DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Extend the life the TV lamp (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/216113-extend-life-tv-lamp.html)

[email protected] September 30th 07 07:25 PM

Extend the life the TV lamp

Does anyone know why the lamp goes out? My TV's lamp failed after 2
1/2 years. I disassembled the lamp all the way to the wires to figure
out what is wrong with it. I have concluded that the lamp is filled
with inert gas and sealed with a cheap white compound, after this
white compound is exposed to heat over many hours; it will
disintegrate, cracks, and let the gas to escape leading to lamp to
fail. Solution: SONY should seal the lamp using glass type seal that
is used on the old type household light bulb. The lamp life should be
extended to 50,000 hr.

William Sommerwerck September 30th 07 08:06 PM

Extend the life the TV lamp

I assume this is a joke. Lamps go out because the filament eventually burns
through.

Eeyore September 30th 07 08:28 PM

Extend the life the TV lamp

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I assume this is a joke. Lamps go out because the filament eventually burns
through.

I imagine he meant a cold cathode type backlight for illuminating LCDs.

Graham

James Sweet September 30th 07 10:51 PM

Extend the life the TV lamp

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
I assume this is a joke. Lamps go out because the filament eventually burns
through.

There won't be an incandescent lamp in a TV.

Cold cathode fluorescent lamps fail because the cathodes wear out, usually
the phosphor is depreciated by then as well.

UHP lamps in DLP and LCD sets fail because the quartz arc tube devitrifies,
they run about 3,000 PSI in operation and will fail catastrophically if run
too far past rated life.

William Sommerwerck October 1st 07 12:11 AM

Extend the life the TV lamp

"James Sweet" wrote in message
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

UHP lamps in DLP and LCD sets fail because the quartz arc tube
devitrifies...

My ignorance is showing

Gary Tait October 1st 07 03:45 PM

Extend the life the TV lamp

wrote in news:1191176728.554453.168250@
22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

I have concluded that the lamp is filled
with inert gas and sealed with a cheap white compound, after this
white compound is exposed to heat over many hours; it will
disintegrate, cracks,

The white compound does not seal the contents of the bulb inside it. It
just adheres it to the reflector and other works.

Adrian C October 1st 07 03:55 PM

Extend the life the TV lamp

wrote:
Does anyone know why the lamp goes out? My TV's lamp failed after 2
1/2 years. I disassembled the lamp all the way to the wires to figure

Troll
posting-account=ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0

--
Adrian C

Art October 7th 07 01:23 PM

Extend the life the TV lamp

Certianly hope you did not mind handling the mercury (HG) during that
procedure, BTW did you do in on the kitchen table also?

James Sweet October 7th 07 07:18 PM

Extend the life the TV lamp

"Art" wrote in message
Certianly hope you did not mind handling the mercury (HG) during that
procedure, BTW did you do in on the kitchen table also?

There's very little mercury in one of those lamps. I wouldn't sprinkle it in
my food, but there's no need for the paranoia about it either. An old
thermometer contains hundreds of times the mercury.

Eeyore October 8th 07 02:58 AM

Extend the life the TV lamp

James Sweet wrote:

"Art" wrote in message

Certianly hope you did not mind handling the mercury (HG) during that
procedure, BTW did you do in on the kitchen table also?

There's very little mercury in one of those lamps. I wouldn't sprinkle it in
my food, but there's no need for the paranoia about it either. An old
thermometer contains hundreds of times the mercury.

Our silly excessively risk-averse society has demonised such things without
adequate reason.

Now, if you were mining the stuff, that was different.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almadén

Graham

Sam Goldwasser October 8th 07 01:19 PM

Extend the life the TV lamp

"James Sweet" writes:

"Art" wrote in message
Certianly hope you did not mind handling the mercury (HG) during that
procedure, BTW did you do in on the kitchen table also?

There's very little mercury in one of those lamps. I wouldn't sprinkle it in
my food, but there's no need for the paranoia about it either. An old
thermometer contains hundreds of times the mercury.

There's such paranoia about mercury when so many common chemicals are
much more hazardous.....

I used to play with mercury as a kid and look what happened... I turned
into an engineer. Ooops. :)

Jerry Peters October 8th 07 08:25 PM

Extend the life the TV lamp

Eeyore wrote:

James Sweet wrote:

"Art" wrote in message

Certianly hope you did not mind handling the mercury (HG) during that
procedure, BTW did you do in on the kitchen table also?

There's very little mercury in one of those lamps. I wouldn't sprinkle it in
my food, but there's no need for the paranoia about it either. An old
thermometer contains hundreds of times the mercury.

Our silly excessively risk-averse society has demonised such things without
adequate reason.

I believe that a large part of the problem is that the current crop of
journalists are almost totally ignorant of science and technology,
even perhaps to the point of being afraid of them. Add all sorts of
advocacy groups that invent their own "science" in support of their
causes and you get our current situation.

Jerry

Eeyore October 9th 07 12:30 AM

Extend the life the TV lamp

Jerry Peters wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
James Sweet wrote:
"Art" wrote in message

Certianly hope you did not mind handling the mercury (HG) during that
procedure, BTW did you do in on the kitchen table also?

There's very little mercury in one of those lamps. I wouldn't sprinkle it in
my food, but there's no need for the paranoia about it either. An old
thermometer contains hundreds of times the mercury.

Our silly excessively risk-averse society has demonised such things without
adequate reason.

I believe that a large part of the problem is that the current crop of
journalists are almost totally ignorant of science and technology,
even perhaps to the point of being afraid of them. Add all sorts of
advocacy groups that invent their own "science" in support of their
causes and you get our current situation.

In addition to ignorance you can add 'can't be bothered to research' to the list of
skills held by journalists today. They'll happily reprint any old nonsense they're
spoon fed.

Graham

Michael A. Terrell October 9th 07 10:06 AM

Extend the life the TV lamp

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

There's such paranoia about mercury when so many common chemicals are
much more hazardous.....

I used to play with mercury as a kid and look what happened... I turned
into an engineer. Ooops. :)

You KNOW that you're not supposed to admit that online, Sam! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida