Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Luxman R115 with balance control static

I have a Luxman R115 that gives left channel static when I turn the
balance control. As soon as I let go of the control the static stops,
though the sound on the left channel may have less volume than it
should. I can easily fix the volume by playing with the control.
Could this just be a dirty control? If so how can I fix it? If not,
does it sound repairable, given the Luxman is an older unit? Other
than this problem the receiver is perfect.

George

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

you've probably got oxidization on the contacts. pick up a spray
cleaner designed to clean potentiometers, unplug unit and try spraying
the contacts and twisting it back and forth while you do it. You will
probably have to remove either the control or the front panel of your
unit first.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Georgepag" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a Luxman R115 that gives left channel static when I turn the
balance control. As soon as I let go of the control the static stops,
though the sound on the left channel may have less volume than it
should. I can easily fix the volume by playing with the control.
Could this just be a dirty control? If so how can I fix it? If not,
does it sound repairable, given the Luxman is an older unit? Other
than this problem the receiver is perfect.
George

I had an LV-102 with the same problem. A clean did not fix the problem.
I got a new replacement control from this guy:- sven (at) eiman.se
Ask nicely, quite reasonably priced as well. Colin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Georgepag" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a Luxman R115 that gives left channel static when I turn the
balance control. As soon as I let go of the control the static stops,
though the sound on the left channel may have less volume than it
should. I can easily fix the volume by playing with the control.
Could this just be a dirty control? If so how can I fix it? If not,
does it sound repairable, given the Luxman is an older unit? Other
than this problem the receiver is perfect.

George

A decent switch cleaner / lubricant in an aerosol can, will probably recover
it. The trick is to find a hole in the case of the pot, where you can get a
good squib of the stuff to go inside. Usual places are where the track
connection pins exit the pot body (you may have to turn the amp on its side
or upside down to help persuade the cleaner to go in) or a small hole at the
top of the pot, or a 'slot' where the metal has been punched in to form the
wiper end stop. Once you've got cleaner in there, you need to *vigourously*
scrub the track by twisting the shaft back and forth from end to end for a
good 15 seconds. You can do that with the amp on, and if you are doing any
good, you will hear the crackle diminish, and hopefully go away altogether.

For a pot that's not 'used' and hence suffering a worn track, such as a
balance control, it is rare to come across one that won't recover if the job
is done properly, with good qaulty cleaner. I use Servisol Super 10 in my
workshop, and have done for years.

Arfa