DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   TIP: marker pens for ICs and valve/tubes. (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/226910-tip-marker-pens-ics-valve-tubes.html)

n cook December 21st 07 03:52 PM

TIP: marker pens for ICs and valve/tubes.

For a while now I've been using felt tip "metallic marker" pens for
contrasty marking over black IC bodies.
UK/ASDA own brand silver-colour and gold-colour work very well, but like all
these they are broad tip only , so its a matter of sharpening the tip with a
razor blade and using the very lightest of writing force.
I've also been using them to write gains , test date etc on the bakelite
skirts of valves/tubes.
Today I wondered if they would survive hot glass envelopes of valves in
use,.
Tried marking some glass with the silver and gold and also a black permanent
CD marker pen. Taking to 220 degree C the metallics surtvived fione but the
CD marking degraded easily. Will have to see about long term use but worth a
try

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England