Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DVD repair question

OK, went out for some brews last night. Person asks me about a Combo DVD/VCR
player she bought for her grandchild - not sure when - but from her manner
of speaking - not long ago.

According to her - the VCR works fine - DVD either gives a huge
"exclamation" type sign in the middle of the screen or will play the DVD
on a "split screen" type of display. Both screens - showing the same thing -
like watching the same movie on movie screens/TVs - side by side - but
scrunched up.

My first impression is to clean the lens/mechanism to see if that corrects
it. My second - "maybe" out of alignment. Not sure where to go from there.
I'm awaiting her to get back to me on a make and model OR drop it off.

Any ideas up front of where I can go assuming those two aren't the case -
OR - am I even on the right track?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

radiosrfun wrote:

OK, went out for some brews last night. Person asks me about a Combo
DVD/VCR player she bought for her grandchild - not sure when - but
from her manner of speaking - not long ago.

According to her - the VCR works fine - DVD either gives a huge
"exclamation" type sign in the middle of the screen or will play the
DVD on a "split screen" type of display. Both screens - showing the
same thing - like watching the same movie on movie screens/TVs - side
by side - but scrunched up.

My first impression is to clean the lens/mechanism to see if that
corrects it. My second - "maybe" out of alignment. Not sure where to
go from there. I'm awaiting her to get back to me on a make and model
OR drop it off.

Any ideas up front of where I can go assuming those two aren't the
case - OR - am I even on the right track?

Sounds more like some kind of sync problem than dirty/damaged lens.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Baron wrote:
radiosrfun wrote:

[...]

....and if bought recently, needs to go right back.

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

jakdedert wrote:

Baron wrote:
radiosrfun wrote:

[...]

Very definitely !
--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"radiosrfun" writes:

OK, went out for some brews last night. Person asks me about a Combo DVD/VCR
player she bought for her grandchild - not sure when - but from her manner
of speaking - not long ago.

According to her - the VCR works fine - DVD either gives a huge
"exclamation" type sign in the middle of the screen or will play the DVD
on a "split screen" type of display. Both screens - showing the same thing -
like watching the same movie on movie screens/TVs - side by side - but
scrunched up.

My first impression is to clean the lens/mechanism to see if that corrects
it. My second - "maybe" out of alignment. Not sure where to go from there.
I'm awaiting her to get back to me on a make and model OR drop it off.

Any ideas up front of where I can go assuming those two aren't the case -
OR - am I even on the right track?

For the split screen issue, might it be set for progressive scan?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jakdedert" wrote in message
. ..
Baron wrote:
radiosrfun wrote:

[...]

Well, without the "brews" - I'll have to ask her "when" she bought it! I
didn't get to that - had like 5 people trying to talk to me at once.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"radiosrfun" writes:

[...]

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above
is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included
in the

Don't know - I've got to get in touch with her again to see what the deal
is. I told her to get back to me on it. No call today!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Baron" wrote in message
jakdedert wrote:

Baron wrote:
radiosrfun wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your input as well - Baron!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"radiosrfun" wrote in message
"Baron" wrote in message
jakdedert wrote:

Baron wrote:
radiosrfun wrote:

[...]

Sounds to me that it's set for progessive scan playback, not interlaced.
Seen it before.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Baron" wrote in message
jakdedert wrote:

Baron wrote:
radiosrfun wrote:

[...]

I'll "probably" have to make a trip to her place to check the settings.
There's always tomorrow!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Jan 27, 8:37 pm, "radiosrfun" wrote:

My first impression is to clean the lens/mechanism to see if that corrects
it. My second - "maybe" out of alignment. Not sure where to go from there.

....'to someone who knows what they're doing' is where i would
recommend- if you go tinkering, you will screw it up even more. This
is nothing to do with lasers and alignments, it is likely a setup
issue.
-B
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 27, 10:15*pm, b wrote:
On Jan 27, 8:37 pm, "radiosrfun" wrote:

My first impression is to clean the lens/mechanism to see if that corrects
it. My second - "maybe" out of alignment. Not sure where to go from there.

...'to someone who knows what they're doing' is where i would
recommend- if you go tinkering, you will screw it up even more. This
is nothing to do with lasers and alignments, it is likely a setup
issue.
-B

(couldn't resist this one...)

I'll "probably" have to make a trip to her place to check the settings..."

If he's making a trip to her place, it sounds to me like he knows what
he's
doing!!!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mr. Land" wrote in message
On Jan 27, 10:15 pm, b wrote:
On Jan 27, 8:37 pm, "radiosrfun" wrote:

My first impression is to clean the lens/mechanism to see if that
corrects
it. My second - "maybe" out of alignment. Not sure where to go from
there.

...'to someone who knows what they're doing' is where i would
recommend- if you go tinkering, you will screw it up even more. This
is nothing to do with lasers and alignments, it is likely a setup
issue.
-B

(couldn't resist this one...)

I'll "probably" have to make a trip to her place to check the
settings..."

If he's making a trip to her place, it sounds to me like he knows what
he's
doing!!!

I know you couldn't resist a play on words - and that is cool! - Hells
fire - I'd have jumped on that - myself! It would be kinda hard not to pick
fun with that one.

Otherwise - NAH - not what you think. I just can't/don't want to see her
disconnecting cables and what not maybe upsetting the balance and not seeing
the issue first hand. Prefer to witness it on her set.

Her and her Husband are "slightly" related - like 5th cousins removed! Not
into "Incest" or "breaking up homes".

The last repair I did for them, was in a humungous boat - this past summer.
I sure in hell wouldn't want "that" brought here!

DVD repair question radiosrfun Electronics Repair 9 November 19th 07 04:13 PM
question about repair [email protected] Electronics Repair 18 November 28th 06 03:37 PM
Repair question DE Metalworking 8 June 1st 05 11:59 PM
tv repair question RB Electronics Repair 6 July 4th 04 05:10 AM
GE TV repair question max Electronics Repair 16 July 14th 03 01:14 AM