Old January 26th 08, 12:21 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default UK Moving coil meter repairer ?

The meter on my AVO VCM has gone open-circuit.
The movement is undamaged, swinging freely as it's
now undamped.
Is there a repairer in the UK anywhere ?

Jim Hawkins

Old January 26th 08, 01:25 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Hawkins wrote in message
The meter on my AVO VCM has gone open-circuit.
The movement is undamaged, swinging freely as it's
now undamped.
Is there a repairer in the UK anywhere ?

Jim Hawkins

These people
http://www.inmar.co.uk/about.htm
15 years ago when they traded as
Test Instrument Services
at the same address.
Contact them and please report back whether they still do or do not.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Old January 26th 08, 04:06 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" wrote in message
Jim Hawkins wrote in message
The meter on my AVO VCM has gone open-circuit.
The movement is undamaged, swinging freely as it's
now undamped.
Is there a repairer in the UK anywhere ?

Jim Hawkins

These people
http://www.inmar.co.uk/about.htm
15 years ago when they traded as
Test Instrument Services
at the same address.
Contact them and please report back whether they still do or do not.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Many thanks for that. I've emailed them and will let you know
the outcome.

Jim Hawkins

Old January 26th 08, 05:08 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Hawkins wrote:

The meter on my AVO VCM has gone open-circuit.
The movement is undamaged, swinging freely as it's
now undamped.
Is there a repairer in the UK anywhere ?

Jim Hawkins

AVO in Dover and Farnell in Wetherby both provide repair and calibration
services.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Old January 31st 08, 11:30 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Baron" wrote in message
Jim Hawkins wrote:

The meter on my AVO VCM has gone open-circuit.
The movement is undamaged, swinging freely as it's
now undamped.
Is there a repairer in the UK anywhere ?

Jim Hawkins

AVO in Dover and Farnell in Wetherby both provide repair and calibration
services.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Not for moving coil meters.

Jim Hawkins

Old January 31st 08, 05:59 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Hawkins wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message
Jim Hawkins wrote:

The meter on my AVO VCM has gone open-circuit.
The movement is undamaged, swinging freely as it's
now undamped.
Is there a repairer in the UK anywhere ?

Jim Hawkins

AVO in Dover and Farnell in Wetherby both provide repair and
calibration services.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Not for moving coil meters.

Jim Hawkins

Sorry to hear that Jim. Although I must confess I have never heard of
the movement going open circuit on an AVO before.
--
Regards:
Baron.
Old January 31st 08, 10:49 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Hawkins wrote:
"Baron" wrote in message
Jim Hawkins wrote:

The meter on my AVO VCM has gone open-circuit.
The movement is undamaged, swinging freely as it's
now undamped.
Is there a repairer in the UK anywhere ?

Jim Hawkins

AVO in Dover and Farnell in Wetherby both provide repair and
calibration services.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Not for moving coil meters.

Jim Hawkins

Gerry at Crowthorne Tubes might be worth trying.
http://www.crowthornetubes.com/valvetest.htm

Old February 10th 08, 03:30 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" wrote in message
Jim Hawkins wrote in message
The meter on my AVO VCM has gone open-circuit.
The movement is undamaged, swinging freely as it's
now undamped.
Is there a repairer in the UK anywhere ?

Jim Hawkins

These people
http://www.inmar.co.uk/about.htm
15 years ago when they traded as
Test Instrument Services
at the same address.
Contact them and please report back whether they still do or do not.

Emailed Inmar, but no reply so far.
Found a company (Glanford Electronics Ltd.), who offered to have a go,
but it didn't sound very hopeful. I've sent it to them, but still awaiting
the outcome.
But I've since found another company (Crowthorne Tubes Ltd) who
offer a replacement moving-coil movement which can be installed in
the original Avo meter case, and using the same dial. Their trick is
to use a 1mA movement (much more robust than the 30 microamp
original Avo one) and feed it with a suitable opamp! Neat!

Jim Hawkins

Old February 10th 08, 03:37 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Baron" wrote in message
Jim Hawkins wrote:

The meter on my AVO VCM has gone open-circuit.
The movement is undamaged, swinging freely as it's
now undamped.
Is there a repairer in the UK anywhere ?

Jim Hawkins

AVO in Dover and Farnell in Wetherby both provide repair and calibration
services.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Neither want to know.

Jim Hawkins

Old February 10th 08, 03:40 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Martin Crossley" wrote in message
Jim Hawkins wrote:
"Baron" wrote in message
Jim Hawkins wrote:

The meter on my AVO VCM has gone open-circuit.
The movement is undamaged, swinging freely as it's
now undamped.
Is there a repairer in the UK anywhere ?

Jim Hawkins
AVO in Dover and Farnell in Wetherby both provide repair and
calibration services.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Not for moving coil meters.

Jim Hawkins

Gerry at Crowthorne Tubes might be worth trying.
http://www.crowthornetubes.com/valvetest.htm

Yes! Many thanks for that. He has a much better
solution than trying to fix a 30 microamp movement!
(See my reply to N Cook above)

Jim Hawkins