Old February 2nd 08, 08:06 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Do any DVD recorders of VCRs come with RF Modulator for Ch 3use?

Mark Zenier wrote:

Got to http://www.dtv2009.gov or call 1-888-DTV-2009 and give them
the details (fill in the form or do the voice mail stuff) and they'll
(if you qualify) send you up to two coupons for $40 each to buy a dtv
convertor box, which are supposed to be on sale real soon now for $50
to $70.

The models that qualify for the subsidy are stripped down and
only produce NTSC composite and/or RF outputs. There's a page
on the web site with a list.

The Zenith DTT900 (that I download the spec. sheet for) has
an RF output.

Some units are already out there. I just saw a posting that a
qualified Magnavox unit was at somebody's Walmart.
(There have been ATSC tuners out there for several years, but it
hasn't been worth $350 for me to bother 'till now.)

A) The Zenith is a re-branded LG.
B) A review of the Magnavox unit is at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=986114

C) No retailers with *any* boxes within 50 miles of me.

I wonder...could one hook one of these boxes up to his VCR to record an
analog version of a HDTV signal?

--
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.
Old February 3rd 08, 09:11 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Do any DVD recorders of VCRs come with RF Modulator for Ch 3

In article ,
UCLAN wrote:
Mark Zenier wrote:

Got to http://www.dtv2009.gov or call 1-888-DTV-2009 and give them
the details (fill in the form or do the voice mail stuff) and they'll
(if you qualify) send you up to two coupons for $40 each to buy a dtv
convertor box, which are supposed to be on sale real soon now for $50
to $70.

The models that qualify for the subsidy are stripped down and
only produce NTSC composite and/or RF outputs. There's a page
on the web site with a list.

The Zenith DTT900 (that I download the spec. sheet for) has
an RF output.

Some units are already out there. I just saw a posting that a
qualified Magnavox unit was at somebody's Walmart.
(There have been ATSC tuners out there for several years, but it
hasn't been worth $350 for me to bother 'till now.)

A) The Zenith is a re-branded LG.

I think of it more that Zenith IS LG. But there's not an LG branded
unit in the approved list.

B) A review of the Magnavox unit is at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=986114

Yea, great stuff there, (but it's a real pain if you're not on
broadband). I gather from the threads I read there that a lot
of these units use LG's guts.

C) No retailers with *any* boxes within 50 miles of me.

What are the chances that the government site it really up to date. ;-)

Maybe try the big box companies web sites, or call them on the phone?
Rant I'm not sure that would work any better. I went to a Best
Buy last week for another reason. That place doesn't have customers,
it has victims. /Rant

I wonder...could one hook one of these boxes up to his VCR to record an
analog version of a HDTV signal?

ooohhh. Good Question. I have a horrible feeling that they might
enable copy protection in the video if the right/(wrong?) bits in
the datastream say so. I wonder what the government certification
requirements said...

Mark Zenier

Old February 4th 08, 02:27 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 11:06:14 -0800 in sci.electronics.repair, UCLAN
wrote,
C) No retailers with *any* boxes within 50 miles of me.

Same here. Suburb of Los Angeles, CA.
Not exactly the middle of nowhere.

I wonder...could one hook one of these boxes up to his VCR to record an
analog version of a HDTV signal?

Sure, if you can actually get one.

Old February 4th 08, 09:05 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Harmon wrote:

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 11:06:14 -0800 in sci.electronics.repair, UCLAN
wrote,

C) No retailers with *any* boxes within 50 miles of me.

Same here. Suburb of Los Angeles, CA.
Not exactly the middle of nowhere.

Channel Master's box is due out next month. I'm shopping for a good UHF only
antenna in an effort to pick up LA's digital UHF stations. [I'm right on the
coast of SD North County, with a clear shot at Mt. Wilson.] I just got a
Bravia HDTV. The boxes would be for my VCRs.

I wonder...could one hook one of these boxes up to his VCR to record an
analog version of a HDTV signal?

Sure, if you can actually get one.

Asking availability questions at most local retailers brings on a blank stare
from the salespeople. I predict pandemonium in 2009.

--
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.

Old February 4th 08, 09:25 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark Zenier wrote:

C) No retailers with *any* boxes within 50 miles of me.

What are the chances that the government site it really up to date. ;-)

Maybe try the big box companies web sites, or call them on the phone?
Rant I'm not sure that would work any better. I went to a Best
Buy last week for another reason. That place doesn't have customers,
it has victims. /Rant

Just for grins, I visited and/or phoned about a dozen local A/V retailers
in my area. The result: Few have even heard of the boxes. Those that *had*
heard of them had no idea of if/when they would get any.

I wonder if the 80+% penetration by cable/DBS in this area has anything
to do with this? [nodding head...]

I wonder...could one hook one of these boxes up to his VCR to record an
analog version of a HDTV signal?

ooohhh. Good Question. I have a horrible feeling that they might
enable copy protection in the video if the right/(wrong?) bits in
the datastream say so. I wonder what the government certification
requirements said...

My VCRs are analog. They have no circuitry to recognize the copyright
"flag." They just react to Macrovision's AGC circuit fooling signal,
which isn't present in digital TV signals. I will probably get a
coupon/box (if/when they are available here) and try it out.

--
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.
Old February 4th 08, 10:14 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
z z is offline

On Jan 30, 1:30*pm, wrote:
I have a perfectly good 27" analog tube TV...... but
only has one input....a coaxial input to the tuner.

In order to use this TV for SD digital reception I am
looking for a VCR or DVD recorder that has atsc tuner
but also has built in RF modulator.

Does anyone know if such units exist that are atsc and
can be used on ch 3?

nah, just get somebody's broken vcr from freecycle or the like and use
it as a modulator.
Old February 5th 08, 02:01 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

For years VCR - DVD combo players all had cable jacks on them . Lately
that jack has been left out of them .

I own 3 DVD only recorders that have cable jacks . The tuners in these
will ot receive off air anymore when ``the change`` happens but they
should still recieve ordinary cable ?

Old February 5th 08, 07:23 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ken G. wrote:

For years VCR - DVD combo players all had cable jacks on them . Lately
that jack has been left out of them .

The cheap ones have no tuner, thus no need for a RF input. Higher end
gear has ATSC/NTSC/QAM capable tuners, and thus the RF *input* has
returned. RF *outputs* are still rare because newer TVs all have
composite/S-video/component inputs. An output modulator just takes
up space and adds to the cost. [I haven't used the RF output in any
of my VCRs in a decade. My Mitsubishi VCRs even have the option to
turn OFF the output modulator.]

I own 3 DVD only recorders that have cable jacks . The tuners in these
will ot receive off air anymore when ``the change`` happens but they
should still recieve ordinary cable ?

If your cable company offers an analog tier, or if your cable box has a
RF output, yes. [By "cable jacks" I assume you mean RF coaxial connections.]

--
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.
Old February 5th 08, 04:38 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

jakdedert wrote:

Doesn't usually work that well. The copy protection on the DVD kicks in
and varies the brightness on the output in cyclic fashion...not pretty.

jak

Andy comments:
I've run that setup and sometimes I see the copy protection and
sometimes I don't,.... I suspect that some DVDs are copy protected and
some aren't. If a person is using a his own DVD to make his own copy
off-air,
it won't have copy protection. Then, the playback is run to the VCR
inputs and the Channel 3 output goes to the NTSC television...
and it should work OK..

When VCRs quit, it's usually (in my experience) the transport
mechanism. The other stuff is still workable, and using it as
just an RF modulator should be very practical, unless you are
playing back a store bought, copy protected DVD.......
The broken VCR certainly has very little other practical use.
Andy in Eureka, Texas

DVD recorders Seafarer Electronics Repair 7 April 22nd 05 09:35 PM
Way OT -> DVD recorders Richard UK diy 70 March 29th 05 01:01 AM
VCR/DVD Recorders TP Electronics Repair 3 March 2nd 05 12:11 PM
DVD HDD recorders Mike UK diy 1 February 24th 05 11:00 PM
DVD HDD recorders Mike UK diy 11 February 8th 05 05:50 PM