Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default VHS recorder with "F" input

We are on a the Comcast cable system so if it works as I understand it when
the US goes digital we will still get a analog signal over cable.
I am looking for a VHS recorder with an RF input using the usual F
connector. This will just be used for time shifting.

They have become impossible to find. As an alternative would be a vcr of
the current style with AV only inputs and a demodulator to take that cable
signal and provide AV outputs. The demodulator would need to be reasonably
priced.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Charlie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Jan 31, 3:34 am, "Charlie Bress" wrote:
We are on a the Comcast cable system so if it works as I understand it when
the US goes digital we will still get a analog signal over cable.
I am looking for a VHS recorder with an RF input using the usual F
connector. This will just be used for time shifting.

They have become impossible to find. As an alternative would be a vcr of
the current style with AV only inputs and a demodulator to take that cable
signal and provide AV outputs. The demodulator would need to be reasonably
priced.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Charlie

your local freecycle would be a good place to start. check small 'for
sale' ads in local press. good brand name vcrs are easy o be had for
little cost as people change to dvd. you won't get anything even half
decent new.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Charlie Bress wrote:

We are on a the Comcast cable system so if it works as I understand it when
the US goes digital we will still get a analog signal over cable.
I am looking for a VHS recorder with an RF input using the usual F
connector. This will just be used for time shifting.

They have become impossible to find.

snip

I was just at a mass electronics recycling weekend (2200 cars each with
an average of three TVs/monitors/vcrs); most of the material was in
perfect working condition and all of it was unceremoniously scrapped.

If you are anywhere in the U.S. besides the countryside, put an add in
the paper, shop thrift stores, back alleys, dumpsters, etc. and you are
likely to find a pristine VHS VCR with RF input for next to or equal
to nothing.

Regards,

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charlie Bress wrote:
We are on a the Comcast cable system so if it works as I understand it when
the US goes digital we will still get a analog signal over cable.

The last I heard, the government says they can't convert digital signals to
analog; they can supply it to you through a set-top cable box that converts
it to analog but you won't get anything hooking up an analog set to the cable
once OTA analog dies. The last I heard, anyway.

--
God help us all,
The next President of the United States will be a liberal.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:34:27 -0500, Charlie Bress wrote:
We are on a the Comcast cable system so if it works as I understand it
when the US goes digital we will still get a analog signal over cable.

Yah. All Jesus and shopping channels, probably.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charlie Bress wrote:

We are on a the Comcast cable system so if it works as I understand it when
the US goes digital we will still get a analog signal over cable.
I am looking for a VHS recorder with an RF input using the usual F
connector. This will just be used for time shifting.

They have become impossible to find. As an alternative would be a vcr of
the current style with AV only inputs and a demodulator to take that cable
signal and provide AV outputs. The demodulator would need to be reasonably
priced.

New standalone VCRs of ANY kind are getting hard to find. If you go to a
combo DVD/VCR, many models have RF inputs.

--
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

clifto wrote:

We are on a the Comcast cable system so if it works as I understand it when
the US goes digital we will still get a analog signal over cable.

The last I heard, the government says they can't convert digital signals to
analog; they can supply it to you through a set-top cable box that converts
it to analog but you won't get anything hooking up an analog set to the cable
once OTA analog dies. The last I heard, anyway.

"They" (the cable companies) have been converting digital signals to analog
for many years. Many cable channels stopped delivering their signal in
analog format years ago, yet they still appear on analog cable.

Congress has mandated that Cable continue to offer analog local signals
as long as they offer an analog package, so in a year they will either
be dropping their analog package, or converting the digital OTA locals
to analog for these packages.

I get about 60 analog channels including the locals. My cable company has
made no announcement that they plan on dropping the analog package.

--
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

clifto wrote:

Charlie Bress wrote:
We are on a the Comcast cable system so if it works as I understand it when
the US goes digital we will still get a analog signal over cable.

The last I heard, the government says they can't convert digital signals to
analog; they can supply it to you through a set-top cable box that converts
it to analog but you won't get anything hooking up an analog set to the cable
once OTA analog dies. The last I heard, anyway.

The digital changover is only required for BROADCAST TV, not CATV or
SAT services.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
clifto wrote:
Charlie Bress wrote:
We are on a the Comcast cable system so if it works as I understand it when
the US goes digital we will still get a analog signal over cable.

The last I heard, the government says they can't convert digital signals to
analog; they can supply it to you through a set-top cable box that converts
it to analog but you won't get anything hooking up an analog set to the cable
once OTA analog dies. The last I heard, anyway.

The digital changover is only required for BROADCAST TV, not CATV or
SAT services.

True, but as the installed base of consumer gear trends more and more to
digital, those services will undoubtedly follow suit; in order to
eliminate the expense of redundancy.

(OTOH, if that were universally true, the telcos would have eliminated
pulse dialing capability years ago.)

Many cable systems have declared their intent to eliminate analog
service at some later date. Some have already set timetables.

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 30, 9:34*pm, "Charlie Bress" wrote:
We are on a the Comcast cable system so if it works as I understand it when
the US goes digital we will still get a analog signal over cable.
I am looking for a VHS recorder with an RF input using the usual F
connector. This will just be used for time shifting.

They have become impossible to find. *As an alternative would be a vcr of
the current style with AV only inputs and *a demodulator to take that cable
signal and provide AV outputs. The demodulator would need to be reasonably
priced.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Charlie

I live down the hill from our local Goodwill store where people donate
things they no longer need or want. They have a shelf full of VHS
VCRs for $12.00 each. That does not include the remote which they
sell at a glass counter for $1.00. I bought a very nice Panasonic 4
head HiFi just to have a spare.

Van