Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g g is offline

Default ballasts

I have a system that worked. Had a lamp and a ballast. It quit
working. I replaced lamp and ballast, check everything except the voltage
between the ends of the tube. The filiments light. My question, its a two lamp
ballast that has two unused wires. Having only one lamp connected, could this
cause a reduced starting voltage across the lamp. I am suspecting
some weak link and not a hard core problem.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"G" wrote in message
I have a system that worked. Had a lamp and a ballast. It quit
working. I replaced lamp and ballast, check everything except the voltage
between the ends of the tube. The filiments light. My question, its a two
lamp
ballast that has two unused wires. Having only one lamp connected, could
this
cause a reduced starting voltage across the lamp. I am suspecting
some weak link and not a hard core problem.

greg

Are you sure the ballast is wired right? Most North American twin lamp
autotransformer ballasts wire the lamps in series, the output of the
secondary is on the red and blue wires, the yellow wires are only a small
winding to provide cathode heat to the middle cathodes.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g g is offline

In article M6GHi.3333$Ap2.2805@trndny05, "James Sweet" wrote:

"G" wrote in message
I have a system that worked. Had a lamp and a ballast. It quit
working. I replaced lamp and ballast, check everything except the voltage
between the ends of the tube. The filiments light. My question, its a two
lamp
ballast that has two unused wires. Having only one lamp connected, could
this
cause a reduced starting voltage across the lamp. I am suspecting
some weak link and not a hard core problem.

greg

Are you sure the ballast is wired right? Most North American twin lamp
autotransformer ballasts wire the lamps in series, the output of the
secondary is on the red and blue wires, the yellow wires are only a small
winding to provide cathode heat to the middle cathodes.

Yellows on one side, one lamp to reds and another if present to blues on the
other sides. 120 vac. I checked voltages except the actual drive, supposed
to be about 380 vac unloaded. I will measure that next. I had to defeat
contacts to get access. Its all in a big hood. It worked, now it still does ot
even with new parts. I don't imagine there is a problem with the socket since
the filiments light. Its also a UV lamp.

I wired up a strobe once. It would not work in the dark. As soon as you gave
it enough light it would fire.

greg
]
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g g is offline

wrote:

"G" wrote in message
[...]

I am reading the lamp FAQ.

The measurements on the orginal ballast are off. I may have a bad new ballast

greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g g is offline

In article , (G) wrote:
In article ,
(G)
wrote:
In article M6GHi.3333$Ap2.2805@trndny05, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"G" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I am looking at the orginal ballast and another single lamp with RR BBuWG

On the later I measure HV when the lamp in inserted, but there is
no HV open, and the lamp is a perfectly working model. I'm not sure I
understand the no HV concept. Its not present on the orginal non
working model 2 lamp ballast.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g g is offline

In article , (G) wrote:
In article ,
(G)
wrote:
In article ,
(G)
wrote:
In article M6GHi.3333$Ap2.2805@trndny05, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"G" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I ordered another ballast, slightly different. The second ballast didn't seem
to have enough oomph. I did read a open starting voltge almost 200 volts.
It just got loaded down with the tube even though its for a bigger tube ??

I had wonderd if a UV lamp has slightly different requirments, as I found
an old separate listing for Advance UV ballasts. Don't know.

greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

(G) writes:

In article ,
(G) wrote:
In article ,
(G)
wrote:
In article M6GHi.3333$Ap2.2805@trndny05, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"G" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Look for an AC disconnect on one of the socket pins.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

(G) writes:

In article ,
(G) wrote:
In article ,
(G)
wrote:
In article ,
(G)
wrote:
In article M6GHi.3333$Ap2.2805@trndny05, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"G" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Don't know for sure but a UV lamp is just a normal lamp without the
phosphor and probably in a quartz envelope?

BTW, how sure are you that the lamp is good? Sorry if this was mentioned
already.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g g is offline

In article , Sam Goldwasser wrote:
(G) writes:

In article , (G)

wrote:
In article ,
(G)
wrote:
In article ,
(G)
wrote:
In article M6GHi.3333$Ap2.2805@trndny05, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"G" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I am not totally convinced they are good. We tried 3.

greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yellows on one side, one lamp to reds and another if present to blues on
the
other sides. 120 vac. I checked voltages except the actual drive, supposed
to be about 380 vac unloaded. I will measure that next. I had to defeat
contacts to get access. Its all in a big hood. It worked, now it still
does ot
even with new parts. I don't imagine there is a problem with the socket
since
the filiments light. Its also a UV lamp.

I wired up a strobe once. It would not work in the dark. As soon as you
gave
it enough light it would fire.

I am reading the lamp FAQ.

The measurements on the orginal ballast are off. I may have a bad new
ballast

greg

That won't work unless the ignition capacitor within the ballast is shorted,
which I've seen once, the yellows go to an isolated filament winding,
they're not part of the ballast secondary. Put the red wires on one end and
the blue wires on the other and the lamp will light. Better yet, use a
ballast designed to operate a single lamp, they're cheap.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g g is offline

In article dfbIi.16231$mk2.14086@trnddc07, "James Sweet" wrote:

[...]

That might have worked.
The orginal ballast was bad. The replacement just did not do the job.
I fixed the problem when I installed an instant start ballast. The guy at
Grainger suggested a lower power single unit. I had to join the reds and the
yellows, as the 600 volt starting voltage apparently does not need filiments.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

(G) writes:

In article , Sam Goldwasser wrote:
(G) writes:

In article ,
(G)
wrote:
In article ,
(G)
wrote:
In article ,
(G)
wrote:
In article M6GHi.3333$Ap2.2805@trndny05, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"G" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I assume you have tested for continuity of the filaments at both ends?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The measurements on the orginal ballast are off. I may have a bad new
ballast

I am looking at the orginal ballast and another single lamp with RR BBuWG

On the later I measure HV when the lamp in inserted, but there is
no HV open, and the lamp is a perfectly working model. I'm not sure I
understand the no HV concept. Its not present on the orginal non
working model 2 lamp ballast.

I ordered another ballast, slightly different. The second ballast didn't
seem
to have enough oomph. I did read a open starting voltge almost 200 volts.
It just got loaded down with the tube even though its for a bigger tube ??

I had wonderd if a UV lamp has slightly different requirments, as I found
an old separate listing for Advance UV ballasts. Don't know.

Did you even read what I posted? There's a capacitor between the yellow
wires and either the red or blue wires to help ignite the first lamp in the
series chain, you'll measure a voltage between the other colors and the
yellows because of this, but it'll load down with a lamp connected. It
sounds to me like the ballast is behaving precisely as it should, you're
just not connecting it right. It's not designed to operate a single lamp, it
connects both lamps in series, if one is not there, the other will not
light.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

That will work, though if the lamp is not designed for it, it will fail
quickly due to cathode sputter. Instant start ballasts need lamps
specifically designed to be operated without supplemental cathode heat.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g g is offline

In article TZmIi.5718$oc2.5176@trnddc04, "James Sweet" wrote:

[...]

That sounds like good info, but I was trying to go by the orginal
installation, which was exactly as I was trying to do,. The two
blue wires had wirenuts and went noplace. The orginal ballast
had no filiment voltages present. The new ballast lit the filiments
very nice, and now after the third ballast, everything is bluish.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g g is offline

wrote:

[...]

I'll see if I can come up with a number.

greg

occupancy sensor and electronic ballasts. [email protected] Home Ownership 0 May 6th 07 10:57 PM
Ballasts T.J. Home Repair 1 March 9th 07 04:07 AM
Electronic ballasts John Rumm UK diy 3 September 22nd 06 11:29 PM
Shop lighting: magnetic or electronic ballasts? Brian Elfert Woodworking 31 April 3rd 05 06:47 PM
Fluo Light Ballasts Bob Urz Home Repair 9 January 5th 05 07:28 PM