Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Vacuum tubes

how do you test vacuum tubes to see if they are any good?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
how do you test vacuum tubes to see if they are any good?

Realistically, with a tube characteristic tester ...

Otherwise, you might be able to test a few types for basic functionality by
subbing them into a known working piece of kit that used the same types, but
you probably wouldn't go down a storm when you popped a tube with an
internal short into great uncle Jimmy's pride and joy vintage radio ... :-\

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

wouldn't go down a storm

I have an inkling of what this means from the context, but would you
mind putting it in American for me?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

wouldn't go down a storm

I have an inkling of what this means from the context, but would you
mind putting it in American for me?

Hi Smitty

I guess it probably comes from the theatre, although I'm not too sure about
that. Perhaps someone else may have heard it in that context? Over here if
an act is really well received - say a comedian or a singer or band perhaps,
it's often said that they "went down a storm" with the audience, which I'm
guessing probably referred originally to the 'storm' of noise created by the
applause and general appreciation, so perhaps that gives you a better idea.
Looking at the phrase again, "a storm" is used descriptively in this case,
rather than as a noun, which is perhaps why its meaning comes across oddly
your side of the pond.

So translated, it means "would not be accepted with much appreciation"
d;~}

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

[...]

Hey Smitty, I just took a look on the 'net to see if I could find anything
that confirmed or otherwise what I said in the post above, and
interestingly, there are several people asking what you did. Just as a
matter of interest, we also say "go down a bundle" here to mean the same
thing. That may come from the phrase "a bundle of laughs" but again, I'm not
sure. It would seem reasonable though, as if something was 'bad' or not well
received, then there would be no cause for laughter or other good cheer. "Go
down a storm" does get used for both positive and negative meanings, but the
same phrase using "bundle" tends only to be used in a negative context.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message ups.com...
how do you test vacuum tubes to see if they are any good?

In the good old days....

You could go down to your local Eckerd drugs and use their TUBE TESTER.
It was a rather large console filled with knobs switches and buttons. You
used a paper scroll to find your tube number i.e. 6V6. Then, you
read the settings for the tube and set the machine accordingly.
In the bottom of the console, were drawers containing new tubes.
Hopefully, if yours was bad, they had a new replacement.

I wonder where they all went?

I have since aquired an old health kit suitcase model but I don't think it works.
I havn't really needed it.

db

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
how do you test vacuum tubes to see if they are any good?

Take them to a troll testing center.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

[...]

Got it. Thanks for your efforts. I infer that your WWW research
unearthed several questions but no authoritative answers. I'd say your
speculation on the etymology of the storm is quite plausible. Not so
sure about bundle, but who am I to say?

Is going down a storm being used positively a more recent innovation,
like the American slang "that's bad" to mean very, very good?

There are books written detailing derivations of colloquialisms, but
even they often disagree, and I suppose we've simply lost the history on
many of them.

The most fascinating language-related thing I've ever seen was an
interview on "BookTV" (an obscure TV network) with someone talking about
the history of the Oxford English dictionary. Seems that was the first
serious effort anywhere in the world to put together a real
comprehensive lexicon of a language as it was actually being used. The
story is as intriguing and suspenseful as any great tale of adventure.
Stunning.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

[...]

I think that "going down a storm" has been used equally in both connotations
for as long as I can remember, over here at least ...

Arfa