Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Maytag Timer Motor

Well, my glued pinion gear finally bit the dust.

So, I'm looking for either the timer motor, or just the rotor
assembly. Yeah, good luck getting only that!

I believe it is part number 204663 he

http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/tex...ch+for+Keyword

http://tinyurl.com/38ll2k

This photo does look like it:
http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/cgi...4663&brand=MAC

But am not sure about the series.

If anyone has one in their junk box or a recommended inexpensive
supplier, please post back here.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
Well, my glued pinion gear finally bit the dust.

So, I'm looking for either the timer motor, or just the rotor
assembly. Yeah, good luck getting only that!

I believe it is part number 204663 he

http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/tex...ch+for+Keyword

http://tinyurl.com/38ll2k

This photo does look like it:
http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/cgi...4663&brand=MAC

But am not sure about the series.

If anyone has one in their junk box or a recommended inexpensive
supplier, please post back here.

Any info appreciated.

I never had any luck finding a replacement, these seem to be custom made for
the particular timer.

Just glue the gear again, or mold a new one out of epoxy putty, it held up a
long time after the last time you did it.

In a pinch a new timer could be made with a counter/timer chip and a relay.
If you want to adapt a ready made solution, I've got a few microwave oven
control boards you can have if you want

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
Well, my glued pinion gear finally bit the dust.

So, I'm looking for either the timer motor, or just the rotor
assembly. Yeah, good luck getting only that!

I believe it is part number 204663 he

http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/tex...ch+for+Keyword

http://tinyurl.com/38ll2k

This photo does look like it:
http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/cgi...4663&brand=MAC

But am not sure about the series.

If anyone has one in their junk box or a recommended inexpensive
supplier, please post back here.

Any info appreciated.

I never had any luck finding a replacement, these seem to be custom made for
the particular timer.

Just glue the gear again, or mold a new one out of epoxy putty, it held up a
long time after the last time you did it.

A couple years I guess. But now the pinion disintegrated. And how much
is my time worth. Yeah, $0.00/hour, I know. The Web site above seems
to have it for $38 which might be considered a rip-off but there is some
merit to being able to just drop in a replacement. ;-)

In a pinch a new timer could be made with a counter/timer chip and a relay.
If you want to adapt a ready made solution, I've got a few microwave oven
control boards you can have if you want

Well, this controls all the various solenoids, main motor, etc. If it
were a dryer, I might be inclined to do some sort of kludge!

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Well, this controls all the various solenoids, main motor, etc. If it
were a dryer, I might be inclined to do some sort of kludge!

Ah I was thinking it was. Just spend the 38 bucks, they wanted $120 or
something for a new timer for my dryer.

Of course you can probably find a whole used washer for free with some
looking, but those things are heavy and cumbersome to move.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tpg tpg is offline

"James Sweet" wrote in message

Well, this controls all the various solenoids, main motor, etc. If it
were a dryer, I might be inclined to do some sort of kludge!

Ah I was thinking it was. Just spend the 38 bucks, they wanted $120 or
something for a new timer for my dryer.

Of course you can probably find a whole used washer for free with some
looking, but those things are heavy and cumbersome to move.

I am not sure what you have available where you live but here in Sydney aus
there is a place that repairs timers on an exchange basis and for about the
1/3 the cost of a new timer as well as come with a warranty so all problems
should be repaired if any others exist. Try looking for timer repairs.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" writes:

Well, this controls all the various solenoids, main motor, etc. If it
were a dryer, I might be inclined to do some sort of kludge!

Ah I was thinking it was. Just spend the 38 bucks, they wanted $120 or
something for a new timer for my dryer.

Yep, most likely that's what I'll do. Just annoying that it's because
of a 5 cent part!

Of course you can probably find a whole used washer for free with some
looking, but those things are heavy and cumbersome to move.

Sure, at $0.00/hour, even that adds up!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 31 Jan 2008 17:05:34 -0500, Sam Goldwasser wrote:
Well, my glued pinion gear finally bit the dust.

So, I'm looking for either the timer motor, or just the rotor
assembly. Yeah, good luck getting only that!

I believe it is part number 204663 he

http://tinyurl.com/38ll2k

This photo does look like it:
http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/cgi...4663&brand=MAC

But am not sure about the series.

If anyone has one in their junk box or a recommended inexpensive
supplier, please post back here.

You might look in the "bone yard(s)" behind appliance stores and
appliance repair shops. They usually pile up a quantity of dead
appliances before calling in who-ever to pick'em up and haul them off.

That's how I've gotten one or two parts to keep a fridge and a clothes
dryer running. Asking the staff has always resulted in "Sure. Take
whatever you need."

Of course, any number of fellas here in this ng probably have their own
boneyards and may have the part for you....

HTH
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http://jonz.net/ng.htm
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

*http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/cgi...m=204663&brand...

But am not sure about the series.

If anyone has one in their junk box or a recommended inexpensive
supplier, please post back here.

You might look in the "bone yard(s)" behind appliance stores and
appliance repair shops. *They usually pile up a quantity of dead
appliances before calling in who-ever to pick'em up and haul them off.

That's how I've gotten one or two parts to keep a fridge and a clothes
dryer running. *Asking the staff has always resulted in "Sure. Take
whatever you need."

Of course, any number of fellas here in this ng probably have their own
boneyards and may have the part for you....

HTH
Jonesy
--
* Marvin L Jones * *| jonz * * * * *| W3DHJ *| linux
* *38.24N *104.55W *| *@ config.com | Jonesy | *OS/2
* * *** Killfiling google posts: http://jonz.net/ng.htm- Hide quoted text -

Sam:

Do you know how many RPM the motor is, and the number of teeth on the
gear? I have a bunch of various timer motors scrounged from old
appliances. I also just bought a new timer motor defrost assembly for
my Kenmore freezer from a local appliance parts store for $25.00 or
so, just because it was easier to find an exact replacement and saved
me looking for something that would fit. Also, the contacts on the
associated switch were shot.

I am in Naperville, Il, 30 miles west of Chicago. The store is in
Bolingbrook, IL. The name of the place is: Appliance Parts
Suppliers, phone 1-815-726-3555. You could call them on Friday and
see if they have the part and would ship it.

Bob Hofmann
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 31, 8:19*pm, clifto wrote:
hr(bob) wrote:
I am in Naperville, Il, 30 miles west of Chicago. *The store is in
Bolingbrook, IL. *The name of the place is: *Appliance Parts
Suppliers, phone 1-815-726-3555. *You could call them on Friday and
see if they have the part and would ship it.

I see I'm not the only person who visits that store.

--
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * God help us all,
* * * * * The next President of the United States will be a liberal.

Yeah - They are really great, a true mom and pop operation. They have
half the inventory memorized in addition to their computer. I hate to
think what will happen when they get to retirement age, as I don't
think they have any other help.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The relevant information is really what's on the motor:

Kingston Model 60
30/11L 60HZ

And printed on it: 4064
which may be part of the Maytag part number.

But I bet any similar Kingston motor will have the correct pinion gear.

The motor and gear look like:

http://www.davesrepair.com/DIYhelp/DIYKstonmod60fix.htm

I searched that part number but and while there were hits, it seems that
they may have the wrong part in their database.

Thanks.

"hr(bob) " writes:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Well, my glued pinion gear finally bit the dust.

So, I'm looking for either the timer motor, or just the rotor
assembly. Yeah, good luck getting only that!

I believe it is part number 204663 he

http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/tex...ch+for+Keyword

http://tinyurl.com/38ll2k

This photo does look like it:
http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/cgi...4663&brand=MAC

But am not sure about the series.

If anyone has one in their junk box or a recommended inexpensive
supplier, please post back here.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks!

Is it just me, or do Maytag washers have poorly made timers?
It seems the power portions of those machines last forever, but the
timers always die. We've probably been thru 4 Maytag washers in the
last 10 years. Everyone died because of the timer. They want at
least $100 for a new one, and a used machine can be gotten for $25 or
less. So we just replace the whole thing. I have all the dead
machines outside for parts, but aside from one belt, I never used them
for the parts.

I swore after the ladst one died that we would not get another Maytag.
But at that same time a relative went into a nursing home and sold his
home. We got the washer for free, so what the heck.

That was a year ago, now that washer has a bad timer. So we're back
to using it manually by advancing the knob for every cycle, until we
get something else. I really hate tossing a machine because of one
easy to replace part, but I'm not going to pay over $100 for a timer
worth $20 at most.

It amazes me that you can buy a whole DVD player for $25 and have to
pay around $125 for a timer that has much less in components. I have
never found a place that sells the motors separately either, at least
not the ones listed to the timer / washer.

In all fairness, this one did last 25-30 years before giving any problems,
and my cousin's was similar.

Of course, that was when the Maytag repairman WAS lonely.