Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Setting idling current

Hi...

I decided to check the idling current settings in a Denon AVR-3000. There is
a complicated process involving connecting a meter of test points,
adjusting intermediate voltage settings, then final settings of 3mv +/- .5mv
after 10 minutes .

I have the meter connected exactly as shown in the manual, but all readings
are negative, not positive. Could the manual be in error about this??

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ken123 wrote:

I decided to check the idling current settings in a Denon AVR-3000. There is
a complicated process involving connecting a meter of test points,
adjusting intermediate voltage settings, then final settings of 3mv +/- .5mv
after 10 minutes .

I have the meter connected exactly as shown in the manual, but all readings
are negative, not positive. Could the manual be in error about this??

Is the speaker load still connected ? That can cause errors measuring idling
current.

Otherwise, yes , I'm sure the manual could have got it wrong. If you understand
the circuitry you may be able to deduce it from that.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Ken123 wrote:

I decided to check the idling current settings in a Denon AVR-3000. There
is
a complicated process involving connecting a meter of test points,
adjusting intermediate voltage settings, then final settings of 3mv +/-
.5mv
after 10 minutes .

I have the meter connected exactly as shown in the manual, but all
readings
are negative, not positive. Could the manual be in error about this??

Is the speaker load still connected ? That can cause errors measuring
idling
current.

Otherwise, yes , I'm sure the manual could have got it wrong. If you
understand
the circuitry you may be able to deduce it from that.

Graham

Yes, I left speakers disconnected as per the instructions. I'll study the
schematic. Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ken123" wrote in message
. ..
Hi...

I decided to check the idling current settings in a Denon AVR-3000. There
is a complicated process involving connecting a meter of test points,
adjusting intermediate voltage settings, then final settings of 3mv +/-
.5mv after 10 minutes .

I have the meter connected exactly as shown in the manual, but all
readings are negative, not positive. Could the manual be in error about
this??

If the absolute values are as expected, it could simply be meter polarity.
Sure, the manuals are often wrong and backwards :)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ken123 wrote:
Hi...

I decided to check the idling current settings in a Denon AVR-3000. There is
a complicated process involving connecting a meter of test points,
adjusting intermediate voltage settings, then final settings of 3mv +/- .5mv
after 10 minutes .

**Hint: THAT is not a complicated process. It is one of the easiest
things you can do. Try tuning up an analogue tuner sometime.

I have the meter connected exactly as shown in the manual, but all readings
are negative, not positive. Could the manual be in error about this??

**Swap the meter probes over. In the final analysis, it doesn't matter
anyway. Just adjust for the correct absolute value. Positive or negative
is unimportant.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In all praticality, if the polarity was really incorrect, the amp
would be having problems.

If you do mess with the bias adjustments, make sure that there is no
DC to the speaker outputs with no load. Also check that the DC voltage
ballance is correct.

Refer to the service manual for details. I am speaking genericaly
here, and not model specific.

The service manual should have the proper set-up info for your amp.

Jerry G.
---------

Ken123 wrote:
Hi...

I decided to check the idling current settings in a Denon AVR-3000. There is
a complicated process involving connecting a meter of test points,
adjusting intermediate voltage settings, then final settings of 3mv +/- .5mv
after 10 minutes .

I have the meter connected exactly as shown in the manual, but all readings
are negative, not positive. Could the manual be in error about this??

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jerry G." wrote in message
oups.com...
In all praticality, if the polarity was really incorrect, the amp
would be having problems.

If you do mess with the bias adjustments, make sure that there is no
DC to the speaker outputs with no load. Also check that the DC voltage
ballance is correct.

Refer to the service manual for details. I am speaking genericaly
here, and not model specific.

The service manual should have the proper set-up info for your amp.

Jerry G.
---------

I was pretty much thinking along the same lines. I'll just follow the
instructions and ignore the minus sign. Thanks.

Ken

TRV - What happens at MAX setting. RzB UK diy 10 November 12th 06 06:33 PM
BIOS setting wefixpc Electronics Repair 1 May 1st 06 11:52 PM
Setting Toilet ktech Home Repair 3 February 16th 05 12:13 PM
Set idling current on a Luxman L510 Janne Electronics Repair 2 February 11th 05 07:12 PM
Setting up a new (used) table saw Josh Woodworking 14 September 8th 04 11:18 PM