Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default RCA 61 " DLP strange visual effect just happen..

I haven't yet looked at the unit how ever, last night as the wife
turns off the DLP 61", I noticed a brighter band about 15 % of
the screens vertical height kind of showing as a brighter part of
the image at an angle. The rest of the image looked ok but I noticed
it was dimmer than it should be. If I didn't know any better, it almost
looks like something hanging in front of the lamp like a wire or
reflecting off some where.
My analogy of this tells me I may have a bad lamp with a hanging
element in it or, maybe something has fallen in the optical area?
What do you think?

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jamie" t wrote in message
I haven't yet looked at the unit how ever, last night as the wife
turns off the DLP 61", I noticed a brighter band about 15 % of
the screens vertical height kind of showing as a brighter part of
the image at an angle. The rest of the image looked ok but I noticed
it was dimmer than it should be. If I didn't know any better, it almost
looks like something hanging in front of the lamp like a wire or
reflecting off some where.
My analogy of this tells me I may have a bad lamp with a hanging
element in it or, maybe something has fallen in the optical area?
What do you think?

There isn't really anything to hang in the lamp, you could pull it out and
look for contamination on the arc tube or reflector though, maybe a bug or
something got in there.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I don't rememberseeing it on an RCA before but it sounds like one of the
mirrors in the light tunnel has become displaced. It is between the color
wheel and the dmd ass'y.

"Jamie" t wrote in message
I haven't yet looked at the unit how ever, last night as the wife
turns off the DLP 61", I noticed a brighter band about 15 % of
the screens vertical height kind of showing as a brighter part of
the image at an angle. The rest of the image looked ok but I noticed
it was dimmer than it should be. If I didn't know any better, it almost
looks like something hanging in front of the lamp like a wire or
reflecting off some where.
My analogy of this tells me I may have a bad lamp with a hanging
element in it or, maybe something has fallen in the optical area?
What do you think?

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AJ AJ is offline

See quite a few of these sets with the shadow you describe. Fix is to have
the light engine rebuilt by a company like PTS in Bloomington, Indiana.
Check their web site regarding cost and contact information. Otherwise, if
it is under service contract, call the service company to check it out. Lamp
will not cause this symptom nor will the colour wheel. Cheers.Meat Plow"
wrote in message ...
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 21:00:52 -0500, Jamie wrote:

I haven't yet looked at the unit how ever, last night as the wife
turns off the DLP 61", I noticed a brighter band about 15 % of
the screens vertical height kind of showing as a brighter part of
the image at an angle. The rest of the image looked ok but I noticed
it was dimmer than it should be. If I didn't know any better, it almost
looks like something hanging in front of the lamp like a wire or
reflecting off some where.
My analogy of this tells me I may have a bad lamp with a hanging
element in it or, maybe something has fallen in the optical area?
What do you think?

Like another posted, a displaced mirror in the light tunnel would cause a
shaded zone in the picture.

Not to mildly change the subject, I once got a call from a lady who was
terrified about a shadow of a spider inside her rear projector Mitsubishi.
She wanted to pay 75 bucks for a house call to remove it. I told her it
would probably go away but she insisted however it was gone by the time I
got there later in the day. I did however clean the optics and did a
dynamic alignment and she was thrilled at the revival of her picture.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't a displaced mirror cause image alignment and maybe ghosting
overlap?
I don't get either of this. there is no ghosting and no alignment
problems..
Just the unaffected area's are darker than they should be while the
brighter band looks more to a normal intensity of the video..
But i'll consider that as I get ready to install a new lamp, It's
about time for a new lamp any ways. I need to clean it out. It wouldn't
surprise me to find a load of dust in there.

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Wouldn't a displaced mirror cause image alignment and maybe ghosting
overlap?
I don't get either of this. there is no ghosting and no alignment
problems..
Just the unaffected area's are darker than they should be while the
brighter band looks more to a normal intensity of the video..
But i'll consider that as I get ready to install a new lamp, It's about
time for a new lamp any ways. I need to clean it out. It wouldn't surprise
me to find a load of dust in there.

Not necessarily, it depends on which mirror.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art Art is offline

Seen way too many or the RCA devices where the specific symptom (Slight
shadow diagonal across the raster) is caused by defects within the Light