DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sata power cable (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/216806-sata-power-cable.html)

Steve[_10_] October 8th 07 12:32 AM

Sata power cable

My newer computer has Sata cables. The main hard drive has a 5-pin power
cable and I want to install a second hard drive but running into power
cable problems.

The Molex connectors coming out of the power supply are all 4-pin, I have
an adapter to convert the Molex into Sata, but the hard drive wasn't found
when I booted.

I read the 5th wire is 3.3v and allows for hot swapping, but I'm wondering
if the the computer couldn't find the hard drive because of the 3.3v.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Andy October 11th 07 09:57 AM

Sata power cable

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 18:32:00 -0500, Steve wrote:

My newer computer has Sata cables. The main hard drive has a 5-pin power
cable and I want to install a second hard drive but running into power
cable problems.

The Molex connectors coming out of the power supply are all 4-pin, I have
an adapter to convert the Molex into Sata, but the hard drive wasn't found
when I booted.

I read the 5th wire is 3.3v and allows for hot swapping, but I'm wondering
if the the computer couldn't find the hard drive because of the 3.3v.

Can anyone help?

Assuming you're running Windows and it's a new drive, Windows
explorer won't see anything until the drive is partitioned (and
formatted).

Thanks in advance.