DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to recover a crashed laptop hard disk (windows NTFS) (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/219959-re-how-recover-crashed-laptop-hard-disk-windows-ntfs.html)

Erica Eshoo November 4th 07 06:20 PM

How to recover a crashed laptop hard disk (windows NTFS)

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 09:28:42 -0800, Eric Gisin wrote:
The heads will not load unless spindle is spinning.
Therefore, you cannot have clicking without spinning.
PC World is full of ****.
http://www.pcworld.com/video/catid,1...e,1/video.html
How to Resurrect a Crashed Hard Drive - PC World Video
PC World says the freezer trick will only work for a clicking but not
spinning hard disk drive.

Interesting!

So, you're saying that, since I clearly hear a sequence of initial loud
clicks (about a score of them in about as many seconds) in the naked laptop
hard disk drive hooked up to the USB port via the IDE-to-USB adapter ...
then my drive is spinning for sure because it's clicking?

I had already realized it was spinning because when I pressed on the top of
the hard disk drive, I could hear a whirr as I made something touch
something else.

I've already put a spare hard disk in the kid's laptop - but now I have an
activation problem. I can't get past the activation screen which just
hangs. I'm sure the hard disk has a valid WinXP but obviously for another
laptop (not the one I put it in) - so I'm not surprised the Winxp OS balked
.... but shouldnt' Windows XP give me the opportunity to enter whatever
information it needs?

How do I enter whatever information it needs if it just comes up with a
blank Windows Activation box which hangs for hours with no way to enter
anything.

Why is the world punishing me! :) Was I a bad girl or something! :)

Baron November 4th 07 06:54 PM

Erica Eshoo wrote:

[...]

The copy of wins on the drive doesn't like the changed hardware that it
sees when it trys to boot. Re-install time.........;-(

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Rod Speed November 4th 07 07:09 PM

Erica Eshoo wrote:
[...]

Yep, it was that furious drunken grave dancing that you were warned about.

You wouldnt listen...

Jumpster Jiver November 5th 07 02:31 AM

How to recover a crashed laptop hard disk (windows NTFS)

I had already realized it was spinning because when I pressed on the top of
the hard disk drive, I could hear a whirr as I made something touch
something else.

Most laptop hard drives have a label that says DO NOT PRESS HERE!

A hard drive depends on a 100% dust free interior to work correctly.
By causing the cover to rub on the spindle that holds the disc in place,
even for a moment, you have likely ground off a few tiny metal particles.
These particles will probably end up between the heads and the disc.
This will scratch the disc and damage the heads.
That hard drive is no longer reliable.
If you get the system up and runnig you should retrieve all the data you
can off that drive then destroy it (to prevent someone else from
stealing your information.)