Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Ceramic disc capacitors

I've recently had a few cases of ceramic discs - usually 0.1µF used for HF
smoothing - failing short circuit. They've been generic wax covered beige
coloured types. Any better replacement - or particular make to go for?

--
*Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

I've recently had a few cases of ceramic discs - usually 0.1µF used for HF
smoothing - failing short circuit. They've been generic wax covered beige
coloured types. Any better replacement - or particular make to go for?

Ceramic multi-layers may be a better choice but I will add that I've had
trouble even with these when used for supply bypassing on analogue supplies
like 15V (they sometimes caught fire).

As a result I tend to use polyester film/mylar types on anything above 5V.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

I've recently had a few cases of ceramic discs - usually 0.1µF used
for HF smoothing - failing short circuit. They've been generic wax
covered beige coloured types. Any better replacement - or particular
make to go for?

Ceramic multi-layers may be a better choice but I will add that I've had
trouble even with these when used for supply bypassing on analogue
supplies like 15V (they sometimes caught fire).

As a result I tend to use polyester film/mylar types on anything above
5V.

Thanks for that - is their performance as good? I'm not really concerned
about cost giving the few ever needed.

Graham

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?