DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hitachi D-135 8 track player/recorder repair (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/218978-hitachi-d-135-8-track-player-recorder-repair.html)

CheetahHugger October 27th 07 10:12 AM

Hitachi D-135 8 track player/recorder repair

Got is out of a dumpster, stretched belt as usual but after belt
replacement the motor still can't manage to play the tapes without skew,
there's no trouble moving flywheel and tape transport seems to be fine,
the problem is even with fresh repaired cartridges.
It's so easy to stop the spinning motor with my fingers that i wonder if
it's normal, however the motor spins freely without power.
Any suggestions on how i could fix this?
My first test would be applying external power to the motor.

Cheetah

Ken G. October 28th 07 03:49 PM

Hitachi D-135 8 track player/recorder repair

What is `skew` ? Many times the tape head gets dirty or off track so
the music sounds very muffled . Other thing is the motor speed gets off
..

b October 28th 07 05:04 PM

CheetahHugger wrote:
Got is out of a dumpster, stretched belt as usual but after belt
replacement the motor still can't manage to play the tapes without skew,
there's no trouble moving flywheel and tape transport seems to be fine,
the problem is even with fresh repaired cartridges.
It's so easy to stop the spinning motor with my fingers that i wonder if
it's normal, however the motor spins freely without power.
Any suggestions on how i could fix this?
My first test would be applying external power to the motor.

Cheetah

check the surface of the capstan which contacts the tape....

-B

CheetahHugger October 29th 07 06:00 AM

Hitachi D-135 8 track player/recorder repair

The problem is a weak motor, i have 6V on the motor but it takes so
little effort to stop the motor that i wonder if i have a power fault or
bad motor, capstan and flywheel are ok. Everything moves freely.
The motor just can't pull it, faulty motor?

Cheetah

mark October 29th 07 07:41 AM

CheetahHugger wrote:
The problem is a weak motor, i have 6V on the motor but it takes so
little effort to stop the motor that i wonder if i have a power fault or
bad motor, capstan and flywheel are ok. Everything moves freely.
The motor just can't pull it, faulty motor?

Cheetah

Does the motor turn freely if not a little lubricant might help.

CheetahHugger October 30th 07 11:08 AM

Hitachi D-135 8 track player/recorder repair

Does the motor turn freely if not a little lubricant might help.

Again, everything moves freely, that includes the motor shaft which i
can spin by hand and it will take some time to stop so no, the motor
is not jammed, neither any other parts so again my question, am i
dealing with a faulty motor (how likely?) or is there a power problem.
At first i'd say power is good but you never know.

Cheetah