Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Christmas Light Puzzler - HELP

Hi All,

I have a pre-lit, 12', 5-year old Christmas tree with about 2500 lights.
Entire sections (levels of branches, if you will) will not light. You can
imagine what it's like to search and replace burnt bulbs.

The bulbs are of the "shunt type" of course, but still, no lights. I have
good line voltage at the end of the string, so I am pretty certain it's not
a broken wire.

The first bulb in each section is a non-removable, non-shunt type bulb. The
directions say only that it is a safety bulb and cannot be replaced. On at
least one string, this safety bulb appears to be blown.

What gives here? I have shunt bulbs that are supposed to keep a blown bulb
from taking out the whole section, but yet they are all out. I have line
voltage all the way through the string, and yet no lights. And I have a
"safety bulb" that cannot be replaced, yet is blown.

What happens if I cut the safety bulb off (it's molded into its socket) and
twist the three wires together. What safety can this be providing any way?
Any other ideas, aside from what we did last year - just throw a set of
lights on it, which defeats the purpose of paying the price for a pre-lit
tree?

This is driving me and my wife insane.

Thanks in advance for your input.