Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Emerson TV ?

I have just been given an Emerson/Orion 1995 model TC1375A color tv.
The power relay clicks on and off from the power switch, everything
else is totally quiet. There is +150 or so volts at various points on
the chassis when the power is on, but that is as far as I have gone so
far.

Does anyone have any experience with this chassis? If so, what should
I be looking for?

Also, do you think it is worth spending $10 or so for the schematic,
considering the age of the set. I got it second hand so I have no
idea how it was performing before it died, I could do an emission
check on each of the 3 CRT guns by digging out an antique CRT
rejuvenator/tester if I can find it.

Any reasonable/lucid suggestions welcomed.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You will need a scope. Check to see if there are horizontal drive pulses
reaching the base of the horizontal output transistor. At least you will
know if the horizontal scan generator is working. This will indicate that
there is an easier chance to service the horizontal output stage to have
high voltage.

The very first thing is to verify that all the voltages are in correct spec
from the main power supply. This is most important. Simply having 150 Volts
here and there is not a complete criteria to determine if the set will work
or not.

If you are going to start with the set a few dollar investment for the
service manual is not the end of the world.

--

JANA
_____

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
ups.com...
I have just been given an Emerson/Orion 1995 model TC1375A color tv.
The power relay clicks on and off from the power switch, everything
else is totally quiet. There is +150 or so volts at various points on
the chassis when the power is on, but that is as far as I have gone so
far.

Does anyone have any experience with this chassis? If so, what should
I be looking for?

Also, do you think it is worth spending $10 or so for the schematic,
considering the age of the set. I got it second hand so I have no
idea how it was performing before it died, I could do an emission
check on each of the 3 CRT guns by digging out an antique CRT
rejuvenator/tester if I can find it.

Any reasonable/lucid suggestions welcomed.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 17, 9:24 pm, "JANA" wrote:
You will need a scope. Check to see if there are horizontal drive pulses
reaching the base of the horizontal output transistor. At least you will
know if the horizontal scan generator is working. This will indicate that
there is an easier chance to service the horizontal output stage to have
high voltage.

The very first thing is to verify that all the voltages are in correct spec
from the main power supply. This is most important. Simply having 150 Volts
here and there is not a complete criteria to determine if the set will work
or not.

If you are going to start with the set a few dollar investment for the
service manual is not the end of the world.

--

JANA
_____

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

ups.com...
I have just been given an Emerson/Orion 1995 model TC1375A color tv.
The power relay clicks on and off from the power switch, everything
else is totally quiet. There is +150 or so volts at various points on
the chassis when the power is on, but that is as far as I have gone so
far.

Does anyone have any experience with this chassis? If so, what should
I be looking for?

Also, do you think it is worth spending $10 or so for the schematic,
considering the age of the set. I got it second hand so I have no
idea how it was performing before it died, I could do an emission
check on each of the 3 CRT guns by digging out an antique CRT
rejuvenator/tester if I can find it.

Any reasonable/lucid suggestions welcomed.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

I was mostly wondering if this chassis had a reputation for bad
picture tubes or Horizontal output transformers or something that
would make spending the time to trouble-shoot doubtful. Since it
didn't seem to ring any bells here, I'll get the schematic from a
place in Canada that only charges $9.00 USA and go from there. I have
a Tektronix scope, been using their scopes since 1957 (not the same
one), so I shouldn't have any problems once I get started.

Thanx for the comments.

Bob Hofmann

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Before any schematics or scopes i would sit down and test a few large
and low ohm resistors and the horiz osc coil and horiz transistor . I
dont remember seeing any bad picture tubes in that age of emerson stuff
However if the circuit board has bad dark spots under & around big
hot resistors the set probably has alot of mies on it .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On 18 sep, 03:32, "hr(bob) " wrote:
I have just been given an Emerson/Orion 1995 model TC1375A color tv.
The power relay clicks on and off from the power switch, everything
else is totally quiet. There is +150 or so volts at various points on
the chassis when the power is on, but that is as far as I have gone so
far.

Does anyone have any experience with this chassis? If so, what should
I be looking for?

Also, do you think it is worth spending $10 or so for the schematic,
considering the age of the set. I got it second hand so I have no
idea how it was performing before it died, I could do an emission
check on each of the 3 CRT guns by digging out an antique CRT
rejuvenator/tester if I can find it.

Any reasonable/lucid suggestions welcomed.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

check eserviceinfo.com for the manual - free- before buying anything
and the fault finding tips at highlandelectrix.fsnet.co.uk - good
luck.

b.