DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Perished vinyl turntable mat (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/231281-perished-vinyl-turntable-mat.html)

n cook January 24th 08 05:07 PM

Perished vinyl turntable mat

On a Technics SL QL1 otherwise failure of traverse.
The mat had turned rigid and fragile leaving light oil on the underlying
platter. What has caused this (unknown history) ? is the oily stuff
dangerous to human or materials?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

[email protected] January 25th 08 05:17 AM

On Jan 24, 9:07*am, "N Cook" wrote:
On a Technics SL QL1 otherwise failure of traverse.
The mat had turned rigid and fragile leaving light oil on the

underlying
platter. What has caused this (unknown history) ? is the oily stuff
dangerous to human or materials?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list

onhttp://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/

Well I wouldn't eat it but I'd clean it off with alcohols or my
favorite, Xylene. Xylene DESTROYS styrenes but I assume the platter is
cast aluminium (UK spelling?) which would not be bothered at all. If
you're skittish about xylene wear gloves but in small amounts it
doesn;t seem to bother my skin.

GG

n cook January 25th 08 08:05 AM

wrote in message
On Jan 24, 9:07 am, "N Cook" wrote:
On a Technics SL QL1 otherwise failure of traverse.
The mat had turned rigid and fragile leaving light oil on the

underlying
platter. What has caused this (unknown history) ? is the oily stuff
dangerous to human or materials?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list

onhttp://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/

Well I wouldn't eat it but I'd clean it off with alcohols or my
favorite, Xylene. Xylene DESTROYS styrenes but I assume the platter is
cast aluminium (UK spelling?) which would not be bothered at all. If
you're skittish about xylene wear gloves but in small amounts it
doesn;t seem to bother my skin.

GG

I know a chemist who is always banging on about phthalates, the dangerous to
himans softener in soft plastic, in the environment. I am aware of
powercords stored around perspex deck covers or "rubber" grommets stored in
perspex drawers exuding something that "melts" the hard plastic. But then a
bottle of culinary/dental clove oil , tipped over, and leaking will weld
ball-point pens together.
Anyone know chemically what this oil is that is presumably the softener in
such "rubber" mats and grommets etc?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

bz January 25th 08 01:34 PM