TVs and monitors...this would be my
first plasma but that would make little difference if this is a power
supply issue.
Many thanks

Oh, and before you tell me to take it in for warranty work...The claim
was made and I am being issued a refund for the set. And they have no
interest in picking up this dead set so I might as well attempt repair.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Plasma and LCD TV sets are service with board replacement. After board
replacement, the proper service information and set-up to do necessary
calibrations may be reaquired. Troubleshooting at the component level
is very time consuming and complex.

In the lower end models, the manufactures generaly replace the
complete TV set rather than take the high cost of servicing.

As for your Plasma set, the best you can do is check the power supply,
and see if there are any markings to be able to verify its voltage
outputs. You can look around for any visual problems such as visible
cold solders or a loose connection.

In the end, you will probably end up with a lot of spare parts for
another set like it. If the other set has to be serviced, you will
hope it does not have the same fault as the original if you want to
swap boards.

Jerry G.
======

On Feb 5, 8:38*pm, wrote:
This TV worked normally...was shut off for the night....next morning it
would not power on. The red power light is on. Pressing the power button
turns it green for about 3 seconds then goes back to sleep mode, with no
picture of course. Power supply makes some quiet squeaks before going
back to sleep.
Is this a common falure and if so, where do I look???
Does anybody have the service manual for it?
I've repaired hundreds of CRT based TVs and monitors...this would be my
first plasma but that would make little difference if this is a power
supply issue.
Many thanks

Oh, and before you tell me to take it in for warranty work...The claim
was made and I am being issued a refund for the set. And they have no
interest in picking up this dead set so I might as well attempt repair.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It might be the power supply . I have worked on several plasma sets . If
one of the circuit boards has a shorted part on it it does that same
thing with the light .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ken G." wrote:

It might be the power supply . I have worked on several plasma sets . If
one of the circuit boards has a shorted part on it it does that same
thing with the light .

This is what i'm thinking too but I wanted to hear form someone who had some
experience with this. When you say circuit boards, do you mean the power
supply itself or one of the panel driver boards. What puzzles me is this
malfunction occured while the set was turned off. Or, I suppose during the
instant it was turned off or on.
from what I can see, there are 5 switch mode power supplies....i'll just
have to go through and verify each one is working. Thanks!