DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Toshiba 20" TV DVD (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/231452-toshiba-20-tv-dvd.html)

Dani January 26th 08 06:23 AM

Toshiba 20" TV DVD

Model # 20HLV86S, won't play DVD's. I can't locate any DVD parts
listing, even at Toshiba.
Are there any DVD parts available? It's only 14 months old. Dani.

Art January 26th 08 11:59 AM

Toshiba 20" TV DVD

Suggest contacting an authorized servicer, or call Toshiba to determine if
the unit is considered "disposable" because of no service parts being
available.

William Sommerwerck January 26th 08 01:36 PM

Toshiba 20" TV DVD

Toshiba is legally obligated to provide repair parts for several years after
a product is discontinued.

MrManuals January 26th 08 04:07 PM

Toshiba 20" TV DVD

"Dani" wrote in message
Model # 20HLV86S, won't play DVD's. I can't locate any DVD parts
listing, even at Toshiba.
Are there any DVD parts available? It's only 14 months old. Dani.

http://www.justmanuals.com/toshiba-l...e-p-11058.html

$9.99 and instant download.

Arfa Daily January 28th 08 01:01 AM

Toshiba 20" TV DVD

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
Toshiba is legally obligated to provide repair parts for several years
after
a product is discontinued.

Many manufacturers won't or can't supply parts such as replacement decks,
even when the unit is in warranty. With integrated units, even if they are
prepared to supply the parts, the cost is often so prohibitive as to render
the unit BER. To the OP. Does the unit play anything ie CDs. If not, is the
laser 'home' ? Does the loading sequence complete correctly ? Can you see
the laser burning ? Does focus search take place ? Does the disc spin up ?
There could be lots of (easily fixable) reasons why it's not playing, as
well as some that are not so readily resolved.

Arfa

Jamie January 28th 08 01:44 AM

Toshiba 20" TV DVD

Arfa Daily wrote:

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

Toshiba is legally obligated to provide repair parts for several years
after
a product is discontinued.

Many manufacturers won't or can't supply parts such as replacement decks,
even when the unit is in warranty. With integrated units, even if they are
prepared to supply the parts, the cost is often so prohibitive as to render
the unit BER. To the OP. Does the unit play anything ie CDs. If not, is the
laser 'home' ? Does the loading sequence complete correctly ? Can you see
the laser burning ? Does focus search take place ? Does the disc spin up ?
There could be lots of (easily fixable) reasons why it's not playing, as
well as some that are not so readily resolved.

Arfa

Also, one unit I looked at was using a conventional Laptop type DVD
player/burner in it. Which means the whole deck is replaceable..

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT
THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Arfa Daily January 28th 08 10:08 AM

Toshiba 20" TV DVD

"Jamie" t wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

With units that use an apparently conventional integrated IDE drive, for
sure, that's often felt to be the case, but even if you get what appears to
be exactly the same make and model of drive, usually, it doesn't seem to
work. Presumably, as an OEM purchaser of these drives, the manufacturer has
them 'customed' with some kind of 'soft' ID that the equipment that they are
putting them in, recognises. There may even be changes to the control
software to suit the protocols of the equipment's system bus, rather than
those of a standard computer IDE bus.

Arfa