DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Simple hall effect current transformer..? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/220477-simple-hall-effect-current-transformer.html)

Geir Holmavatn[_2_] November 9th 07 11:22 PM

Simple hall effect current transformer..?

Hi,

I wonder if there exist simple current transformer solutions using hall
effect devices instead of bulky wound coils. I need to measure current
between 0 and 100amps flowing in 1-phase or 3-phase mains cables. The
units should contain an A/D converter with output to a standard bus,
like for example 1-wire etc..

Has anyone here heard about simple yet relatively accurate (+/- 3%)
current sense devices / solutions with digital output..?

Thanks for comments and info

regards

Geir

Jamie November 10th 07 12:21 AM

Geir Holmavatn wrote:

Hi,

I wonder if there exist simple current transformer solutions using hall
effect devices instead of bulky wound coils. I need to measure current
between 0 and 100amps flowing in 1-phase or 3-phase mains cables. The
units should contain an A/D converter with output to a standard bus,
like for example 1-wire etc..

Has anyone here heard about simple yet relatively accurate (+/- 3%)
current sense devices / solutions with digital output..?

Thanks for comments and info

regards

Geir

http://www.apcs.net.au/products/niche/hct016.html

something like that?

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Dave Plowman (News) November 10th 07 07:40 AM

Simple hall effect current transformer..?

In article ,
Geir Holmavatn wrote:
Hi,

I wonder if there exist simple current transformer solutions using hall
effect devices instead of bulky wound coils. I need to measure current
between 0 and 100amps flowing in 1-phase or 3-phase mains cables. The
units should contain an A/D converter with output to a standard bus,
like for example 1-wire etc..

Has anyone here heard about simple yet relatively accurate (+/- 3%)
current sense devices / solutions with digital output..?

Thanks for comments and info

Sounds like what you want is a clamp test meter. They work to that sort of
accuracy. They're priced from only a few dollars - but one with a data
output bus will be more.

--
*Preserve wildlife - Go pickle a squirrel*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

isw November 11th 07 04:05 AM

Geir Holmavatn wrote:

Hi,

I wonder if there exist simple current transformer solutions using hall
effect devices instead of bulky wound coils.

Check out F. W. Bell; they used to make Hall-based units good for up to
a few hundred amps.

Isaac

[email protected] November 11th 07 03:58 PM

Simple hall effect current transformer..?

On Nov 10, 8:05 pm, isw wrote:
Check out F. W. Bell;

Indeed some neat products. The OP request for a digital output may not
be so immediately available but the following link points to an "easy
to embed" solution for in-system use. The 0-5V output can easily be
converted to a digital value by feeding the voltage into the A/D
converter of your favorite microcontroller.

ciscodsl

[email protected] November 11th 07 03:59 PM

http://www.sypris.com/stm/content.asp?page_id=371