DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Magnavox Standby Transformer Testing (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/221474-magnavox-standby-transformer-testing.html)

[email protected] November 17th 07 07:55 PM

Magnavox Standby Transformer Testing

Hi
I am new to Google Groups and this is my first post.

I have a Magnavox RM8341 projection TV. The tv does not power up and I
believe the problem is with the standby power. The TV has a very small
dc standby transformer.

Its kind of hard to describe ,but it here it goes.

The primary has 5 pins.
The ground is in the middle (3rd pin).
On both sides of the ground there are a pair of pins being the power
input.

The secondary has 3 pins.
The ground is on the end of the transformer.
And the output are together.

My questions is exactly how do I test this transformer?

Can someone give me more specs on the transformer?

Here are two links for images of the transformer:
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7...650x600gw0.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4...800x544qe3.jpg.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

[email protected] November 17th 07 09:34 PM

Magnavox Standby Transformer Testing

I have a service paper that came with the TV but its no help at all.
All it says from my understanding is that 12V enters the primary and
the next test point after the secondary indicates 9V.

[email protected] November 18th 07 10:25 AM

On 17 Nov, 22:34, wrote:
I have a service paper that came with the TV but its no help at all.
All it says from my understanding is that 12V enters the primary and
the next test point after the secondary indicates 9V.

Transformers are a black hole in repairing, if you can find the
service manual you could have the directions for checking ohms at the
coils. Otherwise you must unsolder it and just check the continuity of
the coils.

Good luck

Pixel

[email protected] November 18th 07 08:30 PM

Magnavox Standby Transformer Testing

Thanks for th help
I have removed the transformer from the board and tested for
continuity and I get a good reading for both primary windings and the
single secondary winding.

Could the problem be bad solder connections because someone had the
same problem with a standby transformer and it ended up being bad
solder connections.

I don't mean to be rude but does anyone have a copy of this TV's
service manual.

Thanks again for all of those that helped.
THANK YOU