Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

Default how to bypass dremel tool internal variable speed control?

msg wrote:

john wrote:

snip

On older circuit boards when ic's were first introduced it was not
recommended to use high pressure air on the boards. One of the main
failure points on early chips was the bonding of the leads to the
chip. This has since been solved but I still remember having boards
fail after they were blown off with high pressure air.

Interesting. What package types were susceptible to this (or did it
matter)? Metal can TO-x ICs seemed to be the most reliable (RTL, HLL,
some DTL, etc.) but I found a lot of early ceramic packages suffered
from bad seals and permitted fungi to enter and grow inside (this
in equipment that had never been wet, just from operating
environmental conditions). These parts seemed also to lack proper
passivation internally.

Regards,

Michael

The ceramic Ic's were supposed to be more reliable but in fact as you
said they had a higher failure rate. The sealant that they used was not
too good since in many instances the tops would come off the IC . I bet
the sealant was probably a little corrosive too.

The first generation of IC's had a very high failure rate in compared
to todays products. They were very heat sensitive and would act up
above 100 degrees F even though the rating was higher. If I found one
bad ic I would just change out every IC on the whole board that had the
same date code and install a second generation ic with the same number.
On some equipment you would automaticly change out a couple of parts
and it was fixed. One company insisted on using the cheapest parts
available but their advertising sold a lot of equipment in spite of the
poor reliablity of the product. Today ic's and transistors , other than
high power transistors, almost never fail unless something external
blows them out. The industry has come a long way since the fifties when
I first started in electronics.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 07:40:47 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

Thank god for gravity, or the vertical surfaces would be equally
cluttered.

Check the front of the refrigerator.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

wrote:

Thank god for gravity, or the vertical surfaces would be equally
cluttered.

Check the front of the refrigerator.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Then, thank God for magnetism, too. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

According to krw :
In article , clare at
snyder.on.ca says...

[ ... ]

I alwys recommend at least 4 inches off the floor.
Again, you SELECTIVELY read. The "dishwasher" was used for cleanup
after fire and flood damage.

One of the WORST culprits for screwing up electronis today is
CIGARETTE SMOKE.

Shouldn't be too bad today. Twenty years ago, when people smoked in
office buildings... Even so, hardware is cheap. Labor isn't.

Including the labor of re-entering or re-creating lost data. Of
course, proper backup procedures can minimize this.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

Either heal straps on an ESD matting
or floor set-up, or wrist or smock strap versions.

For real people that is a heel strap. You, on the other hand...

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 22:03:27 +0000, James Sweet wrote:

Static electricity and electronics don't mix, not to mention breaking
things. Using a compressor to blow out computers may do more harm than
good.

I do it all the time, never had an issue with it. One thing I have learned
though is to stay away from optical drives with the air, more than once
I've stirred up dust which settled in and ruined the optics.

I put a finger or thumb on the hub of the fan blades - it kind of scares
me when they spin up to 1000's of RPM; some motors become generators when
spun.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 03:22:47 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
clare, at, snyder.on.ca wrote:

Never heard of a pressure regulator? 15psi air won't damage anything,
and except in desert conditions moisture is generally more of a problem
with shop air than static charge.

I suppose you've never heard of a special nozzle made for
electronics. It has a radioactive isotope to prevent static problems.
Microdyne leased two of them for the production floor, because the
manufacturer didn't sell them.

Central Florida isn't a desert, but I suppose you've never seen a
commercial air compressor with a dryer?

Of course it needs to be dried; every day we have to empty the
water out of the bottom of our compressor tank, probably because
the vapor gets compressed right along with the air, and condenses
out.

But I'd think it would take some heroics to actually _dessicate_ the
air; and I'd think that in FL there'd be enough ambient humidity
to drain off any static.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40211

But I'd think it would take some heroics to actually _dessicate_ the
air; and I'd think that in FL there'd be enough ambient humidity
to drain off any static.

If it's that humid in the plant, you have way too many problems with
the reflow ovens and toombstoning.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 04:18:09 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

Either heal straps on an ESD matting
or floor set-up, or wrist or smock strap versions.

For real people that is a heel strap. You, on the other hand...

Spelling lames? Hahahah... You're a joke, boy.

Try to stay on topic... wait.. you would have to actually know what
is going on to do that...

No, you are the joke, and a consistently lame speller. You love to
point it out when others make mistakes, yet continue to make your own.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 18:30:24 -0700, IAmTheSlime wrote:
On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 20:08:19 GMT, Rich Grise wrote:
On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 22:03:27 +0000, James Sweet wrote:

Static electricity and electronics don't mix, not to mention breaking
things. Using a compressor to blow out computers may do more harm
than good.

I do it all the time, never had an issue with it. One thing I have
learned though is to stay away from optical drives with the air, more
than once I've stirred up dust which settled in and ruined the optics.

I put a finger or thumb on the hub of the fan blades - it kind of scares
me when they spin up to 1000's of RPM; some motors become generators when
spun.

Not when they plug into the wall, and have no permanent magnets in them
or no energized field coils.

Years ago, I saw a guy take a new muffin fan - just the fan - and spin
it up with air.

I saw an arc.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 19:13:15 -0400, Gerald Miller
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:37:43 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

krw wrote:

In article ,
says...
krw wrote:

In article ,
says...

If you install a bigger fan it will either remove all of the cat's
hair, or suck it into the computer. ;-)

"It" being the cat, I assume you mean. ...makes too much noise. ;-)

Then the fan isn't big enough! ;-)

Perhaps (noise(cat) + noise(fan)) is constant? ...like "all bicycles
weigh 25lbs., if you include the lock".

I was thinking that if the fan was big enough the cat wouldn't go
near it, or would be blown out the exaust port, if it did. ;-)

Last time I saw a cat go through a fan, it went in white and came out
mostly red.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Im bottle feeding a kitten (the other 2 didnt make it more than a
day), not weaned yet, whose momma decided to sleep on that nice warm
forklift engine. The client knew there were kittens and kept an eye
on them for a couple days and realized that momma was not going to
care for them. He thought she had abandoned them...until she started
to stink. He found everything other than her head. Took a while to
get most of the pieces out of the forklift though. They finally
resorted to a pressure washer.....

I figure they were without food or water for about 5 days. Two died,
the third is a loud, hungry, obnoxious little asshole.
Ive named her Hillary.

Gunner
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

wrote:

I was thinking that if the fan was big enough the cat wouldn't go
near it, or would be blown out the exaust port, if it did. ;-)

Last time I saw a cat go through a fan, it went in white and came out
mostly red.

So, cats can qualify for the 'Darwin Award', too?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

Gunner wrote:

Im bottle feeding a kitten (the other 2 didnt make it more than a
day), not weaned yet, whose momma decided to sleep on that nice warm
forklift engine. The client knew there were kittens and kept an eye
on them for a couple days and realized that momma was not going to
care for them. He thought she had abandoned them...until she started
to stink. He found everything other than her head. Took a while to
get most of the pieces out of the forklift though. They finally
resorted to a pressure washer.....

I figure they were without food or water for about 5 days. Two died,
the third is a loud, hungry, obnoxious little asshole.
I've named her Hillary.

Gunner

Good luck with her, Gunner.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:09:44 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Im bottle feeding a kitten (the other 2 didnt make it more than a
day), not weaned yet, whose momma decided to sleep on that nice warm
forklift engine. The client knew there were kittens and kept an eye
on them for a couple days and realized that momma was not going to
care for them. He thought she had abandoned them...until she started
to stink. He found everything other than her head. Took a while to
get most of the pieces out of the forklift though. They finally
resorted to a pressure washer.....

I figure they were without food or water for about 5 days. Two died,
the third is a loud, hungry, obnoxious little asshole.
I've named her Hillary.

Gunner

Good luck with her, Gunner.

Got a really odd look the other day..working on a machine too, told
the customer Id be right back, I needed to go feed the baby.

He followed me out to my truck and within a couple minutes, he is
standing there in the middle of the parking lot with a tiny baby
bottle in one hand..feeding a hungry kitten in the other.each making
baby noises at each other, and a big grin on his face as Hillary made
bread on his hands, sucking on the bottle.

Gunner
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical
krw krw is offline

In article ,
says...
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

[...]

I guess you did name her appropriately. ...except it's Bill sucking
on the bottle.

--
Keith
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

wrote:

I was thinking that if the fan was big enough the cat wouldn't go
near it, or would be blown out the exaust port, if it did. ;-)

Last time I saw a cat go through a fan, it went in white and came out
mostly red.

So, cats can qualify for the 'Darwin Award', too?

Sorry, no. Sentient and self aware thinking beings only.

One of the key elements of earning a DA as I see it is doing
something extremely stupid with the advance knowledge that it is
extremely stupid, but you deliberately go ahead and do it anyway.

"Here, hold my beer and watch this!"

-- Bruce --

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

wrote:

I was thinking that if the fan was big enough the cat wouldn't go
near it, or would be blown out the exaust port, if it did. ;-)

Last time I saw a cat go through a fan, it went in white and came out
mostly red.

So, cats can qualify for the 'Darwin Award', too?

Sorry, no. Sentient and self aware thinking beings only.

Umm. Cats are all three.

The problem is that it's hard to interview them.

Joe Gwinn

One of the key elements of earning a DA as I see it is doing
something extremely stupid with the advance knowledge that it is
extremely stupid, but you deliberately go ahead and do it anyway.

"Here, hold my beer and watch this!"

-- Bruce --

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:17:04 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

wrote:

I was thinking that if the fan was big enough the cat wouldn't go
near it, or would be blown out the exaust port, if it did. ;-)

Last time I saw a cat go through a fan, it went in white and came out
mostly red.

So, cats can qualify for the 'Darwin Award', too?

Sorry, no. Sentient and self aware thinking beings only.

Umm. Cats are all three.

The problem is that it's hard to interview them.

Joe Gwinn

Its easy to interview them. However...if they dont like you, or get
bored...they wont tell you ****.

Gunner

One of the key elements of earning a DA as I see it is doing
something extremely stupid with the advance knowledge that it is
extremely stupid, but you deliberately go ahead and do it anyway.

"Here, hold my beer and watch this!"

-- Bruce --

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 18:39:22 -0400, krw wrote:
In article ,
says...
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

Umm. Cats are all three.
The problem is that it's hard to interview them.

Okay, maybe 'sentient' would be a better word than 'self-aware', but
I still stand behind the statement.

They are very good at asking for more food (demanding), and more pets!

On their terms.

Belly petting ONLY when Belly is authorized!

When mine shows you his belly, don't believe it. It's bait!

Only if you're a cheeken and give up too easy. I call their bluff
if they try using claws - they get their paw slapped and a "No!"

If I start with the belly rubbins I'm going to keep doing it, and
they're going to damn well stop complaining and just sit there and
enjoy it. And it never fails, thirty seconds later they're purring
loud enough for CalTech to pick it up on the seismographs...

The cats are the masters... we are at their beckon call! :-]

Dogs have masters; cats have staff.

Oh youbetcha!

-- Bruce --

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical
msg msg is offline

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

You never met my twenty pound "George Orr" cat. He was an effective
dreamer.

This is the first reference to "Lathe of Heaven" I have encountered on
Usenet (then again I haven't searched for one either ).

Regards,

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

Gerald Miller wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:37:43 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

I was thinking that if the fan was big enough the cat wouldn't go
near it, or would be blown out the exaust port, if it did. ;-)

Last time I saw a cat go through a fan, it went in white and came out
mostly red.

So, cats can qualify for the 'Darwin Award', too?

Sorry, no. Sentient and self aware thinking beings only.

Umm. Cats are all three.

The problem is that it's hard to interview them.

Its easy to interview them. However...if they dont like you, or get
bored...they wont tell you ****.

Anthropomorphizing cats is a sign of serious mental illness.

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical
krw krw is offline

In article ,
says...

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

[...]

Our "short-bus kitty" (Louis) just went to the vet for a checkup,
shots, and drugs for the move. He tilted the scales at 26#. He's a
Maine-Coon X mutt, monster. He doesn't like his belly rubbed either,
but will just leave. The other one is an all-black, all-American
short-hair. He's the one with the attitude issues.

If you violated the authorized belly rule, you may just be pulling back
a bloody stump!

He's de-clawed, but the backs are their real weapons. The fronts are
just for show.

I have a picture of him next to a stack of albums, and he dwarfs them!

We would comb fur out of him, make fur balls big enough to make another
cat, and we attacked them viciously!

If we placed a tiny plastic army man in his water dish, however, he
would "save his life" by reaching in with his paw, and scooping him out
from underneath in a very delicate manner, then sniffing at it along side
the dish to check for life signs.

George Orr was a cool cat! Sad that he is now in kitty heaven... sad
for me... I am sure he is fine.

He used to be able to jump all the way up on the frige, but he quit
doing it when his enormity got to be so much that his paws hurt on his
"return to earth". We think he was trying to achieve escape velocity.

Nope... one did NOT force one's way into the furry softness that was
"Authorized Belly". It was a rare treat, and encroachment was cause for
lacerations!

"Thunder" does it for play. He'll roll over and put his paws in the
air, right in front of you, and stretch . He's cute, but what he
really wants is for you to put your arm where he can grab and shred
it.

--
Keith

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical

replying to Claude Desjardins, Tinydikswinger wrote:
120 psi hell if you are running the HF junkers have some fun and give em @ 180
-190psi ...They have a much diffrent sound at those pressures and the
neighbors will all be over finding out jusy what the hell all that screaming
is about. I usually run my high speed cutoffs and such that high but get good
wheels because them Chinese garbage discs will wear out quick as all heck and
they tend to fly apart at wellheck any speed so save yourself a trip to the ER
and at least use good abrasives. Now party on fellers and lets also get them 7
1/4" saw cutoff wheels on them 4 1/2" angle grinders,they gyrate like no other
and are only 1 hand operated then but its like supercharging your lil grinder.
Rip **** and have fun

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...rol-77099-.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

13 years later......
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In the Dremel's I've taken apart there are few components because it's triac speed control (light dimmer).

probably close to this: https://www.electroschematics.com/mo...or-with-triac/

A jumper between the two terminals other than the one going to T2 is all you have to do.

if there is a number on the part. You jump MT1 to MT2.

e.g. https://www.nteinc.com/specs/5600to5...nte5621_27.pdf

All pin outs may not tbe the same.