Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default dishonest advertising...

Lest anyone think I'm just down on Bose, there's plenty of other dishonest
advertising out there.

The recent Apple Macintosh ads were filled with half-truths and outright
lies. Rather than try to _explain_ why the Mac is superior to Windows (I
don't want to get into that argument -- though the Mac has legitimate
advantages, Windows-based computers are, overall, superior), we're treated
to cutesy, simple-minded sound-bite misrepresentations.

About 10 years ago Kodak ran TV ads for their new color films that were
outright lies. And doing some research on early Kodaks, I found the
following statement about the original Kodak:

"The Kodak will photograph anything, still or moving, indoors or out."

Slow lens, slow film, slow shutter, no flash. Not likely.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 19, 8:47 am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

"The Kodak will photograph anything, still or moving, indoors or out."

Nothing stated about the quality of the results, just the most basic
function of the product.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears wil be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: (1) Pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)

Advertizing and representations of quality are much as the above three
statements. Believe them at your peril.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Same basic thing as making a product with a brand name on it but the
entire insides are a totaly different maker .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable
in the product.
Contains Pears: (1) pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)

"Murder Must Advertise", right? (I saw the TV version. I've never read her
books.)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Don Bowey" wrote in message

I think you are not well informed, and pick up trivia
to try to make some ill-defined point.

You rank with mediocre Trolls.

I can understand my criticized for raising issues that are not closely
connected with this group. But in what way(s) and about what things am I not
well-informed?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

"The Kodak will photograph anything, still or moving, indoors or out."
Slow lens, slow film, slow shutter, no flash. Not likely.

You may not like the result, but I'm sure it *will* take a photograph
whenver the shutter is triggered!

:-)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William R. Walsh" m
wrote in message news:uW5Si.162292$Fc.120843@attbi_s21...
Hi!

"The Kodak will photograph anything, still or moving, indoors or out."
Slow lens, slow film, slow shutter, no flash. Not likely.

You may not like the result, but I'm sure it *will* take a photograph
whenver the shutter is triggered!

:-)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

If the item being photographed isn't visible because the image is grossly
underexposed, can the result be said to _be_ a "photograph" of that item?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default OT - Dorothy L. Sayers & dishonest advertising...

On Oct 19, 11:48 am, "William Sommerwerck"
mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable
in the product.
Contains Pears: (1) pear seed per multiple tons of product.
(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)

"Murder Must Advertise", right? (I saw the TV version. I've never read her
books.)

And (really) most famous for?
Guest reader of which very famous writer & poet's group?

Wimsey was a hobby for her - albeit one that made her rich and famous
- but not what she considered her best work.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" writes:

Lest anyone think I'm just down on Bose, there's plenty of other dishonest
advertising out there.

The recent Apple Macintosh ads were filled with half-truths and outright
lies. Rather than try to _explain_ why the Mac is superior to Windows (I
don't want to get into that argument -- though the Mac has legitimate
advantages, Windows-based computers are, overall, superior), we're treated
to cutesy, simple-minded sound-bite misrepresentations.

About 10 years ago Kodak ran TV ads for their new color films that were
outright lies. And doing some research on early Kodaks, I found the
following statement about the original Kodak:

"The Kodak will photograph anything, still or moving, indoors or out."

Slow lens, slow film, slow shutter, no flash. Not likely.

Sure it will. The results will just be lousy. They will still be
photos (no pun...).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

What is your point?

My point is what i said said fred on a sled in a shed on his head which
is red .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Don Bowey wrote:

Many products are manufactured by company A under contract from company B.
It's been done for years. My very first color TV was a Packard Bell with an
RCA CTC16 chassis.

I hate to break the news to you, Don, but at that time RCA held all
the NTSC color TV patents and almost every US made color TV was built
with RCA chassis and custom cabinets. All they did was stuff the
cabinet, and ship them. After the patents expired, some continued with
RCA chassis for a while. It took time and money to tool up their
production lines for a very competitive market that they had no
experience in.

The worst was Curtis Mathis, who bought the rights to discontinued
RCA chassis designs and built clones in the '70s and '80s. You paid a
premium price for a four to six year old design, and most of the sets
were DOA, or needed some repair at the store. A local furniture store
sold them, and we had to fix every damn one of them before they could be
put on the sales floor. They also sold Morse Electrophonic 'stereos'
that claimed 200 W per channel. They used the same output transistors
as '60s japanese transistor radios, and the speakers were rated at five
watts.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Your Subject: appears to be doubly redundant.......

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Don Bowey wrote:

[...]

Are you suggesting they made a clerical error ?

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/21/07 9:43 AM, in article , "Jamie"
t wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Don Bowey wrote:

[...]

I don't think religion is a factor.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

t wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Don Bowey wrote:

[...]

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/clerical

first entry, Correct them if possible.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The worst was Curtis Mathis, who bought the rights to discontinued
RCA chassis designs and built clones in the '70s and '80s. You paid a
premium price for a four to six year old design, and most of the sets
were DOA, or needed some repair at the store. A local furniture store
sold them, and we had to fix every damn one of them before they could be
put on the sales floor. They also sold Morse Electrophonic 'stereos'
that claimed 200 W per channel. They used the same output transistors
as '60s japanese transistor radios, and the speakers were rated at five
watts.

Nowhere in electronics have I encountered more creatively packaged bull****
than audio amplifier ratings. Peak power, PMPO, music power, there's all
sorts of names for meaningless inflated wattage ratings.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" wrote in message

The worst was Curtis Mathis, who bought the rights to discontinued
RCA chassis designs and built clones in the '70s and '80s. You paid a
premium price for a four to six year old design, and most of the sets
were DOA, or needed some repair at the store. A local furniture store
sold them, and we had to fix every damn one of them before they could be
put on the sales floor. They also sold Morse Electrophonic 'stereos'
that claimed 200 W per channel. They used the same output transistors
as '60s japanese transistor radios, and the speakers were rated at five
watts.

Nowhere in electronics have I encountered more creatively packaged
bull**** than audio amplifier ratings. Peak power, PMPO, music power,
there's all sorts of names for meaningless inflated wattage ratings.

Back in the 70's Clive Sinclair over here, produced an IC based amplifier
with about 5sq cm of heatsink on it, and claimed something ridiculous like
40 watts RMS output or some such nonsense. Turned out that it had been
cooled in liquid nitrogen to get this figure (or so the story goes ... )

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" wrote in message

Nowhere in electronics have I encountered more creatively
packaged bull**** than audio amplifier ratings. Peak power,
PMPO, music power, there's all sorts of names for meaningless
inflated wattage ratings.

These were outlawed by the FTC around years ago.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:
Nowhere in electronics have I encountered more creatively
packaged bull**** than audio amplifier ratings. Peak power,
PMPO, music power, there's all sorts of names for meaningless
inflated wattage ratings.

These were outlawed by the FTC around years ago.

Apart with car audio. ;-)

--
*He's not dead - he's electroencephalographically challenged

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.