Old January 30th 08, 02:13 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dumb TV question

"JeffM" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
Back when I was an apprentice, like 35 years ago,
the guy that I worked under in a TV workshop,
used to keep a short thin flourescent tube on his bench.
He used this to test for horizontal output stage activity,
simply by waving it around the FB tranny[...]

Old tricks are so cool.

Most of the similar 'bulbs' that I've seen on CRT base connector boards,
have been gas-filled spark gaps. I seem to recall that they used to put
argon in them, and when they went off as a result of an inter-electrode
short in the tube, they lit up white, rather than the orange glow of a
neon.

Well, Argon would be the cheapest
--but the Argon stuff I've seen glows purple.
Maybe those are a different gas--or a gas mixture.

You could very well be right - it's been a long time since I was
commercially involved in TV repair and doing it all day every day. I'm
pretty sure that they were argon filled, and I had this recollection of the
discharge being white or blue/white, but the old memory is not what it was
any more. Hell, I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast these
days - well, not quite, but you know what I mean !

Arfa

Old January 30th 08, 05:19 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 28, 5:56*pm, "Charles" wrote:
"oldfogie" wrote in message

.. .
What is the purpose of the small neon bulb by the flyback on older TVs? (I
haven't noticed it in any modern tvs.)

A voltage clipper? *Neon lamps have very high resistance and then drop to a
low resistance when the gas ionizes. *About 60 volts, I think.

Zenith liked to use them on their mid 60's - early 70's tube sets.
They seemed to use them for several purposes in the horiz. sweep
circuit.
I remember some 16" - 19" B&W portables where the neon bulb lit up
constantly
when the set was on. I have a 25CC50 chassis color set that uses two
in series in the HV regulator circuit. They light for a few seconds
after the
horiz. sweep starts then go out once the HV comes up.

Mike
Old February 1st 08, 04:55 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:

Assuming the HV supply is still good, you should have it rebuilt. Neon
signmakers are plentiful, generally do good worrk, and can duplicate any
tube you bring them.

Just a thought.

Even if it weren't, used neon transformers are cheap.

I haven't heard anything but incoherent rantings from that guy though, I
dunno what he's doing on this group. Nothing he posts makes any sense, or
has anything to do with electronics repair.

He trolls a lot of groups. Take a look at his rantings on
news:rec.radio.shortwave if you need proof.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old February 2nd 08, 12:17 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
James Sweet wrote:
Assuming the HV supply is still good, you should have it rebuilt. Neon
signmakers are plentiful, generally do good worrk, and can duplicate any
tube you bring them.

Just a thought.

Even if it weren't, used neon transformers are cheap.

I haven't heard anything but incoherent rantings from that guy though, I
dunno what he's doing on this group. Nothing he posts makes any sense, or
has anything to do with electronics repair.

He trolls a lot of groups. Take a look at his rantings on
news:rec.radio.shortwave if you need proof.

I think he's fairly innocuous; but it does appear that he's often
well-lubricated when he pushes the 'send' button. Basically, I think
he's just lonely...but annoying at times.

jak
Old February 8th 08, 04:54 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

jakdedert wrote:

I think he's fairly innocuous; but it does appear that he's often
well-lubricated when he pushes the 'send' button. Basically, I think
he's just lonely...but annoying at times.

If he's lonely, he needs to find someplace to do volunteer work. Find
a place where he can interact with others, rather than spend his time
bothering people online. Life is too short alredy, so live it while you
can.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old February 8th 08, 05:49 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
jakdedert wrote:

I think he's fairly innocuous; but it does appear that he's often
well-lubricated when he pushes the 'send' button. Basically,
I think he's just lonely...but annoying at times.

If he's lonely, he needs to find someplace to do volunteer work.
Find a place where he can interact with others, rather than
spend his time bothering people online.

I wish him luck finding it. In the Fall of 2004 I was unemployed and looking
for a way to usefully spend my time (if only to lighten my depression). When
I applied to the King County Library System to tutor kids in math and
science, I was immediately rejected as "unqualified".

Hell, I was accepted by Caltech, MIT, and Case.

I haven't looked for volunteer work since.

Old February 9th 08, 02:40 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

jakdedert wrote:

I think he's fairly innocuous; but it does appear that he's often
well-lubricated when he pushes the 'send' button. Basically,
I think he's just lonely...but annoying at times.

If he's lonely, he needs to find someplace to do volunteer work.
Find a place where he can interact with others, rather than
spend his time bothering people online.

I wish him luck finding it. In the Fall of 2004 I was unemployed and looking
for a way to usefully spend my time (if only to lighten my depression). When
I applied to the King County Library System to tutor kids in math and
science, I was immediately rejected as "unqualified".

Some only accept retired teachers, for some reason.

Hell, I was accepted by Caltech, MIT, and Case.

I haven't looked for volunteer work since.

There are a lot of retirement homes around here that welcome people
to spend time with the residents. Non profit thrift stores and various
clubs always need help. A friend has had to depend on community service
workers lately for his thrift store. The Humane Society, Habitat for
Humanity and any VA clinic or hospital needs volunteers. The local VA
clinics are all desperate for volunteer drivers, to drive the eight
passenger DAV vans from local clinics to the Gainsville VA hospital.
The local United Way has a list of about 100 organizations needing help.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old February 9th 08, 02:41 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell"
wrote in message ...

There are a lot of retirement homes around here that welcome
people to spend time with the residents.

There's a hospital not far from me, and I've considered going in. The
problem is that I'm not quite yet ready to listen to people talk on
ad-infinitum.

I appreciate your suggestions, though, and will keep them in mind. At the
moment, my car is not running reliably.

Dumb question? [email protected] Home Repair 8 August 29th 07 03:03 AM
Dumb question No Clue Electronic Schematics 23 May 2nd 07 05:05 PM
Dumb question? anthony Home Repair 14 April 5th 07 05:04 PM
dumb question...from the new kid intuitiveart Woodworking 10 December 6th 06 01:48 PM
Dumb question [email protected] Home Repair 7 April 5th 05 05:18 PM