Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Wiring for Basement Remodel

I am getting ready to open up my finish basement walls and do a remodel. I
was planning to just run CAT-5 (I prefer wired over wireless). Is there
something else I need besides CAT-5? Should I use CAT-6?

Is there any other technologies or other things I should consider? Please
be realistic. I am on a tight budget, and am not an early adopter. But at
the same time, I don't want to miss something. Should I consider fiber?
Right now, I have cable, but if I switch to a dish, do I need something
other than coax?

Thanks for any replies.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gb gb is offline

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I am getting ready to open up my finish basement walls and do a remodel.
I was planning to just run CAT-5 (I prefer wired over wireless). Is there
something else I need besides CAT-5? Should I use CAT-6?

Is there any other technologies or other things I should consider? Please
be realistic. I am on a tight budget, and am not an early adopter. But
at
the same time, I don't want to miss something. Should I consider fiber?
Right now, I have cable, but if I switch to a dish, do I need something
other than coax?

Thanks for any replies.

You can alsways use cable raceway/conduit for low voltage cable .. then go
you can pull new cable in future (good idea)

gb

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 29, 12:10 am, "gb" wrote:

You can alsways use cable raceway/conduit for low voltage cable .. then go
you can pull new cable in future (good idea)

gb

I believe electrical code requires it. Run conduit and use plenum
rated cable.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gb gb is offline

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I am getting ready to open up my finish basement walls and do a remodel.
I was planning to just run CAT-5 (I prefer wired over wireless). Is there
something else I need besides CAT-5? Should I use CAT-6?

Is there any other technologies or other things I should consider? Please
be realistic. I am on a tight budget, and am not an early adopter. But
at
the same time, I don't want to miss something. Should I consider fiber?
Right now, I have cable, but if I switch to a dish, do I need something
other than coax?

Thanks for any replies.

FIRST, get a copy of the Carlon Structured Cable Management brochure. I
picked one up to today from my local electronics/network cabling
supplier/distributor in Chicago area.

GO TO web site: http://www.carlon.com

Carlon makes low voltage brackets as well as Resi-Gard flexible raceway and
fittings - from 3/4" diameter up to 2" diameter. Carlon has specific
brackets for both new construction and rework/remodel installations.

Electrical code does require low voltage divider plates IF you co-locate the
low voltage and home AC power boxes. Ethernet cabling and AC power should
NOT occupy the same stud space (unless one is in condiuit)

Depending upon you home --- you can get a flush structure cable panel box or
a sheet of 2' x 4' plywood firmly attached to a wall in an unfinished area.

w9gb

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

FIRST, get a copy of the Carlon Structured Cable Management brochure. I
picked one up to today from my local electronics/network cabling
supplier/distributor in Chicago area.

GO TO web site: http://www.carlon.com

Carlon makes low voltage brackets as well as Resi-Gard flexible raceway
and fittings - from 3/4" diameter up to 2" diameter. Carlon has specific
brackets for both new construction and rework/remodel installations.

Electrical code does require low voltage divider plates IF you co-locate
the low voltage and home AC power boxes. Ethernet cabling and AC power
should NOT occupy the same stud space (unless one is in condiuit)

Depending upon you home --- you can get a flush structure cable panel box
or a sheet of 2' x 4' plywood firmly attached to a wall in an unfinished
area.

w9gb

Lots of great info here and in the links. Thanks!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:18:19 -0000, "
wrote:

On Sep 29, 12:10 am, "gb" wrote:

You can alsways use cable raceway/conduit for low voltage cable .. then go
you can pull new cable in future (good idea)

gb

I believe electrical code requires it. Run conduit and use plenum
rated cable.

Conduit depends on the class of the circuit.

In conduit plenum cable is not needed or desirable.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

I don't know if you're still looking for information...one thing I'd suggest
is to add more plug-in points than you really need now...electrical,
networking...whatever you have in mind, add a few more than you need or
originally planned on.

I'd also check to be sure that your electrical wiring (if you're doing any
of that while in the wall) is in good shape and able to handle the loads you
plan to put on it. I was redoing my own basement and found out that the
electrical wiring was in terrible shape. It was a wonder that it worked at
all!

Now I've got all the power and network connections in place that I need. And
both are reliable/sufficient for the loads present.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I don't know if you're still looking for information...one thing I'd
suggest is to add more plug-in points than you really need
now...electrical, networking...whatever you have in mind, add a few more
than you need or originally planned on.

I'd also check to be sure that your electrical wiring (if you're doing any
of that while in the wall) is in good shape and able to handle the loads
you plan to put on it. I was redoing my own basement and found out that
the electrical wiring was in terrible shape. It was a wonder that it
worked at all!

Now I've got all the power and network connections in place that I need.
And both are reliable/sufficient for the loads present.

William

Thanks. My wiring is questionable. I was thinking of having an electrician
look it over since it'll be exposed, and it's 50 years old

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Buck Turgidson" hath wroth:

I am getting ready to open up my finish basement walls and do a remodel. I
was planning to just run CAT-5 (I prefer wired over wireless). Is there
something else I need besides CAT-5? Should I use CAT-6?

Run conduit and you can decide what to run later. I've done a few
remodels for customer and learned a few things the hard way.
1. The key conduit runs are between floors and the roof.
2. Plan on at least one outlet box per wall. If a door bisects the
wall, you'll need an outlet on both sides of the door as cable runs
across doorways are awkward.
3. Think about structured wiring boxes. The idea is to have
everything come to one place (home run) where it can go to an ethernet
switch, CATV distribution splitter, or fiber optic hub. If that's not
possible, at least have everything on a given floor go one location.

For conduit, I've been using a mix of non-metallic LFNC-B PVC flex and
rigid schedule 40 PVC electrical conduit. Flex is really made for
electrical wiring, but works well with signal wires. It also keeps
the inspectors happy. However, don't mix power wires and signal wires
in the same pipe.

Is there any other technologies or other things I should consider? Please
be realistic. I am on a tight budget, and am not an early adopter. But at
the same time, I don't want to miss something. Should I consider fiber?
Right now, I have cable, but if I switch to a dish, do I need something
other than coax?

You've covered most of the common wires. The following is a checklist
of possible wires and cables:
1. Telco (POTS). CAT3 or CAT5.
2. Ethernet 10/100/1000baseT. CAT5e.
3. Fire and burglar alarm sensors and armored phone line.
4. Security cameras (CAT5 or 75 ohm coax)
5. Rooftop antenna rotator. 6 cond 20AWG flat ribbon.
6. Satellite TV RG-6/u coax.
7. CATV distribution RG-6/u coax.
8. Thermostat and HVAC control. Energy management sensors.
9. Wired intercom.
10. Fiber optic data, video, sound, whatever. TosLink?
11. Lighting control. Emergency lighting control.
12. Ham radio coax cables to antennas and radios.
13. Police/fire/etc scanner antenna. RG-58c/u.
14. Direct CAT5 between DSL splitter and DSL modem.

Can you see now why I prefer to run conduit? There's no way to
effectively plan for such a variety of applications and wiring.

For a satellite dish, you need at least one RG-6/u coax cable. If you
get a dual receiver, such as the DirecTV DVR, where you can record one
channel while watching another, you need two coax runs to the
satellite dish. If you have multiple receivers scattered around the
house, you'll need a Diseq switch, with one coax run per LNB on the
roof, and one coax run per receiver. This can get really complicated
as some LMB's have a built in Diseq switch, where you run one or two
cables per receiver directly to the LMB.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Really appreciate the detailed info.

Basement Remodel Dilemma Bob (but not THAT Bob) Home Repair 0 April 4th 06 07:51 PM
Basement Remodel Dilemma Jeff Home Repair 1 April 4th 06 02:35 AM
Basement Remodel Dilemma John McGaw Home Repair 0 April 4th 06 01:51 AM
basement remodel SeaKan Home Repair 10 December 17th 05 11:30 PM
Kitchen Remodel Wiring [email protected] Home Repair 11 October 30th 05 03:29 AM