Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LCR meter

What is an LCR meter?

Thanks,

Don

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g g is offline

In article , "D-unit" cof42_AT_embarqmail.com wrote:
What is an LCR meter?

Thanks,

Don

http://www.bkprecision.com/meter_met...umidity_ph.htm
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"G" wrote in message
In article , "D-unit"
cof42_AT_embarqmail.com wrote:
What is an LCR meter?

Thanks,

Don

"L", the mathematical symbol for inductance, "C", the same for capacitance,
"R" the same for resistance, so a meter that measures inductance,
capacitance, and resistance ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...

"G" wrote in message
In article , "D-unit"
cof42_AT_embarqmail.com wrote:
What is an LCR meter?

Thanks,

Don

"L", the mathematical symbol for inductance, "C", the same for capacitance,
"R" the same for resistance, so a meter that measures inductance,
capacitance, and resistance ...

Arfa

Is there anything superior about this equipment over a standard
VOM other than the "L" and the "C"?

Thanks!!!!!!

Don

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g g is offline

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"G" wrote in message
In article , "D-unit"
cof42_AT_embarqmail.com wrote:
What is an LCR meter?

Thanks,

Don

"L", the mathematical symbol for inductance, "C", the same for capacitance,
"R" the same for resistance, so a meter that measures inductance,
capacitance, and resistance ...

Arfa

Is there anything superior about this equipment over a standard
VOM other than the "L" and the "C"

No, its rather simple. You can buy better true RMS meters. If
you have the need for the LC meter, then its real handy. I don't understand
why more meters don't have the L, other than the need. If you can measure
C, then it easy to convert to L measurment with the right calculations.

greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
joe joe is offline

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"G" wrote in message
In article , "D-unit"
cof42_AT_embarqmail.com wrote:
What is an LCR meter?

Thanks,

Don

"L", the mathematical symbol for inductance, "C", the same for
capacitance,
"R" the same for resistance, so a meter that measures inductance,
capacitance, and resistance ...

Arfa

Is there anything superior about this equipment over a standard
VOM other than the "L" and the "C"

No, its rather simple. You can buy better true RMS meters. If
you have the need for the LC meter, then its real handy. I don't
understand
why more meters don't have the L, other than the need. If you can measure
C, then it easy to convert to L measurment with the right calculations.

greg

Hmm, interesting,
I have a Capacitance meter, so how do I check an inductor with it ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"G" wrote in message
In article , "D-unit"
cof42_AT_embarqmail.com wrote:
What is an LCR meter?

Thanks,

Don

"L", the mathematical symbol for inductance, "C", the same for capacitance,
"R" the same for resistance, so a meter that measures inductance,
capacitance, and resistance ...

Arfa

Is there anything superior about this equipment over a standard
VOM other than the "L" and the "C"

No, its rather simple. You can buy better true RMS meters. If
you have the need for the LC meter, then its real handy. I don't understand
why more meters don't have the L, other than the need. If you can measure
C, then it easy to convert to L measurment with the right calculations.

This seems to be the blind leading the blind.

There is no way to connect an inductor to a capacitor meter, get a
measurement and then calculate the inductance.

If you want to measure resistance then a VOM will do the job. If you
want to measure capacitance then a capacitance meter will do the job.
If you want to measure inductance than an inductance meter (I suppose
that there is such a thing) would do the job.

If you want to measure resistance, inductance and capacitance with one
meter then you need an LCR meter.

See a nice one at
www.anatekcorp.com/testequpment/atlaslcr.htm

John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"G" wrote in message
[...]

They do come in other combinations as well. My bench portable digital meter
has the standard volts, amps and ohms ranges, as well as L and C, so I guess
that's an LCRVA meter ... !!

One interesting thing that I'd never noticed before. The bank of half a
dozen switch positions which cover the capacitance ranges, are actually
marked "F" ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Arfa Daily wrote:

"John Bachman" wrote in message

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 21:13:29 GMT, (G) wrote:

In article , "D-unit"
cof42_AT_embarqmail.com wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"G" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Are the inductance ranges marked "H?"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"CJT" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

"John Bachman" wrote in message

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 21:13:29 GMT, (G) wrote:

In article , "D-unit"
cof42_AT_embarqmail.com wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"G" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Ah yes ... I see where you're going ! Indeed they are. "H" for Henries, "F"
for Farads. Each individual range is then marked by its sub multiplier 2n
..... 200n .... 200u ....F

Amazing how 'fixed' you can get in your thinking. I used to have a digital
meter that had a crude frequency counter - as in it only went to a coupla
megs - built into it, and I seem to recall that the frequency ranges on that
were marked "F" also, hence why my poor addled old head immediately thought
"Frequency" rather than "Farads". Thanks for making me think about it again
!

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g g is offline

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"G" wrote in message
[...]

Why don't you try it and get back to us. I never tried it. A capicitance
meter has a resistor, oscillator, and voltmeter. An inductance meter
has a resistor, an oscillator, and a voltmeter. I would think it
should work. You do have to generate a conversion graph.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 14:14:11 GMT, (G) wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"G" wrote in message
[...]

The difference is that a capacitance meter usually uses a known
constant current source to drive the capacitor under test and monitors
the resulting voltage to calculate the capacitance.

Conversely, an inductance meter uses a known constant voltage source
to drive the inductance under test and monitors the resulting current
to calculate the inductance.

Therefore, your scheme will not work.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Bachman wrote:

If you want to measure resistance, inductance and capacitance with one
meter then you need an LCR meter.

For the OP,

The proper term for these things is 'LCR bridge'

Googling that shows plenty of examples :-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 19:19:49 +0000, Adrian C
wrote:

John Bachman wrote:

If you want to measure resistance, inductance and capacitance with one
meter then you need an LCR meter.

For the OP,

The proper term for these things is 'LCR bridge'

Googling that shows plenty of examples :-)

A bridge is one type of LCR meter. The OP originally asked about
meters, which do not have to be bridges.

John
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Bachman wrote:

The proper term for these things is 'LCR bridge'

Googling that shows plenty of examples :-)

A bridge is one type of LCR meter. The OP originally asked about
meters, which do not have to be bridges.

OK, but I would guess by number that most LCR meters worth using (and
probably sold) would work by the bridge method?

http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/SM8280.htm

So something else to look at...

--
Adrian C

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 23:07:10 +0000, Adrian C
wrote:

John Bachman wrote:

The proper term for these things is 'LCR bridge'

Googling that shows plenty of examples :-)

A bridge is one type of LCR meter. The OP originally asked about
meters, which do not have to be bridges.

OK, but I would guess by number that most LCR meters worth using (and
probably sold) would work by the bridge method?

http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/SM8280.htm

So something else to look at...

We have a very nice micro-controller based one at
www.anatekcorp.com/testequipment/atlaslcr.htm

It does a very nice job and seems popular with the techs and
engineers.

John