Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default De-Gauss coil thermistors in TVs

Those usually 3-legged black blocks containing 2 PTC disc thermistors.
One of a few tens of ohms (cold) feeding to the coil and one of a few
hundred ohms (cold) connected between live and neutral , what is the
function of the one across the mains ?
As that one is separated from the other by 2 sets of spring clips, it cannot
be there for indirectly heating the one feeding the coil for quick
completion.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" wrote in message
Those usually 3-legged black blocks containing 2 PTC disc thermistors.
One of a few tens of ohms (cold) feeding to the coil and one of a few
hundred ohms (cold) connected between live and neutral , what is the
function of the one across the mains ?
As that one is separated from the other by 2 sets of spring clips, it
cannot
be there for indirectly heating the one feeding the coil for quick
completion.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Isn't the second one across the back side of the first, rather than directly
across the mains? Sort of a two thermistor series / shunt arrangement. I
seemed to recall from my long-ago theory days, that they were the inverse of
each other, and that the one that's across is initially high resistance, and
gets lower as it heats up, to shunt the degausing coils, mitigating their
effect, and keeping the series thermistor hot - and hence in the high
resistance condition - by continuing to draw just enough current through it
to do that. Could be wrong - it's been a long time ago - but it 'feels'
right, and seems to work, in my head at least ... !!

Mind you, I'm going back to when they were two (definitely) different
individual components. The series one was a granular grey, and the shunt was
a little smaller diameter and a little thicker, with a mainly blue (painted)
body, with a yellow stripe at the top. I've probably still got some
somewhere. But perhaps they've come up with some other way of doing it since
they've encapsulated the two elements together.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N Cook" wrote in message
[...]

This is the basic circuit from the schematic and values from an actual TV.
The 16 ohm one is PTC but the 470 one across the mains is NTC heating each
in turn with a soldering iron. The schematic states PTC for both so more
mystery
On closer inspection the two discs are in good thermal contact to the
central pin extended to a dividing metal disc but good thermal contact, the
spring plate connections are on the outer contacts.

ASCII , view in Courier or perhaps Properties/ Message Source

|-------------
\.-. |
|\| C|
16 | |\ C| degauss coil
'-' C|
| |
L ------------| |
\.-. |
|\| |
240V 470| |\ |
'-' |
| |
N -------------------------
(created by AACircuit v1.28.6 beta 04/19/05 www.tech-chat.de)

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" writes:

Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Geez, there's a program to draw mediocre ASCII schematics?

I believe your discarded explanation is correct. The second one
is there to keep the series thermistor hot after the initial surge
through the degauss coil.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Based on that then, you'd have to say that it was just a physical contact
thing. I'll have to see if I've still got any of my old TV schematics about,
to see what the configuration was before they put both together in a single
package.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote in message
"N Cook" writes:

Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above

is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included

in the

I found a similar one and tested that and NTC again for the "heater"
section.
But that can't be the case, presumably it must initially be NTC and then go
positive above 150 degrees or something.
I will try heating longer and see what happens

I assumed the one feeding the coil would reach some stable elevated
resistance and stay in that stable state at some elevated temp until
switched off.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yes the heater one dropped 50 ohms or so and then rattled rapidly up to more
than 150K with continued heating from a soldering iron.

So I've learnt something else today.

Now just to discover the source of manure smells off kit.
Currently orking on a Fender Pro 185 from 1989 and the workshop has a
noticeable smell of manure. On poking my nose directly over caps,
transformer, cabinet (for fish glue or something) etc I cannot localise it.
I looked at another of this exact same model a few months ago and no such
smell.
A year ago I repaired a JBL domestic amp from the 1960s and that had a very
strong , even stronger, manure smell, but again could not localise the
smell.
With reservations about breaking the "special relationship" one common
factor is they were both made in the USA.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 08:30:01 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

"N Cook" wrote in message
[...]

I think that's correct. Whenever I suspected a 3-pin thermistor as the
cause of a blown fuse, I used to shake it and listen for rattling.

- Franc Zabkar