DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   FM Antenna (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/223442-fm-antenna.html)

Buck Turgidson December 2nd 07 08:24 PM

FM Antenna

I am getting to close up my walls after a basement remodel. Before I do, I
was wondering if there was a way to fashion an FM antenna, such as coax or
something like that snaking up the wall, that might give me a bit of FM
reception in the basement.

Thanks.

William Sommerwerck December 2nd 07 09:35 PM

FM Antenna

For those who don't get the joke, Buck Turgidson was the crazy Air Force
officer in "Dr. Strangelove" played by Sterling Hayden.

bw December 3rd 07 06:54 AM

FM Antenna

On Dec 2, 3:35 pm, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
For those who don't get the joke, Buck Turgidson was the crazy Air Force
officer in "Dr. Strangelove" played by Sterling Hayden.

Wrong. The character was played by George C. Scott.

Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] December 3rd 07 11:40 AM

FM Antenna

wrote:
For those who don't get the joke, Buck Turgidson was the crazy Air Force
officer in "Dr. Strangelove" played by Sterling Hayden.

Wrong. The character was played by George C. Scott.

Yes, and it wasn't Turgidson that was (all that) crazy - it was Gen Jack D.
Ripper.

Mark Z.

William Sommerwerck December 3rd 07 11:53 AM

FM Antenna

wrote:
For those who don't get the joke, Buck Turgidson was the crazy Air Force
officer in "Dr. Strangelove" played by Sterling Hayden.

Wrong. The character was played by George C. Scott.

Right. Thanks for the correction.

Charles December 4th 07 10:13 PM

FM Antenna

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I am getting to close up my walls after a basement remodel. Before I do, I
was wondering if there was a way to fashion an FM antenna, such as coax or
something like that snaking up the wall, that might give me a bit of FM
reception in the basement.

Before you close up the walls, you can hack together a quick antenna to see
if it is worth the effort. The most popular FM antenna was once the "folded
dipole" made from twin-transmission line ... that was back when balanced 300
ohm antenna inputs were common. With coax inputs, an ordinary wire dipole
antenna is a good choice.

Orient the antenna for the best reception for the weakest station of
interest.

Google for "dipole antenna" to determine how long to make the antenna.